Back alive (almost) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Back alive (almost)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Back on thread topic,

Chris, How did you (and the audience) enjoy Ross Miner's performances? I know Ross is no where near the level of Patrick or Dai, but I have watched him compete at Liberty since he was in Juniors, so I am always interested.

I was so thrilled that he won a bronze at 4CC's!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Welcome home, Chris. Glad you had a blast! Thanks for your insights (which I will read in detail once I'm caught up with all the post Nationals stuff).

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Who is Mr. Dice? Thank you for your great report and thoughts on 4CC.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I LOVE Downton Abbey! On PBS on the 19th here in Spokane, they will do all the episodes of season 2 at once.
I missed the last one.....
Chris who has all the Jane Austen DVDs
I love it too!! I was surprised that no one started a thread in Le Cafe about it.

seniorita

Record Breaker
This would be my grandad's uncle, Captain John O. Spicer who discovered the Spicer Islands in the Foxe Basin in 1879. He also had a fixed base at Akuliak on Baffin Island:
http://www.mysticseaport.org/index....id=16182FF4-1E4F-379B-60CCAEDFE10A8C30#spicer

wow that is ultra cool! :clap: my grandad was a captain travelling all oceans but he didnt discover even a single rock :laugh: I have an eskimo doll though from somewhere very north!

Daisuke ;)

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I've been following the Downton Abbey thread on FSU. It has gotten much soapier lately but I still love it. The first season was brilliant! Maggie Smith stole every scene she was in. My curmudgeonly husband fell off the couch laughing every time she opened her mouth. She had the best lines! Her lines haven't been as good this season but she's still brilliant. Dee4707, start a thread!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Back on thread topic,

Chris, How did you (and the audience) enjoy Ross Miner's performances? I know Ross is no where near the level of Patrick or Dai, but I have watched him compete at Liberty since he was in Juniors, so I am always interested.

I was so thrilled that he won a bronze at 4CC's!

OK, Keep in mind I am a bit biased...OK, maybe more than a bit biased here as I like Ross, told him how much I liked his short, and prayed for his long, and I and the crowd loved it...gotta find some time to watch it again but the ranch work is yelling at me and Barb is leaving for the left coast and a dog agility comp. But I will tell you this. Ross is an it person. He has some sort of undescribable quality where he has ice precense and you naturally like the guy and his long is a great program for him. I hope he gets a quad....I want to see him heading on up and doing bold programs with bold music. But even being an it person cant take you very far. Ricky did well with his Sherlock Holmes program but is now having some issues....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I've been following the Downton Abbey thread on FSU. It has gotten much soapier lately but I still love it. The first season was brilliant! Maggie Smith stole every scene she was in. My curmudgeonly husband fell off the couch laughing every time she opened her mouth. She had the best lines! Her lines haven't been as good this season but she's still brilliant. Dee4707, start a thread!
I am with you on your statement. It has gotten soapier and I was hoping that Mrs. Bates would be hit with an astroid, Mary would grow some, errrr...courage, tell her man she loved him, he would get a miricle cure and marry her and be happy ever after, Just like pride and predjudice. End of Story. Now, I have learned there is to be a third season, at least.....ouch. There is only so much soap I can use.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I loved Ross' Casablanca program last year at Nationals :love: He's one of those skaters who is just better live for me, than on the TV, so I wondered how Untouchables was live. His Para Ti SP at 4CC's is the best I have seen him skate that piece on TV at least.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Chris, 1879 was a warm year, so Captain Spicer was able to sail into the Foxe Basin further than he had in previous years, and there found a low lying piece of land that he named Spicer Island (why not, if you've got it, flaunt it ;) AFAIR, Captain Spicer claimed those island(s) for himself, not for the United States. it was a different age.) In following years, Foxe Basin was frozen in again all year. Finally when another ship got into the area, they didn't find the island, and people assumed Captain Spicer was hallucinating or drunk when he found the Spicer Islands, or had simply named a large ice floe.

And so the islands were not listed when Canada was made a Confederation in 1867, because they were not discovered yet. So they never belonged to the British Empire. Then the ownership of the islands were not enumerated whenever the US and Canada wrote & signed whatever treaties described the extent of their demesnes in any subsequent years because no one believed they existed. As the original post said, even today things are unsettled in the Arctic. And islands in the Eastern part of the north are of mixed ownership, usually Danish and Canadian, but there are even two tiny islands, St. Pierre and Miquelon, close to southern Newfoundland that still belong to France.

And that's how the situation was in the 1930's. Then in the early 1930's, a Canadian plane flew over the area and saw the islands (perhaps they were mapping the north); the newspaper didn't say. What to do! These islands of dubious ownership existed. The newspaper clipping said that at the behest of the US government, Mr. William C. Spicer Sr., my grandad, had ceded ownership of Spicer Island(s) to the Canadian government, and it said this was done in a formal document. I think I remember seeing part of the document itself, but I could be imagining things. If you're really interested, when I get back to Groton, I'll dust off my copy of the Spicer Genealogy where I found the article tucked in, and see if I can find exactly what it says.

For one thing, I don't remember whether Cap (my grandad) ceded ownership of all the islands known as the Spicer Islands, or whether he just ceded Spicer Island. There are certainly a North and South Spicer Island, and there are apparently more than were originally apparent (at least four little bitty ones). You can check this out if you Google Map North Spicer Island, Baffin, Nunavut, Canada. And I don't think the area Captain Spicer occupied for many years on Baffin Island, Akuliak (or Spicer's Harbor) was ceded to Canada formally. I believe Baffin had been covered in earlier treaties, but I'm thinking that since Captain Spicer wasn't one to do claiming for the US, perhaps a point could be stretched, and that he had a claim there, too.

So if the US government wants to claim ownership of bases in the Arctic, perhaps they should come to me (as the executrix of my Dad's estate, dad being Cap's only child, as Cap was executor of his dad's estate, and his dad was the person Captain John Spicer left his residual estate to, as he had no children), and I will happily sell them my personal rights to whatever it is we might own in the Arctic. For one thing, I don't remember whether Cap signed over mineral rights :) Back in the 1930's this was all kind of a big joke in The New London Day, our local paper, which still exists BTW. I don't think those documents were loophole free.

That would be so cool! I could afford to go to skating competitions again.

Doris, that is one heck of a story! May they find diamonds on your mineral rights and we can see you on ice road truckers!
I have to say that I am still a bit confused, though. Many times in North American History, folks and countries have taken land from the aborigines, or bought it from France without knowing every island. If the US bought or took Oregon and I had first claimed the island in Crater lake, I might well have ownership of it today, but that island would still be part of the United States of America. I could have constested that fact in court and claimed that I owed no taxes to the USA for all the income I was making off the Californians putting condos on it and then we would have had the shortest war in history and I would be sitting in a comfortable jail cell in Levenworth, Kansas. A Canadian who had a farm at Ft. Victoria almost became an American citizen, owning his land, in the Oregon treaty of 1846 but for a bit of hedging on the 49th parallel agreement. The only acception to this that I knew of was the treaty lands of the aborigines, till you presented your case. Thank you for writing it up! I would like to read the actual language.
Chris looking for a rock in international waters to call his own. Is there one in the Straight of Hormuz?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I loved Ross' Casablanca program last year at Nationals :love: He's one of those skaters who is just better live for me, than on the TV, so I wondered how Untouchables was live. His Para Ti SP at 4CC's is the best I have seen him skate that piece on TV at least.
Again, I must claim bias. The Untouchables is a great movie with great music based on a true story of heroism. You can not discount that watching his performance if you feel for the movie. Perhaps that is why they dont allow words in music except for ice dance. Ennio Morricone got an oscar nomination for that music and he is one of my favorite movie composers....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Daisuke Takahashi. There is another Daisuke (Murakami) in the Frank C stable who is called Dice for short. From Wiki...
"The Murakami family moved to the United States in 2000 from Japan after winning a green-card lottery to become US residents.[5] Daisuke, nicknamed "Dice", began skating soon after.

Murakami is a two-time recipient of the Michael Weiss Foundation scholarship, which is a scholarship program created to help young American figure skaters."
I call the former Mr. Dice and the latter Dice. They are kinda similar. I am sure they are both very nice people, espeically since Mirai sits with Dice sometimes....:)
(When Mr. Dice did a very hard to look at faceplant during the Gala at 4Cs, he got up and smiled and shook it off. You have to like a guy like that....)
"

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Oooh, any picture of Mirai sitting with Dice? I assume Mr. Dice.

I think Daisuke is often called DiceK as well.