Daisuke Takahashi | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi

deedee1

Record Breaker
Some rough translations from a Japanese magazine for you before the new season starts. :)

-------------------------
Source: Cutting Edge 2012 Plus, Men's figure skating Team Japan fan book
Published: 27 July, 2012
Re: Coach's intervew; Utako Nagamitsu talks about Daisuke Takahashi
-------------------------
<1>

"Going into the Worlds in Nice I was worried about his skating boots, to tell the truth. The boots he prepared for the Worlds did not skate as good/smooth as the ones he previously had put on. I was not sure if he would be all right with those boots; how they would affect his skating itself and quads. Last season and the season before that, he could not land any quads unless the conditions; both physical and mental, as well as his boots conditions, were in his absolute best, you know."

"Men's free skate was the one such exciting competition we haven't had for a while! And Daisuke did land the quad with that not-the-best-conditioned boots in the middle of such nerve-wrecking situation. Good for him, and how lucky he was for he did not give up skating, I would say! (laugh) He could experience such an exciting and great battle with these world's top skaters, because he did not give up competitive skating. He is one of the most fortunate men in the world, isn't he?"
"He starts landing quads regardless of boots condition, finally...But since he can include only 1 quad in a program, our team was ready to take this competition as one of, say, precious try-and-error opportunities. So, this time we aimed for the second place and he did. Another solid step up for him and I am glad for that."

"To my eyes he has showed a remarkable improvement as the season progressed so far, thanks to his devotion to skating and lots of hard work. He tried to push himself to the limit, so much more than I anticipated or expected. What I did was simply to follow him from behind, while paying attention to his physical conditions. This was something he had never done before; I never saw such Daisuke before. His attitude toward skating has risen to another level at this point in his career. He used his frustrations and dissapointments from last season [=finishing 5th in Moscow Worlds, skating thru with the broken boots upon the opening quad in his Free skate] as his motivation. He proved once again that he can regroup himself and recover/rebound well next season when he has rather bad season before. He always is that kind of skater throughout his career."

"We have witnessed Dai's such hard work going into this year's Worlds. I sincerely hoped he would be rewarded with some good results in Nice for his efforts. Final placements, however, are not always what matters the most. In this regard, what I wished for him was he will have a good performance which he can get satisfied with. And he did. But he made some costly mistakes to lose to Patrick in the end. Both are good for him. I believe so. For Daisuke and me, this probably should be an indication: to go further and further, until we can go to the furthest! (laugh) He checked the video and watched his free skate after the competition. He, too, admitted he didnot skate his best yet. I feel the same. While it was unfortunate for him about his boots condition, it's true that he needs to demonstrate his skating to the same degree as Patrick's regardless of conditions of his skating boots."

"Looking at other boys, I would say Men's descipline in particular has been great this year! Kevin Van Der Perren, Brian Joubert, Jeremy Abbott...I am glad to see these veteran skaters did really great. I look forward to their another improvements and achievements in the new season against their age. Not only skaters. Taking a look to other sports, we have a veteran such as Kosuke Kitajima who has leaded world's swinning scene for so long. These top atheletes give us courage to go on and to go further. Young athelets, too. Look at Yuzuru Hanyu, what a tremendous accomplishment he has made at this Worlds! Yuzuru is such a matured boy for and also a great athlete for his age, remembering my boy Daisuke at Yuzuru's age. (laugh) Daisuke surely needs to work hard in order not to lose to these youngsters."

(cont'd)

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
<2>
"The new season soon begins. Then, only one more season left for him [before he retires]...It robably goes fast for all of us, I guess. Daisuke sees his goal. We soon are going into another Olympic season.
As for his new programs...well, I want him to skate to different music from this past season. To my great disappointment, there will be only four programs for him: he has two seasons to go, meaning two pairs of SP and Free. Only four more programs left for him to skate, and four more progrmas for us to get to see him skate...gives me a mixed feeling...but I also look forward to it. I'd like to make him challenge with complete different styles he never tried before. We need to give a lot of thoughts to his programs within the team."

"One more thing; the need to add the second quad in the free, which he also admits in order to win competitions. Not olnly adding the second quad toe, I want him try another quad. He landed quad flip during six minutes warm up at NHK Trophy, but he actually had to concentrate on landing quad toe the whole season, and had no time to practice another quad. If he can land another one, it surely gives him confidence boost, so good for him to challenge, I think. In order to do so, he needs its hardware; to build the physical strength enough to practice quads. He started ballet exercises last year; it was something he avoided in his whole career. He wants to do anything he can in order to improve himself to be better and stronger. I can see his determination. If he continues what he does now, he can get more strength, better postures and more smooth body movements. Am looking forward to seeing that beside him."
"He is just that motivated these days. My job is to prepare the place and time available for him. To practice in a rink abroad is a good option, too. We are in the middle of finalizing plans. I would like to do whatever I can to help him towards Sochi of course."

(cont'd)

Great work, Deedee! Thanks so much. I understand his coach's mixed feelings on realizing that there are only four more programs to see him skate. I'm so glad Daisuke is pushing forward, still trying to improve. He will be our joy to watch whatever the outcome in terms of rankings this season and the next.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
At the close test skate in Novogorsk that is curently taking place in Moscow region people who contacted Morozov reported that Dai will be in Moscow from Sep 4th. I wonder when he is going to choreo his new FS with Bourne. During the nearest show FOI? Ee.. :confused: www.liveinternet.ru/users/vellena/post232886612/

Since Bourne will be in FOI she will probably stay a few extra days in Japan to work with Dai on his FS. I wonder if she is traveling with her baby?

deedee1

Record Breaker
<3>
"There must be lots of things still to work on for Daisuke, I think. However, if he can continue training the way he did this past season, I am sure that he would never fall into a slump, make repeated mistakes, or say, a complete meltdown. What's needed now is to pull up the foundation of his skating to the next level; such as physical condtitions, training bases, and team unity. Daisuke and I have been to 2 Olympics, many thanks tou our federation. These experiences at Torino and Vancouver surely are our assets and would help us as our advantages. What's we need to do next is to help Daisuke, whatever they are, so that he can feel confident on everything about his skating. That's must be very important as we are going into the pre-Olympic season."

(end)

deedee1

Record Breaker
But I'll move my butt out of bed for Sunday morning show and stay for the afternoon one.

:yay::yay: Everyone's looking forward to hearing from you!!! :yes: And good luck to you with your 'charming' ticket broker. ;)

I guess 'Dear Friends' (a rehearsal prior to actual FOI shows from Friday evening) must have finished by now...so curious to know the actual name of rockabilly music and of course how it looks like as a competitive program. Am waiting and waiting for the news and/or someone's twitter to show up on the internet. :)

demarinis5

Record Breaker
^Thanks ostille17.

I love The Stroll. This SP music is going to be a lot of fun for Dai and his fans.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Here is a short news clip on the rehearsal Thurday night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHa2gEz06-0

I would like to see the program as a whole first, before commenting any on his new SP. :popcorn:
I would love, however, him to change his costume for sure, though. :p
(Akiko looks so cool in black costume, btw! :rock:)

demarinis5

Record Breaker
Thanks deedee for the video clip. I like Dai's costume. You know Dai is very theatric, we not only get to see great skating from Dai but a little bit of theater to, and he is dressing the part. Country & Western shirt (albeit a bit over the top but this is Dai) with black trousers is tame compared to some of Dai's previous outlandish costumes. lol

let`s talk

Match Penalty
From blogs and twitter: at FOI Miki, Dai and Shizuka showed a group "Swan" number, which was a huge and fun surprise for everyone. Dai fell from a quad. About his new SP- only "kakkkkoiiii" comment and nothing more useful. Kozuka challenged a quad too plus 3A and 3L. Tomorrow evening I'll be there (come late but not that late) and update you.

Here they are at master class for kids :):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1ENAgjpd9s

deedee1

Record Breaker

Thanks a lot, ostile!
This version sounds better (=more 'skatable', you know) than the one I previously found on TY.

From blogs and twitter: at FOI Miki, Dai and Shizuka showed a group "Swan" number, which was a huge and fun surprise for everyone. Dai fell from a quad. About his new SP- only "kakkkkoiiii" comment and nothing more useful. Kozuka challenged a quad too plus 3A and 3L. Tomorrow evening I'll be there (come late but not that late) and update you.

:hb: to the group 'Swan' number. And we :love: you, Let's talk!