Daisuke Takahashi | Page 115 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi

Interspectator

Record Breaker

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I think Daisuke's place as one of the greatest figure skaters is secure: first Japanese and Asian man to win a world championship and Olympic bronze in singles. And the level of expression and passion he brings to his skating is unparalleled; a god of figure skating as the British commentators dubbed him. What makes him even more admirable (if that is possible) in my eyes is how he came back and scored his greatest triumphs after an injury that would have ended the career of a lesser person.

After giving so much to competitive figure skating, now is the time for Daisuke to proverbially smell the roses. If he hasn't yet, I wish he'll now find that special person he'll spend the rest of his life with. :)

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
So after crying my eyes out, I've finally calmed down and have slowly begun to accept this. On the bright side, it's about time he gives his body the rest that it deserves. As the trailblazer, he's so done so much for men's figure skating in Japan. He's been to three Olympics plus years of competitive skating. So many accomplishments under his belt. I wish him nothing but the best and will continue to support him in whatever he decides to do. Somehow I just wish there was a way to thank him in person for bringing tears and smiles to my face whenever I watch his skating.

giulia95

Medalist
I was not prepared to the news, it's a very sad beginning of the Dai..anyway I had the enormous privilege to watch his perfectc Blues of Klook live and I will jealously keep it in my soul as a fantastic gift.

I wish him all the best for his personal life and his future career, he deserves it so much!
Hope to see Dai in Europe very soon!

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Thanks jimeonji! For nonJapanese speaking fans of Daisuke like me, sharing this translation by FSUniverse's YukiNieve of what Daisuke said:

I've made up mind to retire and I'd like to move onto my next goal. This is a sudden decision even for myself, as I was going to spend a year considering whether or not to continue or to retire. But as I was struggling with making a decision, I felt uneasy. To move forward I felt I needed to draw the line and retire. Yes, this is all of sudden. I'd like to reassess myself as I think that life from now on will be much longer. There are many paths to pursue and I feel the life lying ahead of me requires even more passion, so I am ready to struggle to make decisions. My next goal is undecided, but at least I have decided to leave the competitive skating & move on.

There are two parts that were not clear to me due to the noise, but this mostly covers what he said.

(#29, http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...rement-at-a-press-conference-on-oct-14.93321/)

Thanks to YukiNieve!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Yuzuru made an official statement about Daisuke's retirement, expressing gratitude for all the advice and help he has received from him and for being able to go to him and consult about skating. He says he is always going to miss him.

http://www.daily.co.jp/newsflash/general/2014/10/14/0007417251.shtml

(fluent speakers please correct the translation if needed)

Quick Translation of Yuzuru's Statement:
Takahashi-Senshu has always pulled (me) along. I believe Takahashi has made (Japans?) men's figure skating what it is today. He has helped me and given me advice about skating many times. He will always be someone I look up to as a skater and my senior. Thank you so much for all the 'Kando' (Excitement, emotionally moving) until now.

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
More statements from the Japanese figure skating world

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20141014/k10015391691000.html

Tatsuki says he is shocked to hear the news and that he's always admired Dai and learned a lot of things from him. Shizuka says Dai is like a younger brother and is looking forward to see the things he will do in the future, and Nobunari says all the times he's competed against Dai remain precious memories.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
He looks relaxed, at peace with the decision. And that's the most important thing. His mother seems like a wonderful person.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Video of the press conference
http://youtu.be/T-smaR10R7Y

It includes his mother's statement, Shizuka's statement and Nagamitsu sensei's statement.
I´m thinking maybe Shizuka´s appointment as Vicepresident of JFS has something to do with this.

A translation of his interview said http://rinkwatchers.tumblr.com/post/99988242107/daisuketakahashi-was-suspposed-to-announce-his

Translation

Q: Can you share with us what your vision is for the future, if you please?

Daisuke: Well, let me see, I wonder how appropriate to talk about it here on this stage.

I have decided to retire and would like to move on to the next objective.

That’s how I concluded.

This is a sudden turn for myself too, to make this decision.

I thought I would take my time to think about it for a year or two,

to decide if I retire or continue to compete

But.. well,

even when I try to ponder over it to clear my thought

I realized that I have something woolly and cloudy in my mind.

To move forward, I thought I should draw a line.
Maybe there is a position for him helping Shizuka.