Which 2 pairs will China send to Worlds | Golden Skate

Which 2 pairs will China send to Worlds

Which 2 pairs will China send to Words

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The Chinese only have 2 spots for Worlds. Who will they end up sending out of Pang & Tong, Sui & Han, and Zhang & Zhang. I think if P&T want to go they will be sent, and after 4CCs Sui & Han are a lock. The Zhangs are the odd ones out unless P&T dont want to do Worlds this year, but given that they have been back competing I suspect they will.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm not sure whether Pang & Tong will want to go if Sui & Han are going. That might play into how the decision is made. P&T are great skaters, but their technical content has been on the low side. They might choose to retire instead. Taking a year off is pretty close to retiring.

Another thing that would feed into the decision is whether Zhang Hao's hand is finally healed, since he injured it again at the GPF on his last lift. They skated very well there, and if their last lift had counted would have finished higher. Their jumps were particularly good, as well as their throws and twists. And their unison in spins and f/w has improved. What suffered was their lifts, because of Hao's hand, and also because Zhang Dan is relatively tall, so things have to be just right on their lifts.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I'm not sure whether Pang & Tong will want to go if Sui & Han are going. That might play into how the decision is made. P&T are great skaters, but their technical content has been on the low side. They might choose to retire instead. Taking a year off is pretty close to retiring.

Another thing that would feed into the decision is whether Zhang Hao's hand is finally healed, since he injured it again at the GPF on his last lift. They skated very well there, and if their last lift had counted would have finished higher. Their jumps were particularly good, as well as their throws and twists. And their unison in spins and f/w has improved. What suffered was their lifts, because of Hao's hand, and also because Zhang Dan is relatively tall, so things have to be just right on their lifts.

All good points. Interesting, do you think Pang & Tong might be afraid of Sui & Han. Sui & Han havent beaten either of their teammates yet, but they havent really skated their best against them either.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's hard to know. But the score S&H just put up would scare almost any team. P&T have an Olympic medal, World Championship, and so forth. Do they need the aggravation of competition any more?

I don't know, but I do wonder.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think a bigger factor for Pang & Tong might be if they think they can still beat the Worlds top 2 pairs right now- Savchenko & Szolkowy and Volosozhar & Trankov. They would have to be in their 2010 form to even come close, and that was probably the only season of their career they were that consistent with jumps and that confident. If they dont think they can win another World title or contend for the 2014 Olympic Gold there isnt much point in continuing. They are already 2 time World winners and Olympic Silver medalists after all. There isnt much point of just hoping to win a silver or bronze in a best case scenario.

mmcdermott

On the Ice
So, if Sui and Han are competing at junior worlds, does that mean they won't be going to senior worlds? That doesn't make much sense. They're clearly ready to compete with the top senior teams, and there doesn't seem to be much point to them just going to junior worlds and winning (again).

DianaSelene

Medalist
So, if Sui and Han are competing at junior worlds, does that mean they won't be going to senior worlds? That doesn't make much sense. They're clearly ready to compete with the top senior teams, and there doesn't seem to be much point to them just going to junior worlds and winning (again).

I thought they can do both. Either way, I don't understand why they would choose to do both this year. If they will be able to go to seniors, why go to juniors?

lcd

Match Penalty
Keen to see what Pang and Tong deliver. Very Shen and Zhao of them to do this Worlds 'cameo' thing. Actually feel badly for the Zhangs. They soldiered through the season with his injury not quite healed. Wish they could be at Worlds.