Daisuke Takahashi | Page 117 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi

Meoima

Match Penalty
Thank you Deedee! :cry: for such a wonderful post. I am sure Dai has felt lot of love around, from fans and his fellow skaters. I hope he all the best. At least he now has all the time for ice shows and to rest his body after all those years of hard working.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Deedee thank you for generously sharing with us your memories of Daisuke. Your love for him clearly shines through, and it is this kind of love and support that I think Daisuke needs in this crossroads of his life.

Like you, I also feel that Daisuke brings something unique to each of his perfomances, making each seem like new. For me, Daisuke's skating brings to mind these lines:

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness...

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^Thanks for the link to that interesting video ionap. I think Daisuke's Pagliacci program with lyrics works. Here's Daisuke's take on the
new rule allowing lyrics (not sure if it has been posted before in this thread):

Takahashi said he is not sure that is the right way for the sport to go. “I don’t like it at a competition,” he said. “But maybe there is some music that has just a few words, and not throughout the whole piece. It could be a nice idea to use that kind of music.

“I think music with lyrics feels like an exhibition performance and I think there has to be a difference between competition and shows.”

(http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/32736-daisuke-takahashi-trailblazer-takes-a-timeout)

ioanna

Record Breaker
New article by the Yomiuri Shimbun
http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0001655969

Takahashi retires after etching mark in history

“I wanted to help bring energy to the world of figure skating, and I thought the only way for me to do that was to focus on the artistic side,” Takahashi said at a press conference held in Okayama city on Oct. 14.

“I didn’t let other things clutter my thoughts and worked to get good results. That’s what has gotten me to this point,” said Takahashi, who became the first Japanese man to win an Olympic medal in figure skating when he won bronze at the Vancouver Games in 2010.

Takahashi’s longtime coach Utako Nagamitsu praised his charge for “improving his skating technique and elevating the artistic expression in his routines to a level that surpassed U.S. and European skaters.”

“He was one of few skaters capable of making sports and art mesh. I would like to thank him for being involved with the sport of figure skating,” said the 63-year-old Nagamitsu.

He refocused on his basic skills, and turned his attention on the only title he had not obtained: Olympic gold. That was his goal at the Sochi Games, but he finished sixth, in part because of the effects of a right-shin injury.

Yuzuru Hanyu, a 19-year-old who describes Takahashi as his role model, grabbed the gold medal.

“Daisuke has always shown me the way. He’s the one who has made Japan men’s figure skating what it is now,” Hanyu said.

“Yuzuru will be the next driving force [for Japan],” Takahashi said. “But at the same time, I hope to see the emergence of skaters capable of surpassing what he has done and increase the level of competition.”

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^Thanks ionap for sharing the article. Lovely to see the two biggest male figure skater stars that Japan has produced to have such respect for each other. They are both great, and the accomplishments of one should not be viewed in a way to diminish the other.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Dai need to be in GQ now! GQ Editors what are you thinking?!!

(Other than best hair in skating, I'd add best lips for skating :eek::) Yes it should matter!!!!

jimeonji

Final Flight
Finally Dai will skate in Europe again! It'll be the first time since 2007 in France, correct? Hopefully those who live in Europe will be able to travel and see him skate.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Finally Dai will skate in Europe again! It'll be the first time since 2007 in France, correct? Hopefully those who live in Europe will be able to travel and see him skate.

Yes, first time since 2007 and second time ever :)

deedee1

Record Breaker
Dai has been added to the cast of Art On Ice and will be skating in Switzerland in February.
https://www.facebook.com/ArtOnIce/p...251962.157853828140/10152575943963141/?type=1

How nice he gets invited to ice shows in Europe, especially such fantastic shows as Art on Ice! :yes: Thanks for the info.
Now it's your turn, to recruit Daisuke to your shows, Stars on Ice US/Canada guys! ;)

Dai at Bercy 2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nivS46HvzQ0 Look at the last St Sq which is the 'round trip' (60m x 2). :cool:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
How about if Dai headlines his own show in North America, or Stephane brings Art on Ice to the US with Dai (please!!!). He's way too good for Stars on Ice.

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
Just caught myself looking up airfares to Switzerland in February. Whoops! :biggrin: Don't think I'll truly be able to make it but I am so happy for the fans in Europe. This is great news!

firal

Record Breaker
Guess I'm not the only one who thought "wow maybe now he will come to North America!" when I saw the news. :laugh:

deedee1

Record Breaker
How about if Dai headlines his own show in North America, or Stephane brings Art on Ice to the US with Dai (please!!!). He's way too good for Stars on Ice.

Hop me on your badnwagon, gallavich! Or, how about Dai Stephane and Jeff together create whole new ice shows and go on to the world tour? :love: