Can Takahashi Close The Gap On Patrick Chan? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Can Takahashi Close The Gap On Patrick Chan?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
You are just wonderful Olympia, kind and always insightful, even when most all of us speak our minds (as allowed!) thanks to anonymity on the internet. We have a cadre of rich, rich former skaters, most olympic gold medalists and World champs who skated post whack. Many of them could do what Weiss does. How about Scott, Peggy, Button and more (did you SEE Wylies Summer home-LOL Wowzer!) and he isn't nearly as rich as Boitano. Singlehandedly they could find and groom a Latina woman and a black man-rags to riches, under dog, the media eats it up and so does all of America!

It was amazing what Susan Boyle did with record sales here in America. Good voice, but people loved the frumpy mmiddleaged cat lady who lost her mom, who sang with hope. Simon Cowell helped her. It takes only one person to bring uncommon favor to a life with talent. Look at what Jennifer Lopez did in her forties with that s0-s0 dance video. She has a huge Latina base in America. And the gay community keeps Johnny Weir out there, so to speak, and earning more money than Evan Lysacek, or so it would appear.

The skating eqivalent of Whitney Houston has to be brought along for years, but Scott Hamilton and the rich folk can't survive in their style without a mainstram base. It is in their best interest to find a couple kids who skate like Michelle and support them, just they way the Canadian Chinese community is doing for Patrick.

Now, it's late and I'm silly, but I'd like to see a poor puerto rican kid take America by storm al la Kwan/Cohen or Lipinski and get a lot of money from Donald Trump. I know NYC has the next huge star who looks like Debi Thomas or rudi Galindo! Nothing sells in America like rags to riches! The powers that be in skating just need a plan. Scott Hamilton, are you listening?:laugh:

Last edited:

hurrah

Medalist
Evan did not get much ride out of that gold medal with endorsements, and I don't get why. He is very marketable and America watches DWTS. I find it sad a nice kid can't recoup some of his parents money. Everyone knows Johnny Weir though, and he is doing quite well after years of shameless at times self promotion.

Seriously? I completely get why Johnny Weir is far more marketable than Evan Lysacek.

1. Is the skater a judge’s favorite? Was the medal bought politically?
Evan won the gold medal but it came attached with the notion that he managed to win gold despite his waxel because he and Frank Carroll effectively politicked to the Federation. I have no way of confirming whether this was true or not. But I can read about it on the internet. Anyone can read about it on the internet. So whether it’s true or not, the rumor exists and therefore Evan’s gold medal is deemed a bought medal afa the public is concerned. Johnny Weir didn’t do so well during the Olympics, but again, on the internet, it’s clear that Johnny was not liked by the judges, so the public can assume that he got less than he deserved.

2. Physical attraction
I personally consider Evan Lysacek to be quite attractive, but his look is not today’s look. His nose is too big and he is too leggy. Johnny Weir has the perfect pretty boy look with just right physique (though he can get a bit fat if he’s not careful). So looks-wise, Johnny wins.

3. Personal history
Sure Evan’s a nice kid but what else is there to his life story? He’s not gay. He’s never had to live in a trailer. Public want interesting life stories and Johnny’s got ‘em. Also, Johnny far more interesting to listen to than Evan.

I look at the way Patrick Chan is being promoted and I always wonder if his promoters know what they’re doing. He has such an established reputation for being the judge’s favorite, even if he wins the Gold medal at Sochi with a deserving performance, he’s probably not going to be that marketable. If I were his promoters, I would take a big risk now and do everything possible from now until maybe six months before Olympics to lose his judge’s favorite image, encouraging judges to under-mark him and call under-rotation left, right and center as if his popularity depends upon it, which I think it does. Patrick is good-looking enough in a conventional sense, but he doesn’t have sex appeal. I guess Patrick has an interesting personal trait in that he’s of Chinese decent and the Canadian-Chinese population will be proud of him no matter what if he gets Gold, but if his promoters want to produce a skater that has wider appeal, his established image as the judge’s favorite will do him in.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Evan is an unremarkable and average skater who won his big events through consistency, luck, others mistakes, determination, Frank Caroll politiking, and extra points for being either the reigning World Champion or hometown boy. He is also a completely unlikeable person, not particularly interesting, and has botched all PR choices he has made in the last year. Easy to see why he has not hit the gravy train based on his Oly Gold.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I look at the way Patrick Chan is being promoted and I always wonder if his promoters know what they’re doing. He has such an established reputation for being the judge’s favorite, even if he wins the Gold medal at Sochi with a deserving performance, he’s probably not going to be that marketable. If I were his promoters, I would take a big risk now and do everything possible from now until maybe six months before Olympics to lose his judge’s favorite image, encouraging judges to under-mark him and call under-rotation left, right and center as if his popularity depends upon it, which I think it does. Patrick is good-looking enough in a conventional sense, but he doesn’t have sex appeal. I guess Patrick has an interesting personal trait in that he’s of Chinese decent and the Canadian-Chinese population will be proud of him no matter what if he gets Gold, but if his promoters want to produce a skater that has wider appeal, his established image as the judge’s favorite will do him in.

This is true as well. Chan is definitely not heading to huge endorsements and earnings after his Sochi Gold the way things are going now.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
It is in their best interest to find a couple kids who skate like Michelle and support them, just they way the Canadian Chinese community is doing for Patrick.

Sounds a little like sour grapes.:laugh:

If Nathan Chen needs money for his skating, I'm sure Chinese-Americans would do the same like what Chinese-Canadians are doing for Patrick Chan.:yes: ...Well, first, Nathan Chen needs to win something bigger to start with. So we have to wait for a few years.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

Nice try. :laugh:

It won't work but keep wishing.

hurrah

Medalist
Code:
Nice try. :laugh:

It won't work but keep wishing.

Are you Patrick's promoter? Look, if Patrick skates to his potential at the Olympics, he's likely to get gold whether he's the judge's favorite or not, right?
But if he wins wearing the judges favorites image, it will negatively impact his value as a product. That's all I'm trying to point out.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Code:

Are you Patrick's promoter? Look, if Patrick skates to his potential at the Olympics, he's likely to get gold whether he's the judge's favorite or not, right?
But if he wins wearing the judges favorites image, it will negatively impact his value as a product. That's all I'm trying to point out.

You are promoting the degrading idea that Chan is "judges' pet". Anyways, if you think his hypothetical promoters can get judges to lowball him, ;), why don't you get the judges to make your favorite/client their pet instead?

Last edited:

hurrah

Medalist
You are promoting the degrading idea that Chan is "judges' pet". Anyways, if you think his hypothetical promoters can get judges to lowball him, ;), why don't you get the judges to make your favorite/client their pet instead?

I don't feel I should be credited for creating Patricks image. Why in god's name would I want my favorite skaters to be seen as judge's favorite? Thats PR suicide.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't feel I should be credited for creating Patricks image. Why in god's name would I want my favorite skaters to be seen as judge's favorite? Thats PR suicide.

Yeah, it's only good to promote Chan to be seen as judges' pet, with seedy implication worse than being a favorite. However, I didn't suggest for you to do that to your favorite. My point is since you believe judges can be lobbied to lowball Chan by his "promoters", they can be influenced to favor your favorite instead, who surely would not be seen as unworthy "judges pet" if they ooze sex appeal, unlike Patrick Chan.

hurrah

Medalist
In all honesty, I believe that no one really wins unless figure skating competitions are deemed to be judged competently and fairly. But if the judging system is deemed faulty, then it's more the runnerups who are likely to win the sympathy of the public.

Last edited:

genki

On the Ice
I wonder where this thread is going. But I can at least say that Dai beats Chan in terms of marketability and he has already made a tons of money by endorsement.
As Kurt always says, Dai is not a skater, but he is a rock star in Japan. His injury and comeback from it pushed him into a hero status rather than a sports figure, even though he lost quads.

I still believe that Dai can catch up with Chan, if he can land quads and, this is a big AND if judges starts to appropriately judge artistic aspect of this sports. I really do not understand why they behave that they do not know anything about artistry at all these days in judging man's skating. I was totally shocked to see that Patrick won in Fs over near perfect Dai at GPF.

Dai's team believes that quads will be back, considering that his triples and 3a became much better after the bolt was removed and according to Utako-sensei, it is a matter of time,since Dai had reliable quads in the past.

In the nutshell, Dai needs two things, quads and fair judging. I believe quads will be easier to attain than the latter. The latter maybe a work of Japanese Skating Federation, not anybody else's.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
In all honesty, I believe that no one really wins unless figure skating competitions are deemed to be judged competently and fairly. But if the judging system is deemed faulty, then it's more the runnerups who are likely to win the sympathy of the public.

There will always be sour grapes who deem the judging unfair, no matter when, which system, or who wins. You believe in statements you make as undebatable truths but they are not necessarily so. E.g. Patrick Chan, without any sex appeal according to you, is ranked higher as a desirable date than Matt Damon, Rafael Nadal, Leonardo de Caprio, Hugh Jackman, and other half naked hunks, according to Rankopedia. (It's nice to have a fan thread for such information. :)) eta. He's also one of the Most Desirable Men Alive! This is a fun site to poke around. :biggrin:

Last edited:

hurrah

Medalist
There will always be sour grapes who deem the judging unfair, no matter when, which system, or who wins. You believe in statements you make as undebatable truths but they are onot necessarily so. E.g. Patrick Chan, without any sex appeal according to you, is ranked higher as a desirable date than Matt Damon, Rafael Nadal, Leonardo de Caprio, Hugh Jackman, and other half naked hunks, according to Rankopedia. (It's nice to have fan thread for such information. :))

Yeah, you had me confused for a while. I didn't realize that of all things to react to, you were reacting to the part about sex appeal! You greedy little fan. You not only want Patrick to be recognized as the best figure skater but the sexiest man on this earth!:laugh:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yeah, you had me confused for a while. I didn't realize that of all things to react to, you were reacting to the part about sex appeal! You greedy little fan. You not only want Patrick to be recognized as the best figure skater but the sexiest man on this earth!:laugh:

Only #12. :)

It's just to show you people have different views and tastes that may shock you. :biggrin: I would like to see some Japanese polls too.

seniorita

Record Breaker

huh? Plushenko was the judges favorite and made money after SLC, Torino, Vancouver etc etc. Yagudin was certabily a judge favorite. Wasnt Kwan also judges favorite lady? I dont know why Patrick shouldnt. And also Daisuke is some years older, you dont know the market value of Chan when he hits Daisuke's age and status. Plus Japan has a different market I suppose.
Bottom line, it is not a skaters concern how he is marked by judges.

hurrah

Medalist
huh? Plushenko was the judges favorite and made money after SLC, Torino, Vancouver etc etc. Yagudin was certabily a judge favorite. Wasnt Kwan also judges favorite lady? I dont know why Patrick shouldnt. And also Daisuke is some years older, you dont know the market value of Chan when he hits Daisuke's age and status. Plus Japan has a different market I suppose.
Bottom line, it is not a skaters concern how he is marked by judges.

These skaters whom you mention were the favorites going into a competition, for sure, but their performances hadn't been slashed apart on figure skating boards for getting high scores for a performance with multiple falls /a nonfall, etc. Also, and I'm really curious to know this. Did skating boards like fsuniverse and golden skate exist during their time? Since when have figure skating boards been active?

seniorita

Record Breaker
If you mean during Plush/ Yag /Kwan era , yes they did. I think fsu had another name at first. And there were some boards who have disappeared now.

hurrah

Medalist
I'm really interested to know the impact of figure skating boards on figure skater/figure skating popularity. I only joined before Vancouver Oly and I can tell you that what I read definitely made a difference re: my perception of certain skaters. Re: Patrick, my image of him is that he has extraordinary skating skills, and his Federation recognizes this talent and have lobbied effectively so that he's almost guaranteed a win however he skates that day. What I have seen in competition confirms what I have eked from reading this board, and that doesn't make me want to be his fan. Nevertheless, I can see that he is a very nice person so I really don't blame him personally when he gets awarded for a multiple fall performance. But again, gaining this perception does not make me want to be his fan. I think that's just human nature.
Anyway, getting back to the topic, I don't need CoP to tell me that Dai is an artist on the ice like no one else.

Last edited: