Daisuke Takahashi | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi

I didn't want to imply that his status isn't legendary without the OGM. Sometimes I wonder - you know, I would've been so happy if he had landed that quad and showed them all at 2010 Olympics. He could've won, he was nearly there. But then, he would've probably retired after Worlds 2010 or right after the Olympics. I'm kind of thankful that he didn't win Gold, because I want to watch him skate! Every season! And I'm happy that we got to see many more amazing performances and there still will be more. Of course it is not THAT important if he wins, but because I think he deserves it, it makes it hard to watch when he doesn't. It makes me frustrated, because I want the title for him, especially when I think he did good. I want to see him happy and end on a high note. If it won't happen - well, then it won't. It is just wishful thinking, he already achieved so much. But it is not impossible. I still hope. He is already a World Champion and nobody can take that away.

You've expressed many of my feelings as well. I wanted like anything for him to win the OGM in 2010, but I started to think that as with Michelle after 1998, maybe things worked out for the best because he kept skating and growing. We would have missed out on so many wonderful programs if Daisuke had stopped skating in 2010, and I think he would have missed out on the satisfaction of progressing even more physically as he recovered from his terrible injury.

Like you, I'm not giving up hope for 2014! But whatever he accomplishes will be wonderful, and I'm grateful to have so many years of his marvelous skating.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
For that matter, and as let's talk mentioned below (about spending their husband's income to chase Daisuke around the world), these aunties would want to hide their love for young Dai from their husbands.
That part was mentioned by Srin Odessa (#191), not by me. I personally don't know why would someone hide their fan love for this or that celebrity. The aunties have their reasons and I leave them to them.

Meanwhile Dai left a message to his fans on his Kansai University blog. He seems like in a very good and positive mood. But poor man is going to be very busy with doing laundry! Aunties, you are needed! ;)

http://www.kansai-u.ac.jp/sports/message/takahashi/
(translation by Dai fan forum):

-- Thank you for your support! -- 4/25/2012

Now that World Team Trophy is over, all the competitions of this season have finished!!! Clap clap clap clap!!!! Everyone, is your glass in your hand ready!? Kampaaaaai! (CHEERS!) After the WTT I had the medical exam for all the Japanese representatives of this game, and came back to Osaka! I had so much laundry to do so I’m looking forward to doing it.(lol)

Thank you for your support for me in the WTT. I could see many D1SK towels and Japanese flags that made me soooooooooo happy. In the interview I told that I would like to jump the quads (and couldn’t take that back, LOL) I am relieved that I could.

Looking back the start of this season, I think I made some growing up this year, with going to France to learn skating and starting to learn ballet. All the people who cheered and supported me, my staff and people around me who support this sport, I truly owe a lot to you all. Let me use this space to say thank you! & Thank you so much! [in English] (to my fans overseas, David and Pasquale) I wonder how next season will be like? I will work hard steadily toward Sochi OP so please give me your support.

Thank you very much for your help to those who came to the charity event in Kobe and to those who couldn’t come but donated for the cause. Sorry for my thank you notes being late! We will send all the donated fund to Japan Red Cross. I only may be able to do a tiny little thing as a skater, but I am happy if I can make someone happy helped by the power of skate.

Now, I set out to do the laundry!

Daisuke

deedee1

Record Breaker
Thanks a lot, let's talk, for the translation!

The laundry part :laugh: I just can't stop loving this guy, such a sweetie! :)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
The thing about a skater like Takahashi is that his status in skating will not depend on whether he wins OGM. Like you, MaiKatze, I will cry (and dance!) if he wins. But several of the greatest skaters ever didn't win OGMs, including Janet Lynn, Toller Cranston, Michelle Kwan, and Kurt Browning. Browning never won a medal of any color at the Olympics, and Cranston and Lynn never even won a world championship. Daisuke is one of those magical skaters who sits at the pinnacle of the sport and probably always will, no matter what happens at Sochi.

So true Olympia, while others have an OGM, they didn't always earn it. I would be happy to see Dai win. He is in a select group of male skaters who can manage a CoP program but move to any music choice they give him. His LP music was not my cup of tea, but he does so well. He is an artist. And he and Joubert, Verner, Plush get my admiration for how awesomely they skated at moments-Dai has age against, but just sometimes, something magical happens and the pennies fall from heaven.

May the best man win- he obviously could podium again. His dream sustains him and he is blessed with raw talent. It's pointless to get mad at the CoP. If we survive and the sport does in the coming world, we can be happy we have video of these people - please God bless youtube- Dai is art on ice-we need art to live. Desperately, we need beauty to survive. Thanks Dai for doing your best.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Was surprised to see some tweets from Daisuke in my timeline, he seems to be using twitter again. Maybe because the season is over and he has more time now.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Short clip of skaters in ice show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Kr_Q4B3B0ro

Dai has a new exhibition number choreographed by Kenji. Dai is skating to Snoop Dogg's "Sweat". I can' wait to see that video!

:jaw: Less than a week since WTT, and a new exhibition number??? Wow!:rock:

Searched for the music...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw5LNdZGzls&feature=related

Imagining Daisuke to skate to this music, must be so cool! :cool:
Hope someone who went to the the Prince Ice Show this weekend will be able to report here on his new number soon...fingers crossed. :love:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I'm no fan of Snoop Dogg, but Daisuke just makes everything cool. Really, when I first hear about the music he skates to I almost always think "No!" but when I see it is ALWAYS full of awesomeness. He can do no wrong, in my book.

deedee1

Record Breaker

Thanks a lot, demarinis5, for the photo link!

To all 'dai-hard' fans who are gonna miss Dai during the offseason: :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdYn5zqntQ8&feature=related

Daisuke Takahashi Programs for 2011-12 season

-Short program: 2011 Nats ver.
"In the Garden of Souls" by VAS, choreographed by David Wilson

-Free program: 2011 Grand Prix Final ver.
"Blues for Klook" by Eddy Louiss, choreographed by Pasquale Camerlengo

-Exhibition: 2011 Medalists on Ice ver.
"The crisis, from The Legend of 1900" by Morricone, choreographed by Kenji Miyamoto
+encore "Mambo!", choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne

-Surpise: 2012 Stars on Ice Japan ver.
"El Tnago de Roxanne 2012", choreographed by Nikolai Morozov

Better be careful not to repeat this vid, or you gonna end up losing your sleep...:biggrin:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Prince Ice World show in Yokohama

I went on 30th to both shows. Prince Ice World corps de ballet was actually quite good. Not just luxury costumes but also the quality of skating. Many guys landed triples and Nanri (? not sure about his name)- a 3A. Honda also didn't play safe and showed his abilities. British acrobats didn't impress me much. They did lifts and spinning lifts that many pairs can do now in competitions. But pairs can also do other stuff, like jumps, spins, footwork, etc. Well, in Japan there are simply no pairs, so acrobats were more or less on topic. On average competitive Japanese skaters looked a tiny bit fresher in the morning show, probably because it's still tough to skate two shows a day. Akiko skated tango in the morning and her WTT gala EX in the afternoon. She did what she planned without super mistakes. Kanako skated her quicksteps EX in the morning where she landed 3T-3T and her WTT gala EX in the afternoon. Her skating is quite rushy, even Liza looked more feminine in her tango. In the second finale she played a joke and went for 3S+ a bunch of doubles, so- a 5-jump combo, and she fell on the last 5th loop. Never mind, everybody laughed. I saw her coach Yamada near the arena and later inside. Probably it's because Kanako is still young and needs a coach support even in shows. Or maybe Machiko was simply having a good time in the arena. Shizuka was usual- an ice princess left and right, unlikely I will ever see another image of her in the future. Machida skated his samurai stuff, landed a 3A and other triples. Kozuka also skated his Cello in both shows. His jumps were more solid and confident than at WTT or Worlds. When he was doing an eagle, he winked to the audience that he was passing by. Lol. In both finale he tried a quad, the first one he fell heavily, the second- landed two-footed. Daisuke skated Mambo in the morning show. He landed two combos 3L-3T and 3F-3T plus and amazing 3A. In a finale he landed an iron 4T, clean and fair. In the afternoon show he skated his new EX "Sweat". It was definitely inspired by Joubert and Amodio WTT gala stuff, with slutty crotch moves, seductive steps and a ridden up T-shirt that exposed Dai's tummy and underwear. No way you'll see it on J-TV news clip. Lucky me I saw it live. But what the hell. It's almost summer now. Nobody wants to be serious in summer. His new EX wasn't downloaded with super elements like a quad or 3A, but the purpose of that EX was different a priori. Maybe it was created by Kenji overnight specially for PIW shows only. In a finale he too tried a quad, but unlike in the morning show it wasn't super clean- step out and two hands on the ice. After the show skaters had time with fans. I asked Kozuka who he winked to when he was doing an eagle and he said- to me. The way how fast he found the answer that I obviously asked for means he knows how to do both- how to wink and how to flirt. What else a 23yo man is for. Good work, loverboy! :thumbsup: I first didn't know what to say to Daisuke. That thought that he was the true World champion was for weeks in my head. But I think Dai was hurt in Nice and I didn't want to bring that negative memory in that PIW festive event. On the other hand, how can any of us know for sure what he thinks or feels. Maybe he wants to hear that he was the true champion in Nice. One thing to know it or read about it in media or on message boards. Another thing is to hear it live and straight to your face from a person. Guess what. When the time came up, my subconscious took the lead. I assumed the authorty to speak from an international community and, unlike with Kozuka, I switched into English and said "Daisuke, we love you. You are the true World champion." ... And I felt a relief and pride that I said what I wanted because I said the truth and voiced the opinion shared by so many people. At first he looked slightly surprised that someone addressed to him in English in that 99.999% Japanese Skate Center. He listened, then smiled when I finished, said "arigato gozaimasu" and shook my hand. He had a very warm hand. A 0.00001 of a second later I took his pic. The way how happy he looks assured me that he was glad to hear what I said: http://s014.radikal.ru/i327/1205/08/9a9747186e63.jpg Here's more pics from PIW: www.twitpic.com/photos/00LT and a fanvideo: www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqp9Ln1CoGE
I'll be in Shin-Yokohama on Thursday and Friday too. I'll come up with the updates then. :)

Thanks so much for the description of the show, Let's Talk. How nice that you got to give him that vote of confidence right out loud. I think you delivered in exactly the right way, in English so it was somehow a bit more private, and supportive rather than defensive, to take the sting out of it. He's lucky to have fans like you (and the rest of us!), and we're lucky to have a skater like him to be fans of.

Deedee, that video is scrumptious. It will tide us over until next season. I hope you and Let's Talk get to see Daisuke skate over the summer, and that you report to us about it!

On another thread, we learn that Japan's Prime Minister is attending a dinner in his honor given by Hillary Clinton, our Secretary of State, and the Shibutanis are being invited. One poster comments, "Do you think the prime minister is a skating fan?" When I think of the extraordinary level of skating in Japan right now, I'd be astonished if he isn't a fan.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
let's talk sounds like a great show and glad you got to speak your mind mind to Dai, thanks for the report.
Thanks for the photos and fan video!

deedee1

Record Breaker
Thank you so much for your report on the PIW show into such details, let's talk! :)
Thank you also the lovely photos and vid link.

Hope you will have a great time again at Shin-Yokohama tomorrow and Friday! :yes:

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
I know I'm not a part of this long conversation, but I couldn't not comment on a thread dedicated to Daisuke and fans. First of all, I wanted to say thanks to all of you who translated articles and things from Daisuke! I really wish I could speak Japanese so I could learn more things about him, but I can't, so thank you! Daisuke's my favorite skater and such a sweet person, also. Every program he does I end up loving, whether I like the music or not. Like "The Crisis" isn't very exciting music, but just the way Daisuke skates it makes it a masterpiece, because he feels the music in his soul. I'd love to see someone like Patrick Chan skate that program without putting me to sleep. And nothing against Patrick Chan, although he's not one of my personal favorites. He just doesn't have that on-ice charisma, that 'it factor', that draws people in like Daisuke does. It's like Daisuke and music are made for each other.

I, also, am very nervous/worried for Daisuke in Sochi. (Nervous already, and it's not for two years!) He wants it so bad, but it's going to be so hard for him to even medal. He always says he just wants to skate his best and do what he can, but you know he wants to win, or at least get a medal. I'll be heartbroken for him if he doesn't. I just hope he can stay at the top for two more years. He's getting older, but he's not the oldest out there; though, the competition will be tough. Evan Lysacek's coming back, and though I haven't seen him skate in a while, as the defending Olympic Champion, you'd expect him to be on the podium. Then there's Plushenko returning (again), and this time he'll have some home-country advantage, so I'd think he'd be on the podium, too. At this point, the way Patrick Chan's been winning everything, it seems like he'd be on the podium. (Although after losing to Dai at WTT and splitting up with his coach, maybe he won't be quite as dominant next season? Maybe?) Then you've got Yuzuru Hanyu who, if he keeps it up, could be a real threat. Artur Gachinski, too, even though he had a terrible season, might be able to come back in time for a home Olympics. So Daisuke's got to try to find a way to squeeze in there. Though, like someone mentioned, Olympic Champion or not, he's still one of the greatest skaters. And if Dai does win, (which, though I hate saying it, seems unlikely even though I'm determined to remain positive) I don't know what I'd do - freak out, probably. Probably a mixture of crying, jumping and screaming. He so deserves to be Olympic Champion. I can't wait to see his programs for next season! I wonder when we'll hear what they are?

His programs at Worlds this year were amazing! Although, the first time I watched his free skate I was so nervous I couldn't even enjoy it. I was holding my breath at every jump, praying he would land it. I was so thrilled he skated clean! And then when I watched it again, I was able to enjoy his wonderful performance skills that I think should have earned higher PCS. Even though he didn't win gold, I was happy for him. His skates will be the ones I remember and watch over and over (and Yuzuru's), not Patrick's. Good job, Dai!

Oh, and I really, really want to see his new Snoop Dogg EX! Hope it will be on YouTube soon!

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Corps de ballet in PIW was keeping on showing their tricks. That Nanri dude landed successfully 3A in finales as a matter of fact, he also did 3t-3t combo, and some other male skaters did triples too. How many ice skating shows you know where a corp de ballet skater, without even a solo number, lands 3A? Not many. Kobayashi was a true Team Spirit leader and a popular guy. Honda was Honda with all his masculinity style of J-Yag in full set. Shizuka was busy with parading her dresses one after another, while her skating was the same as for the last 6 years: 3S, a 2A-3T combo, a spin, ina bauer, end. Lovely and cute but when you watch the same stuff for 6 years, it can bore you. Akiko was almost always clean but she didn't challenge super elements like Kanako. Murakami had at least one combo in each program, either 3T-3T, or 3S-2L-2L. In the finale Friday morning she landed a 7-jump combo just for a joke but the last loop was two-footed, so she stopped. Still her presentation skills are quite poor, and her entrance to the jumps is not beautiful at all. I saw Miki in the backstage but she didn't take part in a show. Machida was always clean in all jumps, including 3A (but he made mistake in a finale yesterday). He has a good show feeling and great contact with the audience. It was especially important on the last two days when Mao and Kozuka was not around, so Machida had to take the lead, after Takahashi of course. On Thursday Dai did the morning mambo with 3F-3T, 3A, 3L-3T with no problem. In a finale the quad was two-footed. In "Sweat" in the afternoon 3A had a step-out, as well as later a quad in a finale. On Friday Dai rocked. Mambo was with three combos: 3F-3T, 3A-3T, 3Lutz-3T plus the great quad in a finale. The "Sweat" had 3F, 3A, 3Fl, then a quad in a finale. As I mentioned the new EX is not overoaded with super combos. Because it was created specially for summer shows I believe, with all that take-it-easy-and-enjoy attitude. I think he will show it in China, where I hope the rules are not so strict, so you guys might see the new EX on youtube. I wanted to wish him to wim the gold in Sochi, but he interrupted me after the phrase "kin medaru" and said "Gambarimasu!": http://i075.radikal.ru/1205/b0/f241a4611ade.jpg What a great answer to Chantrolls' rants that Dai's mindset is set for silver. I also wished him to enjoy the summer and have a nice holiday. There won't be any FS shows for a while in Tokyo and around. But we all deserve some rest. Otsukaresama. :)
www.twitpic.com/photos/00LT

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
That Nanri dude landed successfully 3A in finales as a matter of fact, he also did 3t-3t combo, and some other male skaters did triples too. How many ice skating shows you know where a corp de ballet skater, without even a solo number, lands 3A?

I miss Yasuharu Nanri! Is he still competing, or has he gone completely professional?