Daisuke Takahashi | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^^Thanks deedee. Poor Dai the disappointed on his face after his FS is something we rarely see now from Dai and the audience hardly clapped for him. He was happier in the KC when he saw his marks. What a difference practice, practice, practice, sheer determination and a few years makes.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
How cute! A 15yo Dai. The arena is just empty. And now, 11 years later, you have to literally fight for fs tickets in Japan, JN including. Dai grew up, the audience got bigger too.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Dai's LP choreographer is Shae-Lynn Bourne (source: Sankei Express & Dai fan forum). :think:

Earlier it was announced that Nanami Abe will choreo his SP.

Miyamoto, as usual, will make his EX.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Dai's LP choreographer is Shae-Lynn Bourne (source: Sankei Express & Dai fan forum). :think:

Earlier it was announced that Nanami Abe will choreo his SP.

Miyamoto, as usual, will make his EX.

Great generous and risk taking choice to pick no name choreographer Nanami Abe for his SP. Give her a chance to work with the best and get her name out there for future work. My goodness, wouldn't it be ironic if Dai's SP beat Hanyu's 'world class' choreographed SP? LOL... Japanese Nationals just got a lot more exciting.

emdee

Final Flight
I would be surprised if Dai's did not beat Hanyu's.
Dai is an experienced older competitor who knows how to quiet his nerves. Hanyu will be the nervous younger competitor who has the weight of high expectations on his back.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Dai's SP to "rockabilly" has piqued my curiosity quite a bit. I am trying to envision Dai skating to this genre and a lot of different styles of interpretation comes to mind.
I hope he debuts his SP at FOI so we can all get a looksee.

I know that years ago there was a Japanese country singer named Eddie Fukano. Maybe there's a group of people in Japan who revere country and rockabilly, and so there's a lot of exposure to it. Either way, good for Dai for stretching his boundaries.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I would be surprised if Dai's did not beat Hanyu's.
Dai is an experienced older competitor who knows how to quiet his nerves. Hanyu will be the nervous younger competitor who has the weight of high expectations on his back.

If Dai did beat Hanyu it would be a huge morale boosting for him, and a potential morale blow to team Hanyu, considering Nanami Abe was Hanyu's coach and choreographer for many years and did practically all his programs (except Romeo and Juliet?) until this year he left her for Orser. She seems to have been criticized before for not able to provide him with the training or programs worthy of a 'world class' figure skater. In the end Dai chose to stay and work with the rejected coach/choreographer of his competitor on his SP. He might not intend on the psychological warfare, but it could nevertheless be a nice bonus to go with her instead of a big name choreographer like Hanyu has done with the full backing of JSF.

This year Hanyu is no longer the underdog, Daisuke has just adapted the underdog status... wheeee.... let the competition begin!

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:think: I'm wondering what exactly "rockabilly" means?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockabilly

Elvis was referred to as rockabilly back in the day

So was Bill Haley's original rock song, Rock Around The Clock (which I could definitely see Dai rocking out to).

Also Johnny Cash is rockabilly, as is Jerry Lee Lewis (Great Balls of Fire/Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On).

The article lists the following as 1960's rockabillies:

Sha Na Na, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Don McLean, Linda Ronstadt and the Everly Brothers

There's a lot of good music in the rockabilly playbook, so I can't wait to hear which artists & pieces Dai picked.

let`s talk

Match Penalty

deedee1

Record Breaker
I hope he debuts his SP at FOI so we can all get a looksee.

Yes, Dai says so in the Sankei Express article. :)
Also he describes his SP as 'an incredibly hard program to skate to, and the music 60's rockabilly music is the kind of genre I never skated before.'

Sounds so interesting! I can't wait, either, for some reports from those who will go to Friends on Ice this weekend. :cool:
And Let's talk, you are definitely going, right? Many many thanks in advance from me! :biggrin:

I am not particularly and/or crazily in love with this music choice maybe, but I am really looking forward to what Nanami sensei can bring the best out of Dai with this program. Because I have always respected and appreciated her for what she has done for the sake of Japanese figure skating all these years. To those who knows her only as Yuzuru's coach, Nanami sensei has been one of the VERY FEW professional choreographers who could produce, say, 50 competitive programs a year for many years before Kenji Miyamoto. She has helped so many Japanese skaters, both young and veteran, who just could not afford $$$ and time to go abroad and work with world famous choreographers before this sport has become huge in Japan. :yes:

Last edited:
:think: I'm wondering what exactly "rockabilly" means?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockabilly

Elvis was referred to as rockabilly back in the day

So was Bill Haley's original rock song, Rock Around The Clock (which I could definitely see Dai rocking out to).

Also Johnny Cash is rockabilly, as is Jerry Lee Lewis (Great Balls of Fire/Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On).

The article lists the following as 1960's rockabillies:

Sha Na Na, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Don McLean, Linda Ronstadt and the Everly Brothers

There's a lot of good music in the rockabilly playbook, so I can't wait to hear which artists & pieces Dai picked.

I'd definitely put the Everly Brothers, early Elvis, and Jerry Lee Lewis on the list, but I can't see Ronstadt on there, and the little I know of Sha Na Na wouldn't lead me to identify them as rockabilly. I go by feel, not precision of understanding (not being a pop music expert), so I could be all sorts of wrong--but it seems to me that rockabilly has an underpinning of country music, specifically from the Southeast, for example Tennessee. It's more rural than urban, of course (Motown being a great example of urban music), with a very simple beat and structure but not as much of a narrative or emotional quality as pure country. It's possible that Brenda Lee was rockabilly, and certainly Carl Perkins was (the original singer of "Blue Suede Shoes"). Johnny Cash? Maybe in the beginning.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
And Let's talk, you are definitely going, right? Many many thanks in advance from me!
I am not available on Friday show, as well as on Saturday morning one. And I'll defintely be late for Saturday evening. But I'll move my butt out of bed for Sunday morning show and stay for the afternoon one. It's not just Dai only, it's gonna be the last show session for me this summer. And I am also curious how Kulik and Slutskaya are doing. You have no idea what it took to hunt for the tickets! No other show/event was that difficult to get in. The cash cow "Dai" pushed the show on the toppest scale possible. Thanks god it's done. Lucky me that people on Dai fan forum had more time to stalk the internet and "navigate" me where to go. Thanks, guys! Not all tickets are the one where I like to sit. Of course the Shin-Yokohama skate-center is very small and cosy, so all is right in front of your nose. Still I do like the first row(s). Which means I hope my charming broker will show up and serve me well. I LOVE ticket brokers! :mad: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I am happy with Dai choice of Abe and such a unique music pick. Look what a sweet discussion it provoked among more mature folks ;). I am sure a lot will be pleased with his original performance. Can't say the same about Bourne. My favourites for Dai are still Daisquale and Miyamoto. Well, will see.