Page 101 of 196 FirstFirst ... 51 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 2931

Thread: Daisuke Takahashi

  1. #1501
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,860

    0 Not allowed!
    I actually researched on how to pronounce Daisuke's name after hearing various versions from skating commentators and found this, although I wouldn't mind a private lesson from him like the one Joannie got .

    Thanks ionap for your updates, mikaboo for the translation about the new "skating discipline" as related by Daisuke, and Pamina for sharing with us those "random snippets." Much appreciated.

  2. #1502
    Say no to horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    10,759

    0 Not allowed!
    Dai's name is really easy to pronoun. How can the commentators botch up his name?

  3. #1503
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,860

    0 Not allowed!
    ^Not surprisingly, the same British ESP commentators who also make a hash of Yuzuru's name are among the "offenders."

  4. #1504
    #timshel ioanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    2,344

    0 Not allowed!
    Simon Reed and Chris Howarth have called him Daisooki for possibly 10 years and never corrected themselves.

  5. #1505
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,860

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ioanap View Post
    Simon Reed and Chris Howarth have called him Daisooki for possibly 10 years and never corrected themselves.
    Ah I guess they can be forgiven as they absolutely adore Daisuke. I remember how indignant they were when Daisuke didn't win Worlds in 2012. LoL at Chris describing Daisuke's moves in "Blues for Klook" as "sexy, sultry" while qualifying that he's speaking "as a chap."

  6. #1506
    #timshel ioanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    2,344

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maria Victoria View Post
    LoL at Chris describing Daisuke's moves in "Blues for Klook" as "sexy, sultry" while qualifying that he's speaking "as a chap."
    Haha, I remember that
    Their commentaries over the years should definitely be put together in one video, like Yuzuru fans did. I'm thinking of at least collecting some of the best Dai commentaries and put the links here for the sake of it

  7. #1507
    Bona Fide Member Hanmgse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow where blue birds fly
    Posts
    2,729

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ioanap View Post
    Haha, I remember that
    Their commentaries over the years should definitely be put together in one video, like Yuzuru fans did. I'm thinking of at least collecting some of the best Dai commentaries and put the links here for the sake of it
    That would be awesome

  8. #1508
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    139

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maria Victoria View Post
    Ah I guess they can be forgiven as they absolutely adore Daisuke. I remember how indignant they were when Daisuke didn't win Worlds in 2012. LoL at Chris describing Daisuke's moves in "Blues for Klook" as "sexy, sultry" while qualifying that he's speaking "as a chap."
    I have always noticed their mispronunciation of his name but have always let it slide because of their enthusiasm and appreciation of Daisuke's talent. Particularly, as you mentioned, when he didn't win the Worlds and they were absolutely outraged. Their commentary is always my favourite.

  9. #1509
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    139

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ioanap View Post
    Haha, I remember that
    Their commentaries over the years should definitely be put together in one video, like Yuzuru fans did. I'm thinking of at least collecting some of the best Dai commentaries and put the links here for the sake of it
    You are such an angel.

  10. #1510
    Say no to horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    10,759

    0 Not allowed!
    And here I am thinking of collecting all the times that Simon and Chris have botched skaters' names. that would be a fest! I wonder how many skaters have been their "victims"

  11. #1511
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,623

    0 Not allowed!
    "Daisuke" is easy to pronounce, but if you have no idea how to pronounce Japanese, how would you know the "u" is silent? The weird part is the Eurosport commentators never corrected themselves for ten years. Perhaps there are very few Japanese people in Britain, so nobody in their office corrected them? (Can't believe they never figured it out from all the announcers and stuff though... I think the Sochi announcer said Daisuke's name right, at least on the second try).

    But LOL, they've definitely made mistakes on people who are not Daisuke! Witness:

    "Tatsoooooki Machida"
    "Yuzunori Hanyu" (I have no explanation for this...)
    Even, "Evgeni Pluchenko" when he was 14, though in their defense, I think the monitor spelled it that way.

    But my favourite: "Patrick Chan, for China."

    (...okay, that last one could be considered a little offensive, but I had to giggle a bit.)

  12. #1512
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    139

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    "Daisuke" is easy to pronounce, but if you have no idea how to pronounce Japanese, how would you know the "u" is silent? The weird part is the Eurosport commentators never corrected themselves for ten years. Perhaps there are very few Japanese people in Britain, so nobody in their office corrected them? (Can't believe they never figured it out from all the announcers and stuff though... I think the Sochi announcer said Daisuke's name right, at least on the second try).

    But LOL, they've definitely made mistakes on people who are not Daisuke! Witness:

    "Tatsoooooki Machida"
    "Yuzunori Hanyu" (I have no explanation for this...)
    Even, "Evgeni Pluchenko" when he was 14, though in their defense, I think the monitor spelled it that way.

    But my favourite: "Patrick Chan, for China."

    (...okay, that last one could be considered a little offensive, but I had to giggle a bit.)
    I agree about the mispronunciations but their knowledge and enthusiasm makes up for the names. As for "Patrick Chan of China"... that was a huge mistake. I was quite taken aback when I first heard it but then had to laugh like you. I'm Canadian but I forgave them for that simply because I do love their commentary.

  13. #1513
    Say no to horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    10,759

    0 Not allowed!
    I mean, they only have to pronounce their names as written, it's pretty easy so I don't understand at all.
    Dai su ke <--- was it difficult to pronounce?
    Tat su ki <---- his name was a little tricky with the tsu character but I think it's better than Tatsooooki!
    And poor Yuzuru, his name has been modified so many times: Yazunori, Yazura, Yuzuri... And his last name Hanya!
    I still like them btw.

  14. #1514
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,431

    0 Not allowed!
    Add to list: YuRuzu Commentator of NBC after his team event SP performance called him like that

    I don't understand how is possible to make mistake on Yuzuru's name

    "Patrick Chan for China" Hame someone link to video with this ?

  15. #1515
    Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity ice coverage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10,265

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    "Daisuke" is easy to pronounce, but if you have no idea how to pronounce Japanese, how would you know the "u" is silent? The weird part is the Eurosport commentators never corrected themselves for ten years. Perhaps there are very few Japanese people in Britain, so nobody in their office corrected them? (Can't believe they never figured it out from all the announcers and stuff though... I think the Sochi announcer said Daisuke's name right, at least on the second try).
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    I mean, they only have to pronounce their names as written, it's pretty easy so I don't understand at all.
    Dai su ke <--- was it difficult to pronounce? ...
    Gotta disagree with these posts.
    My mother, a fluent speaker of Japanese, has told me many times over the years that in Japanese, every vowel should be pronounced as a separate syllable.

    - Thus Daisuke's name technically has four syllables: Da - i - su - ke
    - And the "u" in Daisuke is not silent. It is a short syllable of its own.

    One of my pet peeves is the misconception that the authentic pronunciation of Daisuke has only two syllables.

Page 101 of 196 FirstFirst ... 51 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •