Page 18 of 199 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Thread: Daisuke Takahashi

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    As always, thanks for your efforts, Deedee1! I'm not exaggerating when I say that there's no way I'd have access to this information without your bringing it to us. I love that Daisuke was able to memorize the Compulsory Dance and then demonstrate it the next day. Clearly this guy values the things about skating that I most value, except that he's able to do them, while I can just watch and get gooseflesh.
    Last edited by Olympia; 05-24-2012 at 07:01 AM.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks a lot for encouraging me with your kind words, as always Olympia!

---------------------------------------
    RE: About Mrs. Utako Nagamitsu, a figure skating coach
    Sources: Nikkei shimbun
    Dates: May 24-26, 2010
    Writer: Masako Hara
    Remarks:
    -<1> is a sort of explanatory note by deedee. The actual article starts from here.
    -English words/expressions may be added/replaced in order to make more sense and/or for easier reading in English. Also, allow me, as usual, for grammatical mistakes if any.

<2>

"I would appreciate if you'd rather not write this yet...in any of your articles, okay?"

One day last August (in 2009), Utako Nagamitsu made it clear to me (the writer of Nikkei) beforehand, then started talking. In her usual soft tone of voice with Kansai accent.

"If every piece is to settle down to its right place at Vancouver, I believe without doubt that my boy is the one who will win OGM. It's just my hunch, but he at least will get on the podium there under any circumstances."

'My boy', she said back then, was Daisuke Takahashi of course, who won the bronze medal at the Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver this February. But Takahashi as of last August was the skater who had just made his appearances in the ice shows for the first time in a year after the knee injury, and still was on his long way making a comeback to comeptitive skating. To my eyes, however, Nagamitsu had no doubt that her boy would win at least a medal, no matter what.

"She believes whatever she believes. She is a woman but I would say she is a much tougher guy than I am, of high caliber and more the Godfather like!", says Takahashi.

Believing leads you to great force. There were voices in Vancouver: "If Takahashi does not go for that risky quad (and focuses more on going clean), he has much better chance for OGM..." But Nagamitsu simply turned it down. "I have never ever thought of telling Dai to avoid a quad. He is the kind of skater tending to make a mistake when he goes conservative, say, watering down his technical contents. 'Which skater are you talking about? It's Daisuke Takahashi!', I wanted to tell them, you know", she says.
    "I am probably one of the most optimistic people in the world. I believed in him and have always told everyone around me, 'Daisuke is no average skater. So talented, that I can not even tell you how much talented he is.' And he finally did!"

It was 11 years ago when Nagamitsu and Takahashi met each other. One day that summer, a boy walked into the ice rink in Sendai, where Team Nagamitsu was having summer training camp from Osaka.
    "He must be one of your boys, right?" Someone asked. She replied back, "No, he isn't." That was young Daisuke. He came to Sendai all by himself from Okayama, his native city, for choreography of his new free program. The music piece was Warsaw Concerto. 'Such a difficult piece of classical music to interpret and skate to for an thirteen year old boy...' Nagamitsu thought to herself. His choreographer, however, left the rink for Tokyo for some urgent business to attend, and she pinch-hitted to do the rest of his choreo. When she started working with him, the young boy surprised her. "He moved around softly and so delicately skating to this piece, as if every note of the music was coming from the inside of his body..."

------------------------
    (cont'd)
    Last edited by deedee1; 05-26-2012 at 12:18 AM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Thank so much deedee1

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the translation deedee1. I am so glad that you joined this forum, you are a breath of fresh air!

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, Deedee! What a wonderful treasurehouse of information this article is.

The Warsaw Concerto, eh? A perfect piece for him. I wonder how he came across it. It's a wonderfully tempestuous, romantic piece--it was actually created for a movie. It's hardly played nowadays, but they used to broadcast a recording of it on the radio. Is it more popular in Japan, I wonder. I just looked it up, and the producers of the movie apparently wanted a symphonic piano work that was in the tradition of Rachmaninoff. I think the composer, Richard Addinsell, was British.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg0QEpXYmUw

See, this shows that you can find pieces to skate to that are full-blooded and accessible but don't have audience members saying, "Oh, that again."
    Last edited by Olympia; 05-25-2012 at 07:35 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    There is an article up on IN about Pasquale Carmerlengo. In Paragraph 6 of the article IN says that Dai is working with Lori on his 2012-2013 programs. No other info and no direct quotes.
    I am not sure if Pasquale said this because he was not quoted.
    Last edited by demarinis5; 05-26-2012 at 06:40 AM.

take off the oven mitts

0 Not allowed!
    first of all, thank you deedee for yet more wonderful translations

about daisuke and lori... if it's indeed true...

a lot of people are already rolling their eyes, but i think lori is plenty capable of turning out great work--witness her programs for carolina. and she knows the world is expecting something amazing for daisuke, so i doubt she'll view this as another day at the office. maybe she'll feel as TAT did when TAT worked with MK--because like the TAT & MK collaboration, this coming together took a bit of serendipity; i certainly didn't see it coming.

i don't follow daisuke as closely as the true fans on this thread do, but from what i recall from generous translators, he'd said something like, he knows the road ahead is going to be tough and he might not achieve the heights he'd reached in the past, but he still wants to skate, to meet the challenges as best he can and explore more within skating (ok, i'm probably way off by now... but i remember being very touched by his words--his humility and respect for his skating contemporaries... )

was it the season before last, he had lambiel choreograph a program, though he competed mostly with a different long program? so there's still hope for anyone disappointed to hear he's working with lori-- maybe he's creating yet another short or long with someone else! :D i want to see dai skate to as many interesting pieces of music as possible, so as long as he's not so busy that he's not maintaining his health, i'd be happy to see him have additional programs in his repertoire as well. ^^

anyway, as someone who is still branching out and learning, why shouldn't he work with nichol and see what she has to show him? maybe the process of creating a program with her, collaborating with her is valuable in and of itself, even if the program they create together isn't going to blow some people's minds the way blues for klook did. maybe he'll refresh her inspiration and she'll have another period like when MK and sale & pelletier especially inspired her.

for me, the *music* for blues for klook is... not a favorite, so i'm not at all sorry to see what another choreographer will come up with for dai. and camerlengo may still be choreographing one competitive or exhibition program for dai, so... there might yet be something for everybody. ^_^
    Last edited by skfan; 05-25-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    There is an article up on IN about Pasquale Carmerlengo. In Paragraph 6 of the article IN says that Dai is working with Lori on his 2012-1013 programs. No other info and no direct quotes.
    I am not sure if Pasquale said this because he was not quoted.
    !!!!!!
    ...and programS???? Let me go and read it first!!! --------->IN

(Waking up very late Saturday morning again, but this time, a pig IS flying over MY head...)

Banned

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    In Paragraph 6 of the article IN says that Dai is working with Lori on his 2012-2013 programs.

I am speechless.

I don't remember any FS news ever that made let`s talk speechless.

SkateFiguring took the violet pill

0 Not allowed!
    I have assumed their collaboration for a while and forgot it wasn't official. This is their first opportunity to work with each other and I am sure they will enjoy exploring and exploiting each other's talents. Can't wait to see the product(s).

Banned

0 Not allowed!
    A few days ago Kenji wrote in his blog that they created a new EX for Shanghai shows- Tango by Quint Elle. The link (courtesy by Dai fan forum):
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDAyODg3OTg0.html

Skeptic Satirist Critic Muppet Fan OS's Avatar
    The soul takes flight to a world that is invisible, but there arriving she is assured of bliss and forever dwells in paradise.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post

"He must be one of your boys, right?" Someone asked. She replied back, "No, he isn't." That was young Daisuke. He came to Sendai all by himself from Okayama, his native city, for choreography of his new free program. The music piece was Warsaw Concerto. 'Such a difficult piece of classical music to interpret and skate to for an thirteen year old boy...' Nagamitsu thought to herself. His choreographer, however, left the rink for Tokyo for some urgent business to attend, and she pinch-hitted to do the rest of his choreo. When she started working with him, the young boy surprised her. "He moved around softly and so delicately skating to this piece, as if every note of the music was coming from the inside of his body..."

------------------------
    (cont'd)
    Thank you so much for this translation Deedee... i'd love to see the 13 year old Daisuke performing to Warsaw Concerto. I wish there's a youtube clip of this somewhere. I wonder how he compares with the young Hanyu.

You know I have always felt there's nothing like an born gifted musical skater that command the ice like they are born to skate. Daisuke absolutely gets the music and always such a generous performer sharing his thoughts on the music which his audiences. Daisuke's ability to effortlessly reach this transcendental state is something super rare and makes him a joy and excitement to watch.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm late to the party, but a huge thank you deedee1 from me too! It's always great to read your translations, so really really thank you =)

For the news of Dai working with Nichol next season... I'm semi-excited about it. It will probably give him huge PCS. It might too give him programms I don't really find enjoyable. Nichol is capable of creating absolute beauty, no doubt, but she can create pretty big messes too. I guess I'll just don't think too much about it and just wait what will come out of it. This is Dai, he'll be able to skate to and sell everything any choreographer gives him

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Here is sending back my big 'thank-you!' to everyone for your kind words![
    I am so glad to join thsi forum, too, and to have opportunities to introduce some news/information on our skaters that is only or seemingly available in Japanese language to you.

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    I am speechless.

I don't remember any FS news ever that made let's talk speechless.
    I was like the whole Saturday!

Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    about daisuke and lori... if it's indeed true...

a lot of people are already rolling their eyes, but i think lori is plenty capable of turning out great work--witness her programs for carolina. and she knows the world is expecting something amazing for daisuke, so i doubt she'll view this as another day at the office.
    i want to see dai skate to as many interesting pieces of music as possible, so as long as he's not so busy that he's not maintaining his health, i'd be happy to see him have additional programs in his repertoire as well. ^^

anyway, as someone who is still branching out and learning, why shouldn't he work with nichol and see what she has to show him? maybe the process of creating a program with her, collaborating with her is valuable in and of itself, even if the program they create together isn't going to blow some people's minds the way blues for klook did. maybe he'll refresh her inspiration and she'll have another period like when MK and sale & pelletier especially inspired her.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I have assumed their collaboration for a while and forgot it wasn't official. This is their first opportunity to work with each other and I am sure they will enjoy exploring and exploiting each other's talents. Can't wait to see the product(s).
    to both!
    But SkateFiguring, you could have at least PMed me if you already knew that. ^^;

Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    i'd love to see the 13 year old Daisuke performing to Warsaw Concerto. I wish there's a youtube clip of this somewhere. I wonder how he compares with the young Hanyu.
    I haven't seen any, either. Afraid no vid clip unfortunately...

I have been having a small wish in my heart. Daisuke at least finishes 5th at Sochi, so that he gets to skate in the Gala, but with telling nobody (including Utako sensei) which music he will skate to. Then starts his skating to Warsaw Concerto which contains some of original choreos done by Utako sensei, to surprise everyone. (Hey! Kenji, I need you to help Dai to prepare for that secretly without getting caught by Utako sensei's attention!)

btw, I won't complain his pacement be higher than 5th place or if it's OGM of course.
    Last edited by deedee1; 05-27-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    For the news of Dai working with Nichol next season... I'm semi-excited about it. It will probably give him huge PCS. It might too give him programms I don't really find enjoyable. Nichol is capable of creating absolute beauty, no doubt, but she can create pretty big messes too. I guess I'll just don't think too much about it and just wait what will come out of it. This is Dai, he'll be able to skate to and sell everything any choreographer gives him
    I thank you a lot for your kind words, too, Li'Kitsu!

I think your thought pretty much summs up general feelings of 'Dai'-hard fans and his 'aunties' here on this.
    Especially this part:
    "This is Dai, he'll be able to skate to and sell everything any choreographer gives him"

Looking far back upon the days young Dai appeared smaller, more fragile and less confident, some older fans of Dai also say: "Wow, the way this news broke out (thru tipping off by some anonymous ), proves what a bigwig our boy has become of himself!"

Page 18 of 199 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 118 ... LastLast