Thread: Can Takahashi Close The Gap On Patrick Chan?

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Can Takahashi Close The Gap On Patrick Chan?

Interesting new article on how Dai will be endeavouring to close the gap on Patrick Chan

Article reads:-

Daisuke Takahashi said Saturday he is ready to accept the harsh reality that he has a lot of ground to forge. "I have to perfect my quadruple jump," said Takahashi, who finished nearly 30 points behind Canadian Chan in the men's program Friday night and failed in his bid to defend his title....Aside from polishing his techniques on big jumps like the quad, Takahashi also believes he will have to continue building his strength...He is even considering training in France during the offseason...."There was a big gap between me and Patrick, which gives me motivation to work harder," Takahashi told reporters at a press conference. "It might be impossible to do it this season, but I want to see how much I can close the gap on him. I need to be able to really compete with him over the next two years (in time for the Sochi Winter Olympics)," he said.

Custom Title
    No. Not unless there happens to be a competition when Takahashi actually lands a quad and skates perfectly while Chan skates terribly (and by terribly, I mean REALLY terribly--like 4 falls and a Zayak).

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    ^ Oh evangeline, please give me sth to dream about

I believe Chan can be reached in Sp (like by Fernandez) but in Lp I dont think so, he has two quads and when he skates clean his Lp scores are huge. Kozuka was close at Worlds 2011, I dont think anyone else has been marked above 180 in Lp.

Without a reliable quad in his SP I don't think so. Dai needs to score big in his SP to have any chance of possibly catching up with Patrick and then only if Patrick makes more than a few mistakes in his LP, but if Patrick is clean, probably not. Patrick right now reminds me of Yuna, untouchable.

Of course I would love to be proved wrong. It is no secret that Dai is my favorite skater.

Custom Title
    While Dai works on closing the gap with Patrick, others are working on closing the gap with him and Patrick is working on widening the gap.

Patrick is right that Dai does not necessarily need 2 quads in his LP, but having one in each program seems to be the a must. Kozuka was able to best Patrick in TES at last Worlds with one good quad and a perfect skate when Patrick didn't do his best but Dai has the PCS in the same league as Patrick so it's doable with one quad and a perfect skate from him. So, that brings up the other important factor, which Kozuka also failed at, which is to do two perfectly clean programs at one competition, something Dai hasn't done in a long time. His 2010 Worlds winning LP had a 2 footed and fallen quad, which won't do this year. His best showing at NHK included an LP with a quad fall and 3 URs while his seanson's best LP at GPF included a flawed quad and, worse, came after a terrible SP, which he can't compensate enough when competing against Patrick.

So I think with Dai's current technical ability, yes he could win if 1) he includes one quad in each program, 2) he performs both programs perfectly clean, and 3) Patrick does not perform both his programs perfectly clean. Quite a few conditions but not out of the realm of possibility on slippery ice.

If Patrick brings his best as at 2010 Canadian Nationals, or even 2011 Nationals, it's probably impossible for anybody to overtake him.

Custom Title
    Yes! No. I don't know! But, oh what a prospect for us fans who might get to witness all of this and more! (guys, please don't hurt yourselves).

I think Dai can come closer to Chan's current base value; but I can't see how he can overcome it this year at least - I mean even with a clean quad in each program (to Chan's 3), and three 3 axels to Chan's two it isn't really surpassing (and yes, I know there are other elements). And to come close to this bv, Dai would have to skate two clean programs - somehow, I think he might have it in him, but, his track record this year points more to a few errors here and there.

I truly adore both of Dai's programs....and really hope to seem him skate all out at Worlds. Should he manage this without injury, I will be a happy fan!!!

ETA I meant to add that if Dai skates clean and his base value comes close to chan with other jumps and levels, I still don't have a sense how, say, a clean Dai and a clean Chan end up on PCS, but I think Chan wins three of them...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    If Patrick brings his best as at 2010 Canadian Nationals, or even 2011 Nationals, it's probably impossible for anybody to overtake him.
    You meant "2011 Canadian Nationals, or even 2012 Nationals", I guess?

Custom Title
    Technically it will be hard. Takahashi's problems are well known. In PCS Chan is the model for best of everything in PCS. Even in Skate Canada SP 2011 he won PCS. PCS is largely an immovable object where everyone is almost always below Chan.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    No. Not unless there happens to be a competition when Takahashi actually lands a quad and skates perfectly while Chan skates terribly (and by terribly, I mean REALLY terribly--like 4 falls and a Zayak).
    Pretty much. Chan would have to do that and Takahashi would have to do that in both programs to boot. The LP of the GPF only showed a very bad Chan will be scored over even a very good Takahashi. The judges dont even consider Takahashi to have better performance and interpretation skills than Chan, which is frankly laughable, but it is what it is.