Daisuke Takahashi | Page 33 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi

Thanks so much for the detailed translation, Let's Talk!

Takahashi's responses really convey his maturity and his modesty. I don't know whether inside himself he thinks he's the greatest athlete since SpiderMan, but whatever his thoughts are, he has the grace to express respect for the abilities of others. I think that's such a wonderful attitude. I'm also intrigued to hear Takahashi's analysis of his skating, especially of his step sequence.

I do hope that despite the fact that he used the word "skating" in Japanese, he really just means competitive skating. Let's deluge him with fan letters and beg him to continue!

Thanks again. A great Christmas present!

deedee1

Record Breaker
To os168 for your post #214 at Japanese Nats Mens thread:

I want to express my big 'thank-you!' to you os168 for beautifully writing about his free skate there. :) And I would appreciate if you allow me to copy and paste the following part, so that Dai's team somehow can get to read your beautiful post here, I hope! :yes:

Daisuke's FS... regardless of my criticism of the choreography, that guy IS a bonafide skating God!! This is undoubtedly the best Men's best FS I have seen or experienced all season. I practically had a weird existential experience overall watching Dai on this occasion like no other. I don't know about others, but during the step sequences, I suddenly became overwhelmed with an heartache that completely shook and surprised the heck out of me. After the rest of my logical senses caught up, I figured this is why Dai is the greatest most watchable male performer! He has the soul of the true artist. They can do that with the slightest touch when they are at ease with themselves and not seem to try so hard.

Last year, he took a rudimentary and repetitive piece of music to show case his expressions, versatility and commanding presence. This year he picked Morozov and did something on the surface of it feels quite generic and streamlined. Unlike others who have consistently pick music that complement them and hide their weaknesses, Dai seems deliberately handicap himself to challenge how much further he can push beyond one self. He absolutely got the music, the essence of music, the artistry of skating and did a masterclass of making the better than what is on the paper. Just a stunning skater, wonderful performer, a class of his own. Thank you for exist Daisuke Takahashi. If it is up to me, You should have got the Gold today based on what I saw today, which can not be measured by COP, its maths can not do it justice.

Here is a rough translation on what Utako-sensei and Dai said at the end of this wonderful documentary. :)

-from 3:00
Re: his announcement at Moscow Worlds in March 2011 of his intention to continue his competitive skating until Sochi
Utako-sensei: "To be honest, I was very happy to hear about it myself. Because I just love Daisuke's skating so much!, and because that means we can get to see more of his programs and performances a couple of more years. I was so happy for that. Regardless of good results or not in the future, Daisuke and his skating is very special in itself, I believe. I would like it very much if people all over the world could see and enjoy his skating as long as possible. That's my sincere wish, so I appreciated for his intention to cotinue."
"We all understand, including himself, that it's going to be very tough and so many hardships must be awaiting us. Daisuke, however, has made up his mind to give it a try, while he is perfectly aware of its high risks. If it's what he wants to do, then we, as one team, just get ready ourselves to make every and our best endeavor to help him, and see whatever result will await us in the end."

-from 7:20
Daisuke at post-comp press conference. Asked about his near perfect performance in Mens Free at J-Nats:
(with a wry grin) "Actually, I have never felt 100% satisfied with any of my performances in my whole skating career, and I probably will never get 100% satisfied with my future performances, too, until I stop competing, I would imagine. What I need to do is dig up whatever (elements or movements) of my performance where I feel unsatisfied with, then adjust to make them better, and re-adjust and re-adjust...so that I can make them better towards its ideal as close as possible. I want to do it like that, to the best of my ability, until I finally give up my competitive skating."

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks to let's talk and to deedee for the translations.

Deedee interesting quote from Dai regarding never feeling 100% satisfied with his performance, even his
masterfully wonderful skate at JN he was not satisfied. I am sure that feeling is a great motivator for him to continue
to improve and compete.

Thanks so much, Deedee! Reading Os168's commentary again is such a pleasure. I think I agree with the idea that great skating artists are somehow at ease even in competition. They seem to know that they're in the place where they belong. Their skating isn't just for points. There's a lovely quote from the actress Tyne Daly. She makes a comment in answer to the old adage that a lot of stage acting is about breathing. The meaning of the adage is of course that an actor must, like a singer, learn breath control techniques. Tyne Daly said that she thinks of breath control this way instead: "I control when the audience stops breathing and when they start again." I think on some level a truly great skater controls our breath as we watch. It may be subjective--some of us will forget to breathe for one skater, whereas for others of us it will be another skater. But such skaters are very rare.

figuristka

Medalist
Thanks for the documentary. Dai's skating is so moving. When we see him off the ice too, it just makes him more lovable.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Dai's interview at World Figure Skating #56. Maybe smb. in the internet will make a fancier translation later:

Pics: http://twitpic.com/e/2kvw

Thanks a lot for the translation, let's talk! :)...and because of the photos you added, I ended up buying this magazine, which I probably should not have at this time of the year (=costs so much money to prepare for the New Year's holiday in our country, right? ;)). :laugh:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Thanks so much, Deedee! Reading Os168's commentary again is such a pleasure. I think I agree with the idea that great skating artists are somehow at ease even in competition. They seem to know that they're in the place where they belong. Their skating isn't just for points. There's a lovely quote from the actress Tyne Daly. She makes a comment in answer to the old adage that a lot of stage acting is about breathing. The meaning of the adage is of course that an actor must, like a singer, learn breath control techniques. Tyne Daly said that she thinks of breath control this way instead: "I control when the audience stops breathing and when they start again." I think on some level a truly great skater controls our breath as we watch. It may be subjective--some of us will forget to breathe for one skater, whereas for others of us it will be another skater. But such skaters are very rare.

What a lovely quote Olympia. Funny enough, I saw Tyne Daly as Maria Callas in 'MasterClass' the stage play in London around April this year. I just love her and how she grew her career and matured as a stage actor from her Cagney and Lacy days. I didn't know what to expect, but I found her riveting, divine and beautifully heart breaking and ugly at the same time. Exactly what I'd like from my Callas fanfiction of my imagination and some more :)

About Dai, I absolutely agree the apparent effortless is what stood him as a master vs a student of learning where all the efforts are visible. Patrick with the right program can appear masterful but have not yet the maturity (other than stunning skating techniques) or range of work to be tested. Hanyu with the right program like Romeo and Juliet where the effort can become part of the performance and it is perfectly moving, but the real master are the ones who can make anything work and unafraid to try, experiment and even to fail. Sometimes the sport is too calculated towards COP maths, it failed to address the unquantifiable that is in critical and priceless in art. Dai rules supreme in his era in artistry and most importantly the philosophy and approach to artistry very well.

Last edited:
What a lovely quote Olympia. Funny enough, I saw Tyne Daly as Maria Callas in 'MasterClass' the stage play in London around April this year. I just love her and how she grew her career and matured as a stage actor from her Cagney and Lacy days. I didn't know what to expect, but I found her riveting, divine and beautifully heart breaking and ugly at the same time. Exactly what I'd like from my Callas fanfiction of my imagination and some more :)

About Dai, I absolutely agree the apparent effortless is what stood him as a master vs a student of learning where all the efforts are visible. Patrick with the right program can appear masterful but have not yet the maturity (other than stunning skating techniques) or range of work to be tested. Hanyu with the right program like Romeo and Juliet where the effort can become part of the performance and it is perfectly moving, but the real master are the ones who can make anything work and unafraid to try, experiment and even to fail. Sometimes the sport is too calculated towards COP maths, it failed to address the unquantifiable that is in critical and priceless in art. Dai rules supreme in his era in artistry and most importantly the philosophy and approach to artistry very well.

How lucky you are that you saw Tyne Daly live! I used to watch her on Judging Amy, a wonderful series, and there were moments when she practically came out through the screen at me, she was so alive.

I like your master-student analogy. This is probably why I'm not yet in Hanyu's camp, though I understand that he has great talent and potential. But Hanyu is still showing me how well he skates, whereas Takahashi shows me something new about skating itself every time.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
And this is the Christmas gift to all Daisuke fans in the world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94XXyUkSi7c
Kawai! Unlike foreigners Japanese skaters seldom kiss flower girls. The culture is different. But not this time. Maybe Dai wants to marry a Russian wife ;). (What a damn that I am married already :cry:.)
Dai's FS at JN without commentators' rants:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1TwjZhIwac
What Miyamoto is doing there with that stuff? :confused: www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsT2hbMhCQI
Meanwhile Fluff TV is again ranting about Dai and Mao as hopes in Sochi (after getting the feedback from the audience probably :biggrin:): www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sZ6IRgi3-o

HAPPY NEW YEAR, DAi! :yay:

deedee1

Record Breaker
What Miyamoto is doing there with that stuff? :confused: www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsT2hbMhCQI

HAPPY NEW YEAR, DAi! :yay:

:laugh: Kenji must be in charge of the overall choreo at MOI.
So funny to see Stephane also doing it in the backstage with J skaters! :)

The latest Dai's interview with NHK this morning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtfmIL3xImI

Hope there is someone very kind enough to translate it to English. (sorry I just can't, cause he talks about Sochi and his retirement. It's too hard/heartbreaking for me to do translatation...)

P.S. A Happy New Year, Everyone!

let`s talk

Match Penalty
The latest Dai's interview with NHK this morning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtfmIL3xImI

Hope there is someone very kind enough to translate it to English. (sorry I just can't, cause he talks about Sochi and his retirement. It's too hard/heartbreaking for me to do translatation...)
But it's not like he is talking much about his retirement except saying that he will retire after Sochi. He again says that Sochi is his main target and has been the one since he decided to continue in 2011. Vancouver became the past, and Sochi is the future. That Moscow Wolds was like a new start of a new life stage and now he has one year left to accomplish his aims. He realizes that there are younger competitors, and he is aware of necessity to stay strong to be able to compete and perform 2 quads in FS. He mentioned GPF where he won, and that is the start of the final loop (from to Sochi) to Sochi. :cool:

Deedee1, do you seriously believe that Dai will completely retired from skating after Sochi? No way. I don't believe in it even for a second. I am sure he will be in shows, maybe will start his own show. And considering the no major star of his rank in Men, TV Tokyo will do their best in people skills and butt licking to get him in JO and/or MWO. So, we will see Dai's skating a lot after Sochi too!

Speaking about Olympics, here is an old documentary made before his first Olympics in Torino, the teen duckling at the begining of his Gladiolus route:
part 1:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkdlnecPPAc
part 2:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioLavbH8oHA
part 3:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6K7_7mYTZE
part 4:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvRvxccKaLk
part 5:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVi_DO4rdQw
part 6:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZqwzPbf_hs

deedee1

Record Breaker
Deedee1, do you seriously believe that Dai will completely retired from skating after Sochi?

No. And I agree, they just don't let Dai away from ice shows. especially in Japan. like Mao.

But while I love Daisuke as a performer, I just loved Dai more as a competitor over these years and loved/admired/appreciated what he has brought to the ice as an eligible skater, under CoP rules, in front of skating professionals (=judges, tech panel and officials) and skating fans, and for the sake of this sport (though, unlike Evgeni or Evan, he is not that great as competitior). And the fact that every competition he is to participate from now on till Sochi will be likely his 'last' one makes me really sad, e.g. Osaka 4CC this February will be his last 4CC, London Worlds in March probably his last one, J Nats in December definitely his last one to participate, you know.

Here is a message from Daisuke wishing everyone A Happy New Year! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEf1PdHk1po

When Dai is off ice, why can't he be as cool as whenever he is on ice??? :laugh:

Last edited:
Some people just seem to have more pizzazz when the spotlight turns on. I like Dai both cool and less cool. It gives him dimension.