Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Takahashi Close The Gap On Patrick Chan?

Custom Title
    It will be very hard. You have to expect Patrick to deliver 3 quads toes and 3 triple axels per competition. That's a lot for Dai to make up for technically, given his current success rate with the quad, and you can't make a plan based on the the hope you toughest competitor falls. It seems I've heard rumblings of Patrick adding a quad salchow to his arsenal, maybe he's just trying to spook the rest of the men, but he has shown he can add skills pretty quickly. It's a privileged to watch him continue to improve

Custom Title
    Chan has two triple axels, not three. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to add back the second one.

The 4S was something he mentioned at the beginning of the season, but I think he's either struggled with it or decided he didn't need it. Yet. He might try to add it next season - Worlds in Canada, and a three quad, two 3A skate would be a pretty defiant statement to the World going into the Olympic season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ivy View Post
    It will be very hard. You have to expect Patrick to deliver 3 quads toes and 3 triple axels per competition. That's a lot for Dai to make up for technically, given his current success rate with the quad, and you can't make a plan based on the the hope you toughest competitor falls. It seems I've heard rumblings of Patrick adding a quad salchow to his arsenal, maybe he's just trying to spook the rest of the men, but he has shown he can add skills pretty quickly. It's a privileged to watch him continue to improve
    I absolutely agree with your last sentence. It's a privilege to watch someone like Chan just keep climbing. Even we who love Daisuke are lucky to have someone like Patrick skating right now, where we can watch his talent unfold. I'll be as happy about Takahashi skating his best and winning a silver as I would be with his winning the OGM, if it means that both these men will be giving us skating like we've never seen it before. Remember that wonderful final flight of women in the Vancouver Olympics, where everyone skated lights out and no one fell, and Mao gave us THREE triple axels while YuNa floated over the ice as if she'd trained in the gravitational field of Jupiter or Krypton and then found our paltry gravity a lark? That's what I wish for the men, in this year's worlds, next year's worlds, and the Olympics. And wherever Daisuke lands, if he skates the way only he can, I'll remember it forever with a smile, and if Patrick tops that, I'll be thrilled for the chance to witness it.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I don't see anyone but Patrick taking the golds unless he literally falls 3 or more times. The favoritism and all the points he wracks up with the high speed footwork is what they want to see.
    There are lots of opinions, but I think you have worded this in a way that is needlessly unkind to Patrick.

This is a sport. Under the rules of the sport Patrick scores more points than anyone else. That's why he wins.

(I like Daisuke's skating, too.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    If Patrick brings his best as at 2010 Canadian Nationals, or even 2011 Nationals, it's probably impossible for anybody to overtake him.
    You meant "2011 Canadian Nationals, or even 2012 Nationals", I guess?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    The only thing Takahashi needs is more consistency on the jumps. He can do it too; let's not forget his epic display of jumping at 2008 Four Continents and 2008 Nationals. His 2006 NHK and 2007 Nationals performances were up there as well and 2007 Worlds was close.
    You have to remember that performance was four years and one bad injury ago. Dai is a great skater, but he has past his peak.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Boeing787 View Post
    You meant "2011 Canadian Nationals, or even 2012 Nationals", I guess?
    Well, I was thinking more about the LP which was as good as it gets in 2010 when he doubled his 3A in the SP. His scores went up even more in 2011 because of a better SP and even higher PCS.

Per Patrick's own words early this season, his focus was on the representation side as well as skating skills. (And we can see progress on both fronts as well as his 3A.) The 4S just sort of happened on its own sometime later. He has shelfed it for now as he is a little behind in schedule, understandably as a result of a short and busy summer, and he is uncertain about going for 4S or 4F. He will put in a new quad only when it's 80% successful and without sacrificing choreography.

Both Chan and Takahashi have acknowledged being pushed on by the other. We and the sport are the lucky beneficiaries.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    The only thing Takahashi needs is more consistency on the jumps. He can do it too; let's not forget his epic display of jumping at 2008 Four Continents and 2008 Nationals. His 2006 NHK and 2007 Nationals performances were up there as well and 2007 Worlds was close.
    That was before his one year break from the surgery but I think just the quad became unstable after that cause in all the rest he came back even better!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I absolutely agree with your last sentence. It's a privilege to watch someone like Chan just keep climbing. Even we who love Daisuke are lucky to have someone like Patrick skating right now, where we can watch his talent unfold. I'll be as happy about Takahashi skating his best and winning a silver as I would be with his winning the OGM, if it means that both these men will be giving us skating like we've never seen it before. Remember that wonderful final flight of women in the Vancouver Olympics, where everyone skated lights out and no one fell, and Mao gave us THREE triple axels while YuNa floated over the ice as if she'd trained in the gravitational field of Jupiter or Krypton and then found our paltry gravity a lark? That's what I wish for the men, in this year's worlds, next year's worlds, and the Olympics. And wherever Daisuke lands, if he skates the way only he can, I'll remember it forever with a smile, and if Patrick tops that, I'll be thrilled for the chance to witness it.
    Olympia, you have such a lovely way with words! You seem like such a wonderful person. Never change!

Banned
    Definitely not. Far more likely is that Abbott, Hanyu, Fernandez, and Kozuka continue to close the gap on him. I wouldnt be surprised if he came 3rd or 4th at Worlds, that is about 10 times more likely than him coming 1st. I like Takahashi alot too but lets get real here. The only ones who might challenge Chan in the future are skaters younger than him with alot of improvement left.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    No. Not unless there happens to be a competition when Takahashi actually lands a quad and skates perfectly while Chan skates terribly (and by terribly, I mean REALLY terribly--like 4 falls and a Zayak).
    Pretty much. Chan would have to do that and Takahashi would have to do that in both programs to boot. The LP of the GPF only showed a very bad Chan will be scored over even a very good Takahashi. The judges dont even consider Takahashi to have better performance and interpretation skills than Chan, which is frankly laughable, but it is what it is.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Definitely not. Far more likely is that Abbott, Hanyu, Fernandez, and Kozuka continue to close the gap on him. I wouldnt be surprised if he came 3rd or 4th at Worlds, that is about 10 times more likely than him coming 1st. I like Takahashi alot too but lets get real here. The only ones who might challenge Chan in the future are skaters younger than him with alot of improvement left.
    Abbott is almost a year older than Takahashi.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Abbott is almost a year older than Takahashi.
    I know but he is a super late bloomer. He wasnt even known at the National level until he was 23.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    There are lots of opinions, but I think you have worded this in a way that is needlessly unkind to Patrick.

This is a sport. Under the rules of the sport Patrick scores more points than anyone else. That's why he wins.

(I like Daisuke's skating, too.)
    No unkindness..and you think he should win with falls like that? I think from your posts you don't find it right, understandable, or good for the fans...

Custom Title
    http://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/195587

Interesting article by a respected sports journalist Akiko Tamura.
    I don't have time now to translate but maybe someone on this forum could kindly do the job?

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast