• Navka and Kostomarov

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Elena Liashenko

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Jeffrey Buttle

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Whom would you name as the 2003 Figure Skater of the Year (The period covers ONLY 2003 and goes through the end of the Grand Prix Finals.)

PAIRS AND DANCE COUPLES will be counted as ONE SKATER

I am listing my reminesences(sp) of 2003, in no particular order. Please dispute oradd your own choices to describe.

Evgeni Plushenko The quad man had his problems this season but managed to win Gold at the Worlds and 3 more gold medals at the GP events.

Michelle Kwan She took on the season with renewed vigor and copt the Worlds Gold. But she avoided the GP events.

Emmanuel Sandhu An unfortunate skater for so long and finally he copts the Grand Prix Gold Finals. Wow!

Sasha Cohen The bicoastal skater continues to thrill the audience with exquisite flexibility and garnered 3 golds at GP events.

Kevin Van Der Perren A breakout European skater whom we will have to watch in the forthcoming year(s).

Fumie Seguri This lady who was consistently an 'also on the podium' skater made her way to the top of the podium Gold at GP Finals.

Song Gao Another breakout skater this time from Asia and one we will be watching closely in competitions to come.

Shizuka Arakawa What a lovely lyrical skater who captures your heart in every competition.

Shen and Zhao What more can be said after Worlds Gold; 2 gold GP events; and Gold GP Final. Whether Puccini or Tschaikowsky they are tops.

Navka and Kostomarov Hard work after last years so so performance brought this team to 3 gold GP event and a Gold GP Final.

Now choose one from the list or add your own, and ONLY ONE as your "Figure Skater of the Year.

Joe

Last edited:
Last edited:

coppelia

Spectator
Song Chai Another breakout skater this time from Asia and one we will be watching closely in competitions to come.

Marin and Kostomarov Hard work after last years so so performance brought this team to 3 gold GP event and a Gold GP Final.

I think you mean Song Gao and Navka & Kostomarov.

Hi Copellia - I certainly do. I'm no known in GS for spelling. I'll change them and thank you.

By the way, I left out Jeffrey Buttle and Elena Liashenko. It kept me from sleeping well.

Joe

CassidyL

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
Shen and Zhao What more can be said after Worlds Gold; 2 gold GP events; and Gold GP Final. Whether Puccini or Tschaikowsky they are tops.

Actually, they have a gold and a silver for GP this year, but I voted for them anyway.
:)

mike79

On the Ice
Shizuka is my choice. She came out of nowhere last year (after being on the scene for awhile) to be a top contender for the gold in any competition she enters. Her edges are to die for and her jumps are marvelous.

Shen&Zhao were my second choice.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
S&Z for me...

Their performances at World's and in the GPF had me holding my breath. There have been no other performances I've seen this year that captivated me so completely as a spectator.

DG

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I voted for Michelle, but if I could have, I would have voted for Shen and Zhao as well........42

pairsfan

On the Ice
Michael didn't skate well and he acted like a jerk at Nationals but if you can make a good case for him, go ahead. I'll listen. I used to like him until everyone here talked me out of it. Thanks!

I picked Shen & Zhao.

Lynn226

On the Ice
I voted for Emanuel Sandhu, but I think that Jeffrey Buttle should have been included, too.

BTW, Sandhu's first name is Emanuel - 1 m only. ;)

Antilles

Medalist
Shen and Zhao. They had a brilliant Wolrds, and did wonderfully at 4Cs last year, and GPF this year. In 2003, they reallly established themselves as the top pair in the World.

I've added Jeffrey and Elena and hopefully I spelled the names correctly.

I also deleted on m from Emanuel and chaged Seguri to Suguri.

Thanks everyone for helping me with spelling.

Joe

Germanice

On the Ice
... and if you change "Cohn" into "Cohen" it'd be perfect! ;)

I picked Shen & Zhao for the most beautiful LP of the year.

Anke

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
LOL Joe...

...I admire your bravery for tackling that list. I can't pronounce most of 'em, much less spell 'em!

DG

FrozenHeart

Rinkside
I´ve voted for Sandhu for just one reason: He made me believe in some interesting men´s events to come after winnig the GPF. I´m not a Evgeni hater, but it would be just boring, for us to watch, and for Evgeni to skate, if there were no competitors.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I voted for Liashenko. She seems to have risen out of the abyss to capture GPF medals, two of them gold! Good for her!