Daisuke Takahashi | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi

deedee1

Record Breaker
Corps de ballet in PIW was keeping on showing their tricks. That Nanri dude landed successfully 3A in finales as a matter of fact, he also did 3t-3t combo, and some other male skaters did triples too. How many ice skating shows you know where a corp de ballet skater, without even a solo number, lands 3A? Not many. Kobayashi was a true Team Spirit leader and a popular guy. Honda was Honda with all his masculinity style of J-Yag in full set. Shizuka was busy with parading her dresses one after another, while her skating was the same as for the last 6 years: 3S, a 2A-3T combo, a spin, ina bauer, end. Lovely and cute but when you watch the same stuff for 6 years, it can bore you. Akiko was almost always clean but she didn't challenge super elements like Kanako. Murakami had at least one combo in each program, either 3T-3T, or 3S-2L-2L. In the finale Friday morning she landed a 7-jump combo just for a joke but the last loop was two-footed, so she stopped. Still her presentation skills are quite poor, and her entrance to the jumps is not beautiful at all. I saw Miki in the backstage but she didn't take part in a show. Machida was always clean in all jumps, including 3A (but he made mistake in a finale yesterday). He has a good show feeling and great contact with the audience. It was especially important on the last two days when Mao and Kozuka was not around, so Machida had to take the lead, after Takahashi of course. On Thursday Dai did the morning mambo with 3F-3T, 3A, 3L-3T with no problem. In a finale the quad was two-footed. In "Sweat" in the afternoon 3A had a step-out, as well as later a quad in a finale. On Friday Dai rocked. Mambo was with three combos: 3F-3T, 3A-3T, 3Lutz-3T plus the great quad in a finale. The "Sweat" had 3F, 3A, 3Fl, then a quad in a finale. As I mentioned the new EX is not overoaded with super combos. Because it was created specially for summer shows I believe, with all that take-it-easy-and-enjoy attitude. I think he will show it in China, where I hope the rules are not so strict, so you guys might see the new EX on youtube. I wanted to wish him to wim the gold in Sochi, but he interrupted me after the phrase "kin medaru" and said "Gambarimasu!": http://i075.radikal.ru/1205/b0/f241a4611ade.jpg What a great answer to Chantrolls' rants that Dai's mindset is set for silver. I also wished him to enjoy the summer and have a nice holiday. There won't be any FS shows for a while in Tokyo and around. But we all deserve some rest. Otsukaresama.
www.twitpic.com/photos/00LT

Let's talk, thank you so much for your detailed report on PIW again!:clap:

Thanks also for the lovely pics from the show. We are glad to see Daisuke's broad smiles, and so glad to know you had great time there again! Your pics make us feel as if we were there with you!:yes:

Besides Dai's I loved these pics:

http://www.twitpic.com/9h8ane

I sincerely hope Tatsuki Machida gets at least one Grand Prix assignment next season and finishes strong, so that he is able to perform his samurai Aranjuez EX in the Gala in front of foreign audience!

http://www.twitpic.com/9h836s

Been a while for me to see Yasuharu Nanri since he retired from competitive skating. Glad to know he still has a killer 3A. :cool:

To blue dog: yes, Nanri retired after 2009-10 season when he missed out the National team for the Olympics...The last time I heard about him, is that he has a coaching job in his local rink, while getting to perform ice shows, especially Prince Ice Worlds, a couple of times a year.

http://www.twitpic.com/9h81m5

How can she (Junko Yaginuma) retain not only her beautiful skating, but also her beauty and slender body at the age of 39??? is forever a mystery to me! :bow::laugh:

Last edited:

Morena

On the Ice
I, also, am very nervous/worried for Daisuke in Sochi. (Nervous already, and it's not for two years!) He wants it so bad, but it's going to be so hard for him to even medal. He always says he just wants to skate his best and do what he can, but you know he wants to win, or at least get a medal. I'll be heartbroken for him if he doesn't. I just hope he can stay at the top for two more years. He's getting older, but he's not the oldest out there; though, the competition will be tough. Evan Lysacek's coming back, and though I haven't seen him skate in a while, as the defending Olympic Champion, you'd expect him to be on the podium. Then there's Plushenko returning (again), and this time he'll have some home-country advantage, so I'd think he'd be on the podium, too. At this point, the way Patrick Chan's been winning everything, it seems like he'd be on the podium. (Although after losing to Dai at WTT and splitting up with his coach, maybe he won't be quite as dominant next season? Maybe?) Then you've got Yuzuru Hanyu who, if he keeps it up, could be a real threat. Artur Gachinski, too, even though he had a terrible season, might be able to come back in time for a home Olympics. So Daisuke's got to try to find a way to squeeze in there. Though, like someone mentioned, Olympic Champion or not, he's still one of the greatest skaters. And if Dai does win, (which, though I hate saying it, seems unlikely even though I'm determined to remain positive) I don't know what I'd do - freak out, probably. Probably a mixture of crying, jumping and screaming. He so deserves to be Olympic Champion. I can't wait to see his programs for next season! I wonder when we'll hear what they are?
So you see Evan as medal contender, but not Dai?
Interesting.
I think that Dai has as high chances for OGM as Patrick.
Bronze is to so called "next generation".
I`m glad if Evan is really back. Hopefully current OGM will prevent judges from being Chan-fluented again.
Judges` determination to make Patrick champion again no matter what, in fact led to antipathy.
Patrick wasn`t dominant, but his scores were. (Plushenko was dominant skater, because he won without falling each competition).
Some "Oh, Patrick was booed by French crowd, or japanese" is really laughable. French didn`t booed Yuzuru that took away possible Joubert`s bronze. As for Japanese, their inteligence is well-known, they can`t act like this.
It was a real disservice from judges to Patrick, such a bitter victory I didn`t see.

Morena

On the Ice
Shizuka was busy with parading her dresses one after another, while her skating was the same as for the last 6 years: 3S, a 2A-3T combo, a spin, ina bauer, end. Lovely and cute but when you watch the same stuff for 6 years, it can bore you.

let`s talk, you didn`t expect from Shizuka 3-3 combos, do you?
Even 2A-3T is good for skater retired 6 years ago.
For me she is iconic skater, her grace and elegance is unparalleled. She`s a treasure of FS.
Though I understand your getting bored from her programs.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for your latest report let's talk. Nice to hear about the other skaters and of
course Dai!

deedee1

Record Breaker
I know I'm not a part of this long conversation, but I couldn't not comment on a thread dedicated to Daisuke and fans. First of all, I wanted to say thanks to all of you who translated articles and things from Daisuke! I really wish I could speak Japanese so I could learn more things about him, but I can't, so thank you! Daisuke's my favorite skater and such a sweet person, also. Every program he does I end up loving, whether I like the music or not. Like "The Crisis" isn't very exciting music, but just the way Daisuke skates it makes it a masterpiece, because he feels the music in his soul. I'd love to see someone like Patrick Chan skate that program without putting me to sleep. And nothing against Patrick Chan, although he's not one of my personal favorites. He just doesn't have that on-ice charisma, that 'it factor', that draws people in like Daisuke does. It's like Daisuke and music are made for each other.

I, also, am very nervous/worried for Daisuke in Sochi. (Nervous already, and it's not for two years!) He wants it so bad, but it's going to be so hard for him to even medal. He always says he just wants to skate his best and do what he can, but you know he wants to win, or at least get a medal. I'll be heartbroken for him if he doesn't. I just hope he can stay at the top for two more years. He's getting older, but he's not the oldest out there; though, the competition will be tough. Evan Lysacek's coming back, and though I haven't seen him skate in a while, as the defending Olympic Champion, you'd expect him to be on the podium. Then there's Plushenko returning (again), and this time he'll have some home-country advantage, so I'd think he'd be on the podium, too. At this point, the way Patrick Chan's been winning everything, it seems like he'd be on the podium. (Although after losing to Dai at WTT and splitting up with his coach, maybe he won't be quite as dominant next season? Maybe?) Then you've got Yuzuru Hanyu who, if he keeps it up, could be a real threat. Artur Gachinski, too, even though he had a terrible season, might be able to come back in time for a home Olympics. So Daisuke's got to try to find a way to squeeze in there. Though, like someone mentioned, Olympic Champion or not, he's still one of the greatest skaters. And if Dai does win, (which, though I hate saying it, seems unlikely even though I'm determined to remain positive) I don't know what I'd do - freak out, probably. Probably a mixture of crying, jumping and screaming. He so deserves to be Olympic Champion. I can't wait to see his programs for next season! I wonder when we'll hear what they are?

His programs at Worlds this year were amazing! Although, the first time I watched his free skate I was so nervous I couldn't even enjoy it. I was holding my breath at every jump, praying he would land it. I was so thrilled he skated clean! And then when I watched it again, I was able to enjoy his wonderful performance skills that I think should have earned higher PCS. Even though he didn't win gold, I was happy for him. His skates will be the ones I remember and watch over and over (and Yuzuru's), not Patrick's. Good job, Dai!

Oh, and I really, really want to see his new Snoop Dogg EX! Hope it will be on YouTube soon!

Might be a bit late to say, but 'a hearty welcome' to the GS Forum from me, too, Butterscotch17! and thank you so much for your lovely post on Daisuke! :)

Many, me included of course, agree with you about Dai, his skating, and his sweet personality. :yes:
Daisuke just grabs my heart and soul like no one else can! One thing of out many I love about his skating is, he skates his programs with all of his energy, heart and soul everytime he goes out to the ice, whether or not it's a big competition. So it looks to me a different performance each time out. I can see his take on his feeling for the music. It gives me different impression on his program, I find new things in his skating and enjoy it each time, even though he skates to the same music with almost the same choreography throughout the year. In performance-wise, every time different and never be the same program for me! My English is not enough to express my feeling well, but we say it in Japanese '一期一会 (ichigo ichie)'; 'One encounter is one and only: so precious, there won't be next one, never be the same even if so.' Hope my English makes sense to you.

As for your concern/worry for Dai in Sochi, a lot of us share your feelings, too. But don't worry too much, I would say.
Upon his disappointing performance at 2011 Moscow Worlds, he announced his intention to continue three more seoson until Sochi Olympics. Daisuke himself admitted at that time, knowing he was behind of Patrick, Takahiko and/or Artur in TES-wise, that he was not sure if future Dai would get on the podium in Sochi, or even he could make the national team considering the depth in Japanese Mens field...But at the same time, he knew he was getting back his strength on his injured knee gradually, so that it would get much better in the near future and he wanted to give another try. He is a competitive skater after all. It's his choice to make. Figure skating is a sport, an Olympic sport. OGM is a dream and ultimate goal for every athelets in the world. As one of his big fans, what I can do is to respect his decision and root for him, and I will root for him with all of my heart. The best man wins in 2014, whether it will be Evgeni, Patrick, Evan, Dai or younger one like Yuzuru, nobody, including skating god ;), knows yet. If it's Dai, we will do a happy dance together:party2:, if it's not him unfortunately, we will thank Dai for many great performances full of his heart and soul anyway, just like we are doing right now.:yes:

carignan

Rinkside
A peson in Daisuke's fan forum added English subtitles to this short but super wonderful documentary about the resumption of his quad. Congratulations for getting back, Daisuke!! (And special thanks to the video maker.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEYVAxwWRdg

It was a tough road to overcome. I remember, I prepared myself to see the worst scenario back in the November 2008. But he came back! Now he is even stronger than he used to be. You are so brave, Daisuke. :clap:

Last edited:

carignan

Rinkside
I forgot to write this.... Thank you very very much for the PIW report, let's talk! I enjoyed a lot!!

Hanaka

Rinkside
let`s talk, you didn`t expect from Shizuka 3-3 combos, do you?
Even 2A-3T is good for skater retired 6 years ago.
For me she is iconic skater, her grace and elegance is unparalleled. She`s a treasure of FS.
Though I understand your getting bored from her programs.

Totally off topic, but a friend of mine e-mailed me that Shizuka landed 3-3 in a PIW show! Was she wrong? Shizuka is amazing! Whenever she skates in a show, many people say she can still compete. She is still improving.

Morena

On the Ice
Hanaka, I agree that Shizuka can still compete and medal, if not win.
Last 2 years ladies competition became so weak.
Their 3T+3T combo doesn't impress me at all.
I really hope that next season russian wonder babies and Gracie Gold will make the field more exciting.
May be Kanako will improve and shine as was expected to.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Record Breaker
A peson in Daisuke's fan forum added English subtitles to this short but super wonderful documentary about the resumption of his quad. Congratulations for getting back, Daisuke!! (And special thanks to the video maker.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEYVAxwWRdg

It was a tough road to overcome. I remember, I prepared myself to see the worst scenario back in the November 2008. But he came back! Now he is even stronger than he used to be. You are so brave, Daisuke. :clap:

Thank you for sharing and thanks to Dai's fan forum for the translation. I admire his determination to readjust his body to re-learn the quad. GO DAI!!!!!

let`s talk

Match Penalty

Been a while for me to see Yasuharu Nanri since he retired from competitive skating. Glad to know he still has a killer 3A. :cool:
Yeah, and he landed it in all 6 shows that I visited! In the last show he tried a combo 3A-3T but fell on 3T. I hope I'll see his cool stuff again in July in PIW (with no Dai but with Plush and Hanyu on the list). Here he is with Miki. I mentioned she was in the backstage but she didn't take part in shows: Here is more pics from PIW shows:

Last edited by a moderator:

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
So you see Evan as medal contender, but not Dai?
Interesting.

I see Dai as a contender, too, but I just think that as an Olympic champion, Evan wouldn't return if he didn't believe that he could be among the top, just my opinion. Like I said, I haven't seen him skate in a long time, but I hear he's been landing quads in practice. Daisuke seems to have his quad back now finally, though, so that will help him out.

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
Might be a bit late to say, but 'a hearty welcome' to the GS Forum from me, too, Butterscotch17! and thank you so much for your lovely post on Daisuke! :)

Many, me included of course, agree with you about Dai, his skating, and his sweet personality. :yes:
Daisuke just grabs my heart and soul like no one else can! One thing of out many I love about his skating is, he skates his programs with all of his energy, heart and soul everytime he goes out to the ice, whether or not it's a big competition. So it looks to me a different performance each time out. I can see his take on his feeling for the music. It gives me different impression on his program, I find new things in his skating and enjoy it each time, even though he skates to the same music with almost the same choreography throughout the year. In performance-wise, every time different and never be the same program for me! My English is not enough to express my feeling well, but we say it in Japanese '一期一会 (ichigo ichie)'; 'One encounter is one and only: so precious, there won't be next one, never be the same even if so.' Hope my English makes sense to you.

As for your concern/worry for Dai in Sochi, a lot of us share your feelings, too. But don't worry too much, I would say.
Upon his disappointing performance at 2011 Moscow Worlds, he announced his intention to continue three more seoson until Sochi Olympics. Daisuke himself admitted at that time, knowing he was behind of Patrick, Takahiko and/or Artur in TES-wise, that he was not sure if future Dai would get on the podium in Sochi, or even he could make the national team considering the depth in Japanese Mens field...But at the same time, he knew he was getting back his strength on his injured knee gradually, so that it would get much better in the near future and he wanted to give another try. He is a competitive skater after all. It's his choice to make. Figure skating is a sport, an Olympic sport. OGM is a dream and ultimate goal for every athelets in the world. As one of his big fans, what I can do is to respect his decision and root for him, and I will root for him with all of my heart. The best man wins in 2014, whether it will be Evgeni, Patrick, Evan, Dai or younger one like Yuzuru, nobody, including skating god ;), knows yet. If it's Dai, we will do a happy dance together:party2:, if it's not him unfortunately, we will thank Dai for many great performances full of his heart and soul anyway, just like we are doing right now.:yes:

Thank you, Deedee1! You are absolutely right. I agree that I also find new things in his skating every time and enjoy it every time even though it is the same music. And your English is very good! I wouldn't know it wasn't your first language from your writing. Especially your last paragraph was so beautifully written! You are right - I should not worry so much. No matter how he does, I will always be his fan and will always enjoy his performances. Olympic gold medal or not, Daisuke will always be a champion.

deedee1

Record Breaker
To Morena:

Welcome to the GS Forum!

As for Shizuka, I also wish she would still compete. I heard somewhere that Shizuka can still land 3Lz in practice and even go for 3Lz-3T or 3S-3T-2Lo.:cool:
Ladies competitions might have been different at Vancouver if we have had Shizuka and/or Sasha, I still wonder sometimes...

But I also believe they are not strong competitors. Same goes to Buttle. All of them were and still are talented, wonderful and gorgeous skaters and have everything to be champions multiple times. However, while they brought a lot of good things and uniqueness in their own ways to competitive skating, even under the strict CoP rules, and they gave us lots of memorable performances that we appreciate so much and remember forever, they tended to a bit falter in big competitions due to their nerves. We do not see many Evgenis and Evans unfortunately, but their skatings are not always everyone's cup of tea, either. We root for our favorite skaters anyway, don't we? Besides, if we happen to have 2 Evgenis, 2 Evans and 2 Patricks in the final group, how many of us in the world (I mean, skating fans in general, not uber fans living somewhere very far in another universe called a Ro-si-a, Yu-e-su, or Ka-na-da? ;)) would want to turn on TV on the night of Mens free skate at Sochi? I am sure every online skating boards would clash afterwards, too.:laugh:

My point is, these skaters shine more in show skatings, can expand the possibility of figure skating as a perfroming art on the ice, and make us enjoy and appreciate this sport more than ever. I am glad Jeff is interested in choreographic work, and helps and inspires younger skaters. Stephane Lambiel, too. I have no doubt both Jeff and Stephane can be well known great choreographers, like David or Lori, very soon.

And if we talk about Japanese skaters, did not Shizuka do choreo for Shoko Ishikawa's LP to Miss Saigon this season? Takeshi is now Dai's jump coach as well as his good mentor. Kensuke Nakaniwa and Yasuharu Nanri are coaches at their local rinks. Noriyuki Kanzaki is an ISU licensed technical specialist. Isn't it so nice for us to hear about them even after they retired from competitive skating? We may be able to see them either in kiss & cry with younger skaters, or among the technical panel at NHK trophy in the near future! We hardly heard about retired skaters a couple years ago, didn't we? It's great to realize that the skating community is expanding in Japan, little by little but definately in the right direction, and that there are job opportunities for retired skaters in this business now, though its market is not as huge as in US or Canada.:yes:

Sorry, my post is getting long once again...I'll stop here.
Welcome again to the Forum, Morena. Post often, post long! :)

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
To Butterscotch17:

Gald to know you feel better now. :)
Sochi is two years away from now. A lot can happen to any athletes regardless we like it or not. If we worry about it too much, we may get, say, twenty:eek:years older in two years. By the time the Mens competition is about to start, we are too tired to cheer for Daisuke (don't forget Dai loves cheering from the audience!), or too lazy even to turn on TV.:laugh:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Yeah, and he landed it in all 6 shows that I visited! In the last show he tried a combo 3A-3T but fell on 3T. I hope I'll see his cool stuff again in July in PIW (with no Dai but with Plush and Hanyu on the list). Here he is with Miki. I mentioned she was in the backstage but she didn't take part in shows: Here is more pics from PIW shows:

Wow, Yasu went for 3A-3T???:cool:

And thanks for additional pics!
Yasu with Miki...they look sweet together, don't they?:biggrin:
Really nice to see Mao with her cheek in pink! She now looks much healthier.:love:
It's been a very tough year for her in many ways...Hope she slows down a bit; both as a skater, a person and as a young lady, and enjoy her life full of youthfullness. Mao, your days in twenties do not last forever! Don't miss any chance to enjoy your life while you can! :yes:

deedee1, thank you!

It's sad that Asada's, Arakawa's and Suzuki's fans are in state of war.
My favourite is Mao, but I like other skaters too.

So Dai is not with IMG, that explains his absence in "The Ice" since 2008.

Likewise! I'm a fan of all three ladies (and obviously also of Daisuke). I bet we're not the only ones, either.

demarinis5

Record Breaker
Thanks for the link. I loved Dai's response when Shiz ask him how he felt about his performance.

Dai was in the zone, he was in his rhythm.

let`s talk

Match Penalty

Thanks for the link. I loved Dai's response when Shiz ask him how he felt about his performance.

Dai was in the zone, he was in his rhythm.
Welll, actually the same user started to put subtitles on Friends documentary about Dai. It was issued before major events, still it's interesting to watch.
Part1:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=axXuovQrZ6I
Part 2:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWGjars99A

And Luchianov wrote a beautiful article about Dai on fskating where he compared him with Japanese calligraphy :).
http://fskating.com/2012/05/daisuke-takahashi-the-way-of-art.html

Last edited by a moderator:

deedee1

Record Breaker
And Luchianov wrote a beautiful article about Dai on fskating where he compared him with Japanese calligraphy :).
http://fskating.com/2012/05/daisuke-takahashi-the-way-of-art.html

Thanks so much for the link.
It is indeed a beautiful essay, isn't it?
Whenever I encounter nice articles like this one, I often come to realize Daisuke as a skater probably gains more recognition and is much appreciated in other countries, rather than in Japan.

"You just have to watch and FEEL it. Feelings will come by itself and you are unlikely will not be able to accurately describe them."

This sentence summs up all for me.
I would say exactly the same if I am to explain to someone who does not know him or his skating well yet why I am a fan of Daisuke and why he is so special as a skater to me . Because his performance itself says it all. Millions of words may not speak as much as his one performance full of his heart and soul.
If I have to pick up one from his such performances, probably this one, though it is far from perfect technically.

2010 Nationals LP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhg2BY6oYww

Last edited: