Daisuke Takahashi | Page 205 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi

KiraraChin

Medalist
Big interview/article with Dai-chan published today! It seems to be mostly about Hyoen: Daisuke Takahashi reflects on his first love scene: 'It's something I can express because it's me now'

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Big interview/article with Dai-chan published today! It seems to be mostly about Hyoen: Daisuke Takahashi reflects on his first love scene: 'It's something I can express because it's me now'

Thank you, Kirara - that's a nice interview! :giggle:

Dai has done so many recently that it was impossible to post them all, and of course many of them covered similar topics (there was a slew of interviews on "Kassouya" alone). This is the first "proper" interview on the new "Hyoen" production, so there are a few new insights from this one, even if it's still early stages and he can't/isn't allowed to reveal much yet and this is more a retrospective on the past "Hyoen" productions.

There's also a part one, by the way:

https://gendai.media/articles/-/127174

Machine translation of part 1:
Daisuke Takahashi talks about the major influences on his "turning point in life”

Interview with Daisuke Takahashi, Part 1

Akiko Tanaka

In the spring of 2024, Daisuke Takahashi celebrated his 30th anniversary since he started skating. There is something that has contributed deeply to the turning point of his skating life.

That is Daisuke Takahashi's life's work, the comprehensive on-ice entertainment "Hyoen”.

The third production in the popular series, the first of which was staged in 2017 and the second in 2019, will return this June for the first time in five years as "Hyoen 2024 - The miracle of the cross". What kind of presence does "Hyoen" have for Mr. Takahashi? Akiko Tanaka, a writer who has seen both productions and written reports on them, interviewed Mr. Takahashi again.

In the first part of this interview, we ask Takahashi about the importance of "Hyoen" for him.

Deeply involved in his return to active duty and his switch to ice dance

This year marks Daisuke Takahashi's 30th anniversary since he started skating. Among the many vicissitudes of his skating career, his return to active duty in 2018 at the age of 32 and his switch to ice dancing at the age of 33 took the world by surprise. Deeply involved in this turning point was Takahashi's life's work, "Hyoen”, Takahashi says.

After retiring in 2014, he returned to active competition in 2018, winning a silver medal at the All-Japan Championships held in December.

“The first Kabuki-figure skating fusion, "Hyoen 2017- Basara” was timed to coincide with my first retirement. At the time, I was doing various types of work while worrying about my future life, and my appearance in "Hyoen" was a great inspiration. This appearance strengthened my determination to live my life as a performer with skating at the core, and was one of the major factors in my return to active duty in 2018.

Another turning point was "Hyoen 2019 – Like the moonlight," which was based on the theme of the Tale of Genji. Kana Muramoto, who had invited me to ice dance, was also a performer in the show, so we tried out for ice dance together at a training camp, and I became interested. Furthermore, at the time I could not dance with a partner, so I felt that if I wanted to live as a performer, I needed to be able to dance with a partner, and Hyoen at that time strengthened my feeling, and I decided to switch. So, even though it was a coincidence, "Hyoen" was involved in a major turning point in my life.”

A place where "connections" were made with people from different industries

“Hyoen" is a comprehensive entertainment on ice in which Japanese culture and figure skating are fused and different types of performers perform with each other. He has taken on a rare challenge. It has a deep connection with his competitive life in figure skating, but what does this entertainment itself mean to Daisuke Takahashi?

Daisuke Takahashi: "For me, “Hyoen” is something that always gives me a chance to try something new. I have been able to try things other than skating, such as sword fighting, acting, Japanese dance, and singing. Above all, it is a great opportunity for me to meet people from different industries that I would not normally have the chance to meet. Standing on the same stage, we have a chance to absorb various things, and these connections lead us beyond public and private life. The same is true of my encounter with Yuma Suzuki, whom I asked to choreograph the pieces for "Kassouya", which I directed in its entirety this time. You never know where things will lead, and this is an opportunity for me to make very valuable connections.

“Kassouya" is a new type of ice show fully directed by Daisuke Takahashi, which was held in February 2024.

The kanji "en" in "Hyoen" also means "edge”. As the name implies, different kinds of entertainment talents gather and stimulate each other to create a single stage on ice, thereby expanding the "bond" that binds them together.

The first production was a "Fusion with Kabuki"

2017's "Hyoen - Basara" was a fusion with Kabuki. Koshiro Matsumoto (then Somegoro Ichikawa) played the evil Kabuki character Danjo Niki, and Mr. Takahashi played Yoshitsune Minamoto as a symbol of goodness to counter him. What did Mr. Takahashi think at first when he heard about the fusion of Kabuki and figure skating?

“I couldn't imagine what it would be like at all. But Kabuki is a traditional Japanese art form. Figure skating was born in the West and also has a long history. I thought that the fusion of such traditional cultures from the East and West would open up a lot of entertainment possibilities.

The actual production was speedy and powerful, with Kabuki actors performing with flair, as well as hair-swinging, rokkata, sword fighting and Kabuki props fused with the skating on the ice. The novelty of this world made me discover anew how amazing Kabuki is, and at the same time, I was able to reconfirm the glamour and speed of figure skating, as well as the performance that conveys feelings even without dialogue.

I think the characteristic of figure skating is speed. Nothing can move that fast on stage, so when it is combined with other types of entertainment, I feel that there are still new possibilities for figure skating shows. When it comes to sword fighting, I've loved pretending to play chanbara since I was a child, so it was exciting and thrilling to perform with a sword, and I really enjoyed it. The scene in the play where I took off my skates and danced the Japanese dance solo was extremely difficult, so that part was more exhausting.”

This is the scene in which Takahashi's character, Minamoto no Yoshitsune, disguises himself as a prostitute named "Okuni" and enters the den of evil led by Matsumoto Koshiro/Somegoro Ichikawa. In the presence of a cast of distinguished Kabuki actors, Takahashi performed a hip-hop Japanese dance on a carpet on the ice, without skates. At the beginning of this scene, when a man wearing a mask appeared and began to dance without skates, I thought, "There is a wonderful young man in the Kabuki world," but halfway through the dance, I recognized him as Mr. Takahashi because of his indescribable nuance and the heat in the air.

Challenges in the skate-less territory

Mr. Takahashi's dance, accented with hand choreography to the sounds of nagauta and tsuzumi drums, sent the audience into a frenzy. This "dance of Okuni," which incorporated the hand choreography of Tokyo Gegegay and fused it with the nimai dance choreographed by Kikunojo Onoue, is still talked about among fans today.

“That was the climax of my first performance in Hyoen. If I was wearing skates, I would be in my own territory, but I was dancing the Nichimai dance in front of Kabuki actors without shoes on. What on earth would I show in that situation? I am not a professional dancer. Moreover, the nichimai dance is so deep that it was very difficult. I think all dances are deep, but it was really difficult for me to show a unique sense of slipperiness and charm without moving too much.

Kikunojo taught me gently, and I tried to copy or steal his gestures as much as possible, but I had to give my own nuance in the process. Tokyo Gegegay's hand choreography was also difficult, and it really stimulated me as a performer. I also learned a lot from watching Kabuki actors practice together late at night at the skating rink, and from there I was able to see up close how they would adjust their dances for the performance.”

This ice show appearance was a major factor in his decision to live his life as a performer with skating as his main focus.

In the second part of the interview, "Daisuke Takahashi looks back on his first love scene: 'What I can express because of who I am now'", he talks about his challenges in singing and acting, the episode in 2019 when he played Genji in "Hyoen – Like the moonlight", and this June, after a five-year absence, his performance in "Hyoen – The miracle of the cross", based on Kenji Miyazawa's "Night on the Galactic Railroad".

https://gendai.media/articles/-/127175

Machine translation of part 2:

Daisuke Takahashi looks back on his first love scene: "It's something I can express because it's who I am now.”

Interview with Daisuke Takahashi, Part 2

Akiko Tanaka

The first production was staged in 2017 and the second in 2019, and "Hyoen," which continues to have a significant impact on the skating career of its lead actor, Daisuke Takahashi, will return for the first time in five years. Akiko Tanaka, who has attended the past two productions, interviewed the actor about his memories of the past performances and his feelings toward "Hyoen 2024" which will open on June 8.

In the first part, we asked him in detail why "Hyoen" became a turning point in his life. In the second part, we asked him about his experience of coming out of his shell and his new work.

Red to the ears during the reading of the love scene

Daisuke Takahashi's second appearance in Hyoen "Like the moonlight" in which he played the role of Hikaru Genji, was staged in 2019, the year after Takahashi returned to singles active duty. The production was directed by Amon Miyamoto, who is also directing the latest production, which will be performed at Yokohama Arena starting June 8, 2024. Mr. Takahashi took on the challenge of performing in the play there, and to his surprise, he had to perform both a love scene and a song. During a close-up of the rehearsal, a scene was broadcast during the reading of the play in which Takahashi read the lines of a love scene with Ayaka Hirahara, who played Fujitsubo, and he was seen reading the lines with his ears bright red.

“I was really embarrassed at the time. I was not yet properly prepared for the play, and it was not something I could do suddenly. Skating is a wordless performance, so I was perplexed about acting with words. On top of that, you are required to perform facial expressions. I didn't know how my voice was going to sound, and I realized how difficult acting could be.

Moreover, I had to perform a solo song for the first time, and when I learned about it, I thought, "What? Am I allowed to sing?” I was very conflicted. I had to do it as the lead, but I had never done it before. I had to do it with no time, so I practiced, but I knew it was not a good idea under the circumstances. I could't lose my shyness and I couldn't be confident because I couldn't act or sing, but I knew I had to take the plunge. It was very difficult for me to switch between these feelings.

During the rehearsal camp, there was a moment when Mr. Miyamoto gathered everyone together and gave them a few words of advice.

I can't remember exactly what he said, but I was surprised when he told us that he was going to give us all a good talking-to. It was a week into the camp and I was still a bit shy. He was talking to all of us as if it was everyone's problem, but I felt as if he was talking about me, and it really hit home. I felt that I had to change myself, and in fact, I did change from there. Amon-san is really good at motivating me. When he needs to tighten up, he does so, and when he sees my performance, he asks me for more and more, so I feel like I have to do it for Amon-san.

With Amon-san's guidance, I was able to break out of my shell and the performance was a success. If you keep up, the results will follow. It was a truly wonderful experience to be able to feel that way.”

The pressure of being the leading actor in a cast of splendid actors

In "Hyoen – Like the Moonlight" he performed with singer Ayaka Hirahara, former top Takarazuka actress Reon Yuzuki, and actors Seiji Fukushi and Kazuki Namioka, all of whom are senior actors in the theater.

“The actors I co-starred with each had their own strong individuality and were amazing. Their singing gave me goosebumps, and they had an aura that I couldn't help but look at. I was overwhelmed by them, but as the lead actor, I had to compete with them. That is a difficult thing to do, isn't it? If I let that affect me, I wouldn’t have been able to move forward, so I had no choice but to do what I could do! The choices and evaluations are not made by you but by the people around you, and if they end up saying, after the play is over, that I was not good enough, there will be no next time.”

After making that decision, he was able to pull everyone together as the chairperson, not only with his skating, but also with his “incredible'' performance. I wondered how the love scene with Ms. Hirahara, who played the role of Fujitsubo, the mother-in-law, and the performance with Stéphane Lambiel, the skater who played Suzaku, the rival of Hikaru Genji and who is now Shoma Uno's coach, went.

“When I think about it now, it wasn’t really a love scene (lol). At the time, that was the best I could do, though. The scenes with Suzaku, played by Stéphane, and things like the rivalry I was actually able to do them as they were, rather than just acting. Before Amon-san cast the role, he asked me who my rival was from my active days and I answered, “Stéphane”. So it seems that Stéphane was cast as the rival in the play.

I don't know how Stéphane feels about it, but for myself, Stéphane is someone I admire and want to win against even though I think I may not be able to win. It was close to the feelings that Hikaru Genji had for Suzaku no Kimi, so it was easy for me to relate to those feelings. However, there was a lot of pressure because the performance involved a lot of things other than skating, which is my territory, and I think I unknowingly wore myself out even more than usual.”

From practice to the actual performance, Takahashi said that what he felt was the kindness and effort of his co-stars.

When Mr. Takahashi was unable to read the script properly because he turned bright red, as mentioned above, they sympathized with the lead actor, saying, "I was like that at first," and turning kind eyes on him.

He also said, "Everyone had been so supportive of me since the rehearsals, and they gave me guidance. They were really wonderful people, and they worked very hard despite their busy skating practice schedule. In fact, for almost all first-time skaters, practicing skating is a tough task. But everyone really worked hard. I realized that people who go to the top of any world are sincere and have great human qualities. In other words, I realized that such people are the ones who can make it to the top.”

The third production is inspired by Kenji Miyazawa's "Night on the Galactic Railroad”

Five years have passed since then. In the third production, “Hyoen 2024 – The miracle of the cross”, which will begin on June 8 this year, Takahashi will re-team with Amon Miyamoto, who led him to a new challenge in the previous work. The new production is based on Kenji Miyazawa's ``Night on the Galactic Railway,'' and is a story of the rebirth of the soul that transcends time, set in the real and galactic worlds. Mr. Takahashi plays the lead role of “Kakeru”.

“Of course, I am looking forward to working with Amon-san again, but I'm actually more nervous about it. I have a strong desire to show that I've grown after five years, but what if people think I haven't grown as much as I did last time? Last time I started in a situation where I didn't know what was going on and I started to grow, but this time I'm going to build on that result, so I'm under a lot of pressure. I want to prepare in my own way without thinking about anything. I'm sure a lot of things will happen once the rehearsals begin.This time, the motif is "Night on the Galaxy Express," but up until now Hyoen has been doing historical works, so I wonder if it will be modern this time. I've never acted like that before, so I still can't imagine how my acting will turn out.''

“I was sorry to hear of Kyoko Domoto's sudden passing, it still doesn't sink in."

Speaking of "Hyoen", the history and the stylistic beauty of traditional Japanese costumes have been highlights of the show so far, but what will it be like this time? It is very sad to hear of the sudden death last year of Kyoko Domoto, a stage costume designer who made the wonderful costumes for the first and second productions of "Hyoen”.

“I was so sorry to hear about Ms. Domoto, and I still don't really feel it yet. She made truly wonderful costumes, and I wish she could have made more. Costumes are a kind of battle uniform, and in my case, wearing a great costume makes me feel even better. In that sense, this time, too, they look really cool. I heard that the people in charge of the costumes have thought of various ways to make the costumes look good because skating is done at high speed on ice. I think the audience will enjoy the costumes again.”

Daisuke Takahashi sings with [musical artist] Yuzu!

For the third “Hyoen”, "Yuzu" will appear in all performances as special guest artists and also sing the theme song. And the performers will sing their traditional songs in the play.

“Yuzu-san is my youth, and I have been singing songs like ``Kakei no Kakehashi'' (Bridge of Glory) since my school days, and they are truly wonderful artists. At the concert, people of all ages came to listen to them, and they sang with all their might the whole time, which was really moving. At first, I had a hard time connecting Yuzu and a skating show. But I am really looking forward to seeing how their songs will be used in the show, as they will be sung by the musical actors. It will be my pleasure to hear them being sung during rehearsals, during the show, and behind the scenes.”

Takahashi has recently expressed his desire to perform in musicals, and in this production of "Hyoen" many musical actors will appear, and Takahashi himself will sing in many scenes.

"I really like to see musicals on stage, but as for my own singing, even though I have sung in previous productions of the "Hyoen" series, I am basically an amateur, so I am half excited and half nervous to be singing among the professionals. Ryunosuke Onoda, who plays my childhood friend Tokio in the play, is a wonderful singer, but he's also a very kind person. Even though I'm older than him, he just accepted me. In fact, I think it's more like I'm being spoiled by him."

Many skaters have been selected from "Kassouya”.

The main skaters are Shizuka Arakawa and Kana Muramoto, who have appeared in the "Hyoen" series in the past, and new members Kazuki Tomono and Koshiro Shimada, who have joined the cast.

“Kana will be appearing in her first full-fledged role in "Hyoen" and I am looking forward to seeing her in a new and different light from her ice dancing. Ms. Arakawa has an atmosphere and charm that only she can bring out. I know this may come as a surprise to you, but in the past, she played a very villainous role in "Hyoen" and it suited her well. It is rare among skaters to have that kind of presence. I don't know yet what kind of role she will play this time, but I am sure she will show us another unique presence.

I think Koshiro really likes to act. He can probably do many things better than I can. I am sure he was very happy to hear about the opportunity to appear in the ice show, because he must have been disappointed that he could not perform in “Kassouya” due to his health condition. Kazuki can do many things better than I can, and I think he is suited for acting. I don't know at what stage they both caught Amon's attention, but it will be the first time for both of them to have lines on the ice, and they will be doing something completely different from what they normally do, so I think it will definitely benefit them in the future.

The skaters were also auditioned for this year's "Hyoen," and a number of young ensemble skaters who had been selected for the ice entertainment "Kassouya", which was fully directed by Daisuke Takahashi in February, took up the challenge and were selected.

The audition was also posted by Amon Miyamoto on his SNS.

“I was not involved in the audition process at all, as I am one of the performers in "Hyoen”. So I have no idea if they really caught his eye through "Kassouya" or what kind of evaluation they got through the audition. But I can say that it is a big plus for them to participate in this kind of entertainment. It is a valuable experience for them to know a new side of themselves, different from the one in "Kassouya" and it is an accumulation. It makes me happy. It's great that the skaters who participated in "Kassouya" have another opportunity to take on new challenges."

“Hyoen” is inspired by his experience with ice dance and "Kassouya”

Having taken over the full production of "Kassouya" Takahashi himself will be able to see the production of Amon Miyamoto differently this time than he did last time. He also switched to ice dancing after the second production in 2019, so he will be able to use that experience this time.

“No, I'm still in the stage of learning by doing, even though I've directed (laughs). But I do have a desire to learn, so my perspective on Amon-san and directing may be different from last time.

I started ice dancing after the last performance, worked hard on it, and spent three seasons as an athlete. In terms of technique, there are still many things I don't understand yet. But there are “strengths” that I have challenged. Knowing how to skate with a partner is my strength now, and I can do it with confidence, so I still think that has a positive impact. In this work, the skaters are much younger than the skaters in the original "Hyoen". As the years have passed, I have changed as well, and there are many new members, so the third “Hyoen'' will start with a different feeling than before.''

Lastly, we asked him to share his enthusiasm for "Hyoen" this time.

“The full picture of "Hyoen 2024 – Miracle of the Cross" will be revealed only after the rehearsal camp in May, so I myself still have to lift the lid to find out what it is all about. However, considering the past "Hyoen" productions, I am convinced that it will be interesting, and that we must make it interesting, because the chemical reaction of different types of entertainment performers giving their all is amazing.

Thanks to your support, I have been very busy since my retirement in 2023, and I am very fulfilled. I would like to take on various challenges while I can and show you a new Daisuke Takahashi. First of all, I'm going to give my all to “Hyoen 2024 – Miracle of the Cross" and I'm really excited to see what kind of me I'll be able to meet in the future.”

Hyoen 2024 – The miracle of the cross

Yokohama Arena
June 8, 9, 10, 11
Shows start at 16:00

Synopsis: I want to meet you again, in this corner of the galaxy
This is a comprehensive entertainment on ice inspired by Kenji Miyazawa's "Night on the Galactic Railroad”. Set in the world of reality and the galaxy, it is a story of soul rebirth beyond the eternal separation of two childhood friends.

Director: Amon Miyamoto Screenplay: Riko Sakaguchi
Starring: Daisuke Takahashi
Theme Song & Song in the play: Yuzu
Cast: Daisuke Takahashi, Ryunosuke Onoda, Shizuka Arakawa, Masahiro Ehara, Kana Muramoto, Kazuki Tomono, Koshiro Shimada, Kai Hasegawa, Elianna, Marie, Others

https://hyoen.jp

Two quotes I'd like to highlight...

...about Hyoen 2019:

“[...] The scenes with Suzaku, played by Stéphane, and things like the rivalry I was actually able to do them as they were, rather than just acting. Before Amon-san cast the role, he asked me who my rival was from my active days and I answered, “Stéphane”. So it seems that Stéphane was cast as the rival in the play.

I don't know how Stéphane feels about it, but for myself, Stéphane is someone I admire and want to win against even though I think I may not be able to win. It was close to the feelings that Hikaru Genji had for Suzaku no Kimi, so it was easy for me to relate to those feelings. [...]”

...and about the new production:

Takahashi has recently expressed his desire to perform in musicals, and in this production of "Hyoen" many musical actors will appear, and Takahashi himself will sing in many scenes.

"I really like to see musicals on stage, but as for my own singing, even though I have sung in previous productions of the "Hyoen" series, I am basically an amateur, so I am half excited and half nervous to be singing among the professionals. Ryunosuke Onoda, who plays my childhood friend Tokio in the play, is a wonderful singer, but he's also a very kind person. Even though I'm older than him, he just accepted me. In fact, I think it's more like I'm being spoiled by him."

NTV started promoting Hyoen 2024 with the broadcast of a sneak peek at the preparations and a talk between Dai and Ryunosuke Onoda, who will play the two leads, Kakeru and Tokio.

This promo video contains brief clips of the promo photo shoot, part of the interview with Dai (which was already posted via the Hyoen twitter account), a glimpse at Ryunosuke’s and Ehara’s on-ice training and at Dai’s voice training and a snippet of the Dai x Ryunosuke talk:

This video, which was shown on "Night baguette", contains a different part of the Dai x Ryunosuke talk (starting 2 minutes in):

Director Amon Miyamoto reposted this picture of him posing with the KanaDai poster outside the Saitama Super Arena when he visited Worlds 2023 to reveal that the concept for the new Hyoen production was already in the developmental stage one year ago 😲:

https://twitter.com/amonmiyamoto/status/1772533314785554592

___________________________​

Last edited:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Sorry, been slacking with the updates again (there’s just way too much happening all the time). 😭

______________​

On March 16th + 17th Dai attended Kanako’s “classical figure skating concert” as a special talkshow guest. Since Kanako’s wedding apparently took place shortly before, the Wedding March was played for her on both days. On the 17th Dai took over conducting duties. :giggle:

On both days too, the orchestra and audience joined forces to play and sing “Happy Birthday” (conducted by Kanako) for Dai-chan, whose birthday coincided with the event.

Kana, as well as her and Dai’s mutual friend Sayuri Sugiura, were in the audience.

Dai and Kanako with conductor Yuko Tanaka (middle), pianist Kaoruko Igarashi (left) and tenor Kazuma Kudo (right) + birthday cake for Dai-chan:

A couple more pictures on Kanako's insta account:

Report on World Figure Skating Web: https://worldfigureskating-web.jp/news/6778/

Event report and transcript of the after-concert talkshow with Yuko Tanaka, Kanako and Daisuke, which took place on the 17th: https://www.koransha.com/contents/5425/

Machine translated excerpt from the after-talkshow:

Murakami: So, what kind of music do you usually listen to?

Takahashi: All genres, from rock to jazz to classical... Since I started producing, I'm always searching for music in various genres, so I don't have a fixed genre. I change it according to my mood. I sometimes play classical music in the morning. It feels good.

Murakami Elegant!

Tanaka It doesn't suit you, or maybe it does. What about you, Kanako?

Murakami I like music that gets me excited, so I like songs by everyone - Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber, etc. I also listen to the soundtrack of Phantom of the Opera as I move around, and I also listen to classical music... I like classical music when I spend time in the sauna. What about you, Tanaka?

Tanaka: I don't usually listen to music anymore since I became a professional, I want to rest my ears. Before I became a professional, I loved R&B and soul, and I used to listen to Chaka Khan and Nirvana. I still listen to them when I drive. But, for example, when I'm at the dentist's office and classical music is playing and they say, 'Please relax', I can't do it. Even if there's a piano playing, I'm worried that the tempo might be too fast. I'm worried about it.

Murakami It's interesting. It's not often that we get to hear stories like this. Now for the next question. 'Do you go to musicals, plays or concerts? Please tell us about your favourite genres and what you enjoyed seeing.

Takahashi: I like the fusion of music, dance and singing, so I go to see musicals more often than straight plays, but I like all genres.

Murakami: Even after you retired, you went to see many different kinds of performances, didn't you?

Takahashi: I like it a lot, so I do go. I'm also directing, so I've started to look at things like lighting. I see how the composition is done, how the movement is good, and so on.

Murakami Has your perspective changed since your working days?

Takahashi: Yes, it has. Since I started producing ice shows, I've had to learn how to see things differently.

Tanaka: What about Kanako?

Murakami: I love it too. The Shiki Theatre Company has been nearby since I was a child.

Tanaka: It's in Sakae, Nagoya, isn't it? [Note: Yuko Tanaka is also from Nagoya, the same town as Kanako Murakami.]

Murakami: It seems that Midori Ito took ballet lessons in the Shiki Theatre Company, and through that connection I got to go and see it with Ms Machiko Yamada. Since then, I've loved the theatre. Even now, I still go and get my own tickets. Do you also see plays?

Tanaka: I love straight plays. I also like to watch dramas and films, and I like to imagine what the direction and script are like. Someday, I want to study acting.

Murakami: I see. Would you prefer to act in plays?

Tanaka Yes, I do. Also, there is a piece called “A Soldier's Tale” by Stravinsky, which is a piece with a lot of variations, but it is a very universal story with narration and pantomime. You should definitely listen to it!

Takahashi: I'll listen to it!

Tanaka Please listen to the version with the French narration first. I think it would be great to do it on ice skates. There's a play, there's a narrative, there's a pantomime. I'd like to direct it someday, and perform it myself, swinging as I go along (laughs).

Murakami: Amazing. Shall we skate? Let's have another collaboration.

Takahashi: I'd love to.

Murakami: I'd like to talk more, but there's already a sign saying 'the end'.

Tanaka: It says 'the end' in big letters (laughs).

Murakami I'm sorry to say goodbye, but this is the end of the after-talk. Thank you very much!

I didn’t know that Midori Ito took ballet lessons with the renowned Shiki Theatre Company (which Yuma Suzuki later used to be a member of) - that’s super interesting to me! 😲

__________________________​

Kanako and Dai went shopping together (as they do from time to time according to Kanako's ig stories) :biggrin::

Last edited:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Patrick Chan was interviewed by CBC’s Scott Russell covering his experience as an ambassador at Worlds and a reflection on his career. (As an aside: at one point the talk also briefly drifted towards the ever so popular “philosophical” question, if figure skating is art, a sport or both. :wink: I have to say I like/agree with Patrick’s point of view.) The reason why I’m bringing the interview here is that it’s lovely to see that Patrick to this day still speaks very fondly of his rivalry with Daisuke – citing it as his favourite rivalry due to Dai’s generosity and kindness on and off the ice as well as his unique style – and credits him for pushing him (Patrick) to up his game artistically 🥰:

https://youtu.be/Vyk_v-1LrEc?t=471

______________________​

I uploaded Dai’s Friends+α episode, which was broadcast on March 28:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pl11VN8GdsAnk7Vq20HqyPWlShydzSoY/view?usp=sharing

This is a fan impression / summary of the talk:

https://ameblo.jp/kai3suzu3/entry-12846579863.html

Main points:

• According to the fan Dai-chan was cheerful and chatty and he seemed to be full of “Yang” energy.

• They talked about the physical changes that come with age. Dai-chan's respect for Shizuka increases year by year.

• For skating boots, he currently uses ice dance boots and switches between singles/ice dance blades. The heels remain high only for ice dance. [I guess he has one pair of ice dance boots with high heels and ice dance blades and one pair of ice dance boots with a standard heel and freestyle blades.]

• About working with young skaters without ice show-experience for “Kassouya”: “Everyone was so passionate, that everyone lifted each other up,'' and they all were like “Okay, let's do our best together!'' Although it was taxing on the body, this was what got them through it and the synergy effect was immeasurable.

• Dai-chan was moved to tears behind the scenes when he saw everyone's growth during the performance.

• About solo numbers: When he does solo numbers, Dai definitely wants to include jumps [as opposed to performing a solo dance].

• Dai couldn't practice his solo number much for “Kassouya”. He hopes that the next time he gets to perform it, he will be able to do it perfectly.

• It was actually at Art on Ice that Dai felt for the first time that it would be useful to be able to skate/dance with somene else! He said he felt frustrated that he wasn’t able to take the lead quickly enough when he was paired up with another skater [probably referring to being partnered with Joannie Rochette at AOI 2015].

• Dai currently has 18 pots of houseplants in his apartment. He ventilates the room and humidifies the air every day, and sometimes showers the plants in the bathroom. He sometimes performs the sage burning ritual while ventilating.

• When asked for something he’d like to try: He’d like to buy an investment condominium.

• About Hyoen: Dai received the script and there are more lines than last time [for “The tale of Genji”] and he will sing [which we already know].
  • On his 30th skating anniversary: Having come this far, now he wants to make it to his 40th or even 50th anniversary!

• At the end of the talk, instead of the obligatory “please continue to support/watch over me” he asked his fans to “keep walking with him”. :giggle:

______________________​

By all accounts Dai-chan’s first two episodes as a regular on the variety show „Poka Poka” on April 4 + 11 went well and had a lot of cute and funny moments. I uploaded the first episode on google drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18cgeCm0movTxDvHaAeyzc0Yh1YqPXb9H/view?usp=sharing

A cute moment from the show on April 4 (if I'm getting it right Dai-chan was introduced as “The Nobleman on Ice 30 Bronze!” - referencing his Olympic bronze medal):

Here's a scene/skit from April 11 with the regulars cosplaying as cats 😻:

At one point in the show on April 4 the regulars were asked to reveal something surprising about themselves to which Dai apparently replied that he doesn’t really like the sound of ice and was never able to get used to it, so he appreciates that a lot of the time there is music and or other noises masking the sound the blades make on the ice. 😱

By the way: Dai appeared with fellow "Poka Poka" regular, Wakako Shimazaki, in this CM for the Kinoshita Group 12 years ago:

Last but not least, here’s the additional footage from “Kokoro Lab”, which was broadcast on March 17 (featuring Kana too):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jWjZ-XpXKYz3C6AbnPF5vhMn6TBG-Ao6/view?usp=sharing

______________________​

Last edited: