Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Mao Asada Fan Fest

Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    Just found a clip made by someone in her team (probably, I think...?) comparing Mao's jumps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBKXCZzB_S8

For me, it was interesting to see the loop jump comparison, because I knew that something had changed with Mao's loop because this season, I started hearing this huge sound of her edge slicing through the ice as she took off, and I assumed something had changed so that she was no longer 'pre-rotating' on her loop, but I didn't know what it looked like, but looking at the clip made me see exactly how it had changed.

And also, I could tell in real time that her salchow had changed, that there was a smoothness to the jump that wasn't there before, but watching it in slow motion enabled me to see what exactly had been amended.

Actually, I found it amazing to see that these corrections that she is making are, from an amateur's perspective, so small and minute.

Well, to me, pre-rotation for the edge jumps are still there, even worse. Don't take it bad, edge jumps need some level of pre-rotations for most of skaters.
    To see the comparisons of her jumps, it's more evident that she's been losing height and some distance. 2 axel is the only one that's got better on the distance.

Mao was in the best shape for the couple of seasons heading into Olympic, including oly season. I don't know what got her mind but as she started to rework on her jumps, her humongous jumps weren't there anymore. I still remember how shocked I was at her 3f-3lo and solo 3f with that height and coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Mao was in the best shape for the couple of seasons heading into Olympic, including oly season. I don't know what got her mind but as she started to rework on her jumps, her humongous jumps weren't there anymore. I still remember how shocked I was at her 3f-3lo and solo 3f with that height and coverage.
    You either have bad memory or truly know nothing at all to be able to claim that Mao's jumps Olympic season was her best. Mao actually went under a small growth spurt in the off season right before Olympic season began, and she was in big trouble. I still remember the shock when I saw her first performance of the season, which I think was Japan Open. It was only her sheer determination and natural talent which, despite lack of proper coaching on jumps, enabled her to win Olympic silver and World gold medal that year.

You either have bad memory or truly know nothing at all to be able to claim that Mao's jumps Olympic season was her best. Mao actually went under a small growth spurt in the off season right before Olympic season began, and she was in big trouble. I still remember the shock when I saw her first performance of the season, which I think was Japan Open. It was only her sheer determination and natural talent which, despite lack of proper coaching on jumps, enabled her to win Olympic silver and World gold medal that year.
    My "shock" came from her olympic performances and her worlds performances in 2009. They were really huge. Then the next season, she was off and I've been really struggling to know why. I didn't know she went through a small growth spurt after oly season. Thanks for the info. Come to think of it, she did start to have a slight different body shape back then from oly season.

Actually, I agree that Mao's original flip was bigger, but the technique was bad, whereas her flip now has decent technique. And I think her still as of yet flutz is a big jump and should get good GOEs if and when she gets it to become a lutz.

And I think the reason why Mao's new flip is smaller is because she will never do a solo flip in competition; they will always be in combination, so she needs to complete the flip with good speed, meaning she has less time in the air to complete the three rotations.

So she trains her flip privileging speed over size, but with her lutz training, she doesn't need to think about having enough speed to make it into a combination so it is now a big flutz, and hopefully will become a big lutz.

This is such a beautiful fan montage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh7UgbjDZnc

This is such a beautiful fan montage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh7UgbjDZnc
    that is so cool! i was sad when it ended.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3