Daisuke Takahashi | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi

skateluvr

Record Breaker
No one moves like Daisuke, he is such a dancer at heart, like kurt Browning. While I don't find him sexy, I do appreciate his elegance and versatility. I can't imagine a piece of music he cannot interpret. I don't see his skating as similar to Weir, but he is distinctive, like Weir and all the great male skaters. I love hanyu for different reasons, but sylistically, skaters don't come along like Daisuke all the time. He has had some truly memorable programs. I wish his injury to improve so he can manage the technical and move us with his artistry. Nice thread, thanks.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Hello everyone at GS Forums!

I joined this board in Nov 2007 but only have been lurking. Since this thread was created and specifically dedicated to Daisuke and his fans on Velentine's Day, I said to myself, "why not join the discussions now? even a shy girl like me can be brave on such a day!"

( I have been trying to post my message a couple of times so far, but resulted unsuccessful for some reason...hope this one survives...here goes my very first post!)

Dai to me is a true gift from the skating god, especially after his almost-career-ending injury. His skate just grabs my soul!
It was Skate America 2005 on TV when I first watched him skate, to that beautiful Rachmaninov piece. It was such a joy for me to see a young boy (yes, a Japanese boy!) could express every touch of the piano so well with his blades and with his whole body. The layback spins! and that lovely circular steps!! Dai himself was the music. Oh, I still remember that day clearly.

When he came back to comeptitions after surgery; againt the all odds, and the moment he stood on the ice in Vancouver, he alrealdy won the Olympic Gold Medal in my heart!

Dai may not catch up with Patrick in the end; I mean technically under this harsh COP era, or may be surpussed by younger ones like Yuzuru come Sochi. Yes, figure skating is a sport. But I believe this sport should be more than just collecting points, something more beautiful to move people to tears sometimes. In this sense, I am only grateful that he decided to continue and we can still get to see his beautiful skates.

Prior to this season, Dai was asked a question in an interview, "what is your goal this season?" he answered with broad smile, "I want to improve my skating skill, I want to improve my jumping ability, I want to improve my spins, so everything about my skate!" Dai sounded as happy as a junior skater freshly up from novice. At this point of his career at age 25 (w/ the world title and Olympic medal in his pocket already!), Dai still wants to improve as a skater and as a performer. He has won tons of my respect as a person.

Go Daisuke! We fans are always rooting for you no matter what!

Last edited:
Hello everyone at GS Forums!

I joined this board in Nov 2007 but only have been lurking. Since this thread was created and specifically dedicated to Daisuke and his fans on Velentine's Day, I said to myself, "why not join the discussions now? even a shy girl like me can be brave on such a day!"

( I have been trying to post my message a couple of times so far, but resulted unsuccessful for some reason...hope this one survives...here goes my very first post!)

Dai to me is a true gift from the skating god, especially after his almost-career-ending injury. His skate just grabs my soul!
It was Skate America 2005 on TV when I first watched him skate, to that beautiful Rachmaninov piece. It was such a joy for me to see a young boy (yes, a Japanese boy!) could express every touch of the piano so well with his blades and with his whole body. The layback spins! and that lovely circular steps!! Dai himself was the music. Oh, I still remember that day clearly.

When he came back to comeptitions after surgery; againt the all odds, and the moment he stood on the ice in Vancouver, he alrealdy won the Olympic Gold Medal in my heart!

Dai may not catch up with Patrick in the end; I mean technically under this harsh COP era, or may be surpussed by younger ones like Yuzuru come Sochi. Yes, figure skating is a sport. But I believe this sport should be more than just collecting points, something more beautiful to move people to tears sometimes. In this sense, I am only grateful that he decided to continue and we can still get to see his beautiful skates.

Prior to this season, Dai was asked a question in an interview, "what is your goal this season?" he answered with broad smile, "I want to improve my skating skill, I want to improve my jumping ability, I want to improve my spins, so everything about my skate!" Dai sounded as happy as a junior skater freshly up from novice. At this point of his career at age 25 (w/ the world title and Olympic medal in his pocket already!), Dai still wants to improve as a skater, as a perfomer and as a person. He has won tons of my respect.

Go Daisuke! We fans are always rooting for you no matter what!

I'm so glad you were brave and posted your statement. It's lovely and eloquent, a splendid characterization of Daisuke. I agree with you that the sport should be more than just collecting points, and Daisuke embodies that extra something that makes skating unique among sports. The skaters who "grab my soul," as you put it, are the ones I remember forever: Kurt, John Curry, Yagudin, Lambiel, Paul Wylie, and Daisuke being premier among them. Like you, I felt that when he stood on Olympic ice after that awful injury, he had already won. I'm thrilled that he medaled, and I hope he medals again. But I'll watch him no matter what, as long as he's skating. If he turns pro (a long time from now, I hope!) and skates mostly in Japan, I hope that generous fans will post his programs on YouTube where fans like us can watch him from all across the globe.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
welcome out of your lurkdom, deedee1! We hope to see you post often and long! :rock:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Olympia and Tonichelle, thanks a lot for your warm welcome!

Unlike other skating boards which sometimes apprear 'ugly' to my eye, I loved this Golden Skate from the beginning.

Though English is not my mother-tongue, I hope I won't make many grammatical mistakes and I can survive myself (= as you kindly advise to new members, "post often and post long!") without getting other members feelings hurt.

periperi

On the Ice
Well, I truly do feel a little shallow posting this after the insightful things that have been said about Dai, but one of things that stands out about him to me is that he's just plain hot. Really exudes sex appeal.

This. I actually wouldn't consider him that handsome physically, but his sheer charisma and overall awsomeness exudes so much sex appeal for me that it doesn't matter.

Oh, and welcome to the forum as a non-lurker, deedee1!

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Mathman and periperi, thank you also for a warm welcome!

This. I actually wouldn't consider him that handsome physically, but his sheer charisma and overall awsomeness exudes so much sex appeal for me that it doesn't matter.

I wrote in another thread, "with or without sex apeal, Dai and Patrick are great skaters".
But I have to confess. I was actually 'mesmerized' by this performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcAr91dhaD4

Look at his sort of 'tempting' smile to judges around 1:05 to start his circular footwork.
How can a 17-year-old boy be sexier than this young Dai???

That's a good point. Charisma can make people so magnetic that you almost can't evaluate whether they're actually physically attractive. It ceases to matter. I mean, look at someone like Fred Astaire. If you saw a photo of him without knowing anything about his talents, you would think, now there's a friendly-looking skinny fellow. But to see him dance, alone or with a partner, is to be enraptured. The same was said to be true of tango singer Carlos Gardel, and French actor Jean-Paul Belmondo.

genki

On the Ice
I finally come here late.

Well, in my eyes, Dai is one of the sexiest and also most beautiful human beings.

Please enjoy these videos, You will know what I mean.

This is the famous finger licking that people are talking about in Japan!! But I think the way he looks at the audience right after that finger licking is quite something.
http://youtu.be/l0CbEsOX1cE

This video plays up his facial beauty . I love it. especially around 1:21. He even seems to be wearing make up, but he is not. Just pretty, rather than handsome.
http://youtu.be/2Ai6qIY-pWY

Thanks, Genki. The guy is pretty cool, isn't he? But it isn't just his looks. He's got that confidence (not arrogance, mind you) that just reaches out to you even through the screen. I can't imagine what the effect is like when one is sitting right there in the arena.

Last edited:

genki

On the Ice
Olympia;620382 I can't imagine what the effect is like when one is sitting right there in the arena.[/QUOTE said:
It felt like you have just met Elvis Presley in person. Sorry, Nadine, this is your quote. But it exactly feels like it. Probably my pulse and blood pressure were way up.
Nick Slater said that exactly same thing." Dai is Elvis on ice." and he added that some woman fainted in the front row. I m not sure that is true or not, but surely Dai has that type of effect. " A rock star.!!!" on ice.

I am so happy that I was given opportunity to root for him for another 2 years. Win or loose, I feel truly blessed to share the same era with him. He is really a treasure.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Among programs in his younger days, this is another one which I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leFAgGvCRxs

This piece seemed too difficult for young Dai to perform, I really liked what Tarasova and Platov did for him at that time. Especially two brilliant step sequences.
Under CoP, we do not get to see this kind of comeptitive programs very often, unfortunately.

These days, Platov still does really good jobs in chareography-wise under CoP, I think; e.g. programs for the Kerrs' for years, Coomes & Buckland's 'Lion King' from last year. Very creative with inonvative moves.
He is very good at reversing disadvantages of each of the skater(s) to advantages, such as features, characters and/or personality.

I hope Dai will have a chance to work with Platov again. I want to see what Platov can do with 'much matured' Dai of today.

deedee1

Record Breaker
March 11th, 2012.
It's been a year since the huge earthquakes hit the wide area of northern/eastern Japan, and the tsunami took the lives of over 15 thousands people. It is a great pity that the number of the missing people is still over 3 thousands as of today...

There were countless memorial services throughout Japan, and all the Japanese mourned for the victims who had to leave their beloved ones suddenly, unexpectedly, and unwillingly.

There were a couple of charity skating shows, too; by skaters who are originally from Tohoku area, e.g. Shizuka, Yuruzu, Takeshi, Yamato with local kids skaters.

You will find Dai's message for 'Skating Friends Support Japan', both in English and Japanese, thanking to all the supports from all over the world.

http://www.nyjalccfundraising.com/e/skatingfriends

On behalf of skating fans in Japan, I would like to express my utmost 'Thank-You' to all members here at Golden Skate Forum, too, as I believe your kindness and sympathy was indeed a great comfort to Japanese skaters and its fans at that time. Again thank you.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Let me introduce some interesting quotes by brilliant athletes/skaters, Patrick and Daisuke whom I love in different ways.

Sources: 'World Figure Skate No.52' magazine, published Mar 2nd, 2012

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/440331071...ntry-2110.html

Reminder: those words in English are NOT what they (especially Patrick) exactly said in the interviews, becasue I was the one who roughly translated into English from the magazine written in Japanese.

------------------------------------------------------

I hope you will enjoy them. These quotes show a good example of 'mutual respect' between an athlete and its rival, so that each fans can look up to.
As for Patrick's interveiw, you will find 'Patrick Chan Fan Fest' thread.

Quotes from Daisuke's interview after 4CC:

Re: Patrick's skating
"His biggest advantage over the rest in the field, including myself, is speed.
During practices, I donot find Patrick's stroking ultra speedy (=there are other skaters who have more speed going into jumps with their powerful strokes).
During practices, I donot particularly find myself inferior in skating skills to him."

"But when it comes down to a program in a competiton, and all elements executed to its fulliest, that's when I find myself weaker than Patrick. He can finish his programs strong, without losing any obvious speed till the end.
Most of the times I can watch his performances wihtout noticing he seems tired, or without feeling bothered by its quality less enjoyable towards the end, de to exhaustion."

Re: Chasing after Patrick' back
"It was during last season (2010-11) when I rated myself (=realised that I was) behind Patrick.
If we talk about figure skating in general, I mean performence-wise, we can have our own cup of tea, you know. But if we talk about competitive skating and focus on TES side, it is a different story. Objectively speaking, I am behind him. Clearly.
I want to shorten this gap on TES as best as I can, and even if it means little by little, I will try it anyway (=to shorten the gap) until Sochi season."

Re: Sochi Olympics
"Two years until Sochi Olympics. Not only Patrick, but all skaters will try their best to improve and up their current level.
I want the Men descipline at Sochi Olympics to be, say, 'who-is-gonna-win-this-time-around???' like comeptition. I want Men's Olympic Gold Medal is up for a grab, for anyone's to take on the nights of the competition."

"And I want go back to one of those in contention for the Olympic title, which I think I once belonged before knee injury. I want to fight for the first place with others, not fighting for the second place.
Using two full seasons till Sochi, I want to improve myself, and put myself again on the same/equal battlefield where only very top competitors are entitled to and can aim for the title."

carignan

Rinkside
Thank you very very much, deedee1.:clap:
He is very clever, composed and determined. Wow... I'm so impressed.