Page 23 of 156 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 73 123 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 345 of 2328

Thread: Daisuke Takahashi

  1. #331
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    He's going to be here? Yippee!

    Sorry, Japan. You can't have him back.
    As you wish!
    In return, please keep an eye on Nikolai for the sake of Daisuke.

  2. #332
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,108
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Leonova wrote in her blog on rsport.ru that Dai is coming to Morozov's camp in the US at the end of July.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    He's going to be here? Yippee!
    Sorry, Japan. You can't have him back.
    I just might have to take a a little trip to Morozov's camp. Is he still in NJ?

  3. #333
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Road trip!

    Remember, you have obligations if you go. We require a report.

  4. #334
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    I just might have to take a a little trip to Morozov's camp. Is he still in NJ?
    No, my dear. In her blog she said they were there but then they moved to Connecticut where they are planning to stay till the end of August. She explained that Morozov spent a lot of time on finding the rink where they can work at nights, because it's the best time to make new programs (no kid-pupils around, etc.), as she said:
    http://rsport.ru/blog_leonova/20120703/603531327.html

  5. #335
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,986
    Where in CT? It's a small state, and I live there.

    Simsbury, perhaps?

    Or Yale?

    Depending on where in NJ someone is, lots of CT is very close, too, for that matter.

  6. #336
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Where in CT? It's a small state, and I live there.

    Simsbury, perhaps?

    Or Yale?
    She said they are in Danbury (Коннектикут, город Дэнбери in the original Russian text). She doesn't specify what rink ther are in.

  7. #337
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,783
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    She said they are in Danbury (Коннектикут, город Дэнбери in the original Russian text). She doesn't specify what rink ther are in.
    Let's talk, how many languages do you handle??? I have always wondered. You must be at least trilingual!
    SkateFiguring is trilingual at least, too. It often amazes me that a lot of GS members speaks so many languages, while I am struggling with singular/plural form on nouns and/or subjunctive mode all the time...

  8. #338
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    while I am struggling with singular/plural form on nouns and/or subjunctive mode all the time...
    Haha. You have no idea how many native English speakers don't handle "If only she were here..." and other subjunctive mood forms. Or can't explain to a not native speaker (like myself) why "The United States of America" has the arrticle "the". You are doing very well in fact.

  9. #339
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    Let's talk, how many languages do you handle??? I have always wondered. You must be at least trilingual!
    SkateFiguring is trilingual at least, too. It often amazes me that a lot of GS members speaks so many languages, while I am struggling with singular/plural form on nouns and/or subjunctive mode all the time...
    I am also amazed and impressed. In several different alphabets and writing systems, no less! Add skatinginbc to the list of multilingual prodigies as well. This is a talented and accomplished bunch, isn't it?

    And your English is splendid, deedee. As for subjunctive, as let's talk says, many native English speakers goof up this mood--probably because we don't really have a separate subjunctive form. (On a related topic, if I had a nickel for every time I heard a native speaker say "I should have went" instead of "I should have gone," I'd be a lot better off.)

    By the way, let's talk, I read somewhere that before the Civil War, people used to use the plural verb for the United States: "The United States are." Now we use the singular: "The United States is." I love how elastic language can be. Part of that particular change may be philosophical, and part may be a separation from British English. I've noticed that in Britain they use the plural verb for a company name: "Cadbury are a British chocolate manufacturer." In the U.S., we use the singular; "Hershey is an American chocolate manufacturer." The Brits say "My family are in London for the Olympics." We say "My family is in London for the Olympics." (I wish!)
    Last edited by Olympia; 07-05-2012 at 11:37 AM.

  10. #340
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,986
    I'll take a guess:

    At the time just prior to the Revolution, the states were actually occasionally in shooting wars and often in legal confrontations with each other. They were separate colonies of England, as separate as say, Australia & Canada or India & South Africa in the day of the British Empire. They were separated by religion, and even by ethnicity.

    NY had many Dutch folk.
    Pennsylvania was Quaker.
    Maryland was Catholic.
    Vermont was Deist/Unitarian.

    And lest you doubt the military stuff, for example, Vermont's Green Mountain boys were an already existing military force who spent their time keeping away invading folks from New York, which is why they were organized enough to seize Fort Ticonderoga immediately after the Battle of Bunker Hill.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Mountain_Boys

    Consequently, the origin of "the United States" is similar to "the European Union". The states were separate entities organized together because:

    "If we do not hang together, we will most certainly hang separately."


    Consequently the definite article "the" is used with the adjective "united" to describe the States. At first the united states was normal English syntax, and not a name at all. ( Previously, they would have been "the" colonies.)

    Later the common designation was chosen as the name of the country, with the The left in, perhaps for convenience in not having to change documentation all that much as anything.

    In any case, it's as good a guess as any.

  11. #341
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    And after the Revolution, before the Constitution was developed, the states lived under a document called the Articles of Confederation. Everyone moved in a separate orbit. There was no U.S. monetary system, so, for instance, some states used British money and some used gold doubloons. Vermont I think entered into a treaty with Spain. Finally people came over to the idea of a strong central government, but with certain rights belonging to the states.

    Ethan Allen...one of my favorite quotes (I hope it wasn't apocryphal) was what he hollered out when he took Fort Ticonderoga: "Surrender in the name of the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress!" I've always wanted an opportunity to say that.

    As for when we put the definite article (the) in front of nouns, it can be confusing. In French, it's easier: you nearly always have an article in front of a noun. There doesn't seem to be a rule in English, unfortunately. For instance, you would say "Night comes early in December" but "The night has a thousand eyes."

    But don't worry: when Daisuke comes here and learns some English, we'll be delighted at whatever he says!
    Last edited by Olympia; 07-05-2012 at 01:37 PM.

  12. #342
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I'll take a guess:

    At the time just prior to the Revolution, the states were actually occasionally in shooting wars and often in legal confrontations with each other. They were separate colonies of England, as separate as say, Australia & Canada or India & South Africa in the day of the British Empire. They were separated by religion, and even by ethnicity.

    NY had many Dutch folk.
    Pennsylvania was Quaker.
    Maryland was Catholic.
    Vermont was Deist/Unitarian.

    And lest you doubt the military stuff, for example, Vermont's Green Mountain boys were an already existing military force who spent their time keeping away invading folks from New York, which is why they were organized enough to seize Fort Ticonderoga immediately after the Battle of Bunker Hill.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Mountain_Boys

    Consequently, the origin of "the United States" is similar to "the European Union". The states were separate entities organized together because:

    "If we do not hang together, we will most certainly hang separately."


    Consequently the definite article "the" is used with the adjective "united" to describe the States. At first the united states was normal English syntax, and not a name at all. ( Previously, they would have been "the" colonies.)

    Later the common designation was chosen as the name of the country, with the The left in, perhaps for convenience in not having to change documentation all that much as anything.

    In any case, it's as good a guess as any.
    That was entertaining. But I am afraid that if someone needed to learn the history of each country in details in order to know to use "the" or not, the result would be just every time. I take it simpler: if the name of the country has a common noun, then the article "the" is used. At least that was what they told us at school: "Russia" but "the Russian Federation". As well as "the United States of America", "the United Kingdom", "the Dominion of Canada", "the Soviet Union", etc. There are some exceptions but they all have their reasons, either geographical (the Bahamas and the Philippines refer to the groups of islands) or historical (the Netherlands, original meaning "low countries"). Luckily for Daisuke and for all not native English speakers the wrong usage of the article with proper names is not crucial.

  13. #343
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    That's an excellent explanation, Let's Talk. It seems to suit all the examples, and it even mentions the exceptions. (I have a vague recollection that Gambians call their country "The Gambia," for example.) As you say, it's not crucial to figure out where to use the article, and we'll get Daisuke where he needs to go whether he masters that part or not. All he has to do is smile and wave.

  14. #344
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,783
    There will be a charity show on Thursday July 12th at Rinkai Sport Center in Osaka.
    The porpose of this show is fundraising on renovation costs of Rinkai Sport Center.

    Skaters to perform:
    -Daisuke Takahashi
    -Akiko Suzuki
    -Kanako Murakami
    -Fumie Suguri
    -Other younger skaters who train there

    Rinkai Sport Center has an ice rink which is open for public, and at the same time, one of the FEW rinks available for competitive skaters based in Osaka area. Daisuke Takahashi and Nobunari Oda used to train there until they went onto college (=Kansai University DOES have its own ice rink for their students). Many other younger skaters still train there, such as Keiji Tanaka (2011 Worlds Jr. silver medalist) and Yukihiro Yoshida.

    The center is very old so that needs an immediate earthquake-resistant renovation in accordance with the architectual standards law. Osaka prefecture, however, has been facing the huge financial deficit for years and no budget applicable they were mercilessly saying. Thus this center has been threatened to close down since spring 2008.

    Back in spring 2008, all those concerned and its skaters including Dai conducted a campaign to collect signatures up to 138,000 and hosted a charity show in order to make a petition to temporarily postpone Osaka's decision to close down the center and it worked so far.

    The cost for renovation is estimated 300 million yen (=approx. US$ 3.75 millions). The Governor of Osaka Mr. Matsui recently suggested "One coin (500 yen=approx. $6) fundraising campaign", and promised that Osaka may reconsider the decision and be ready to bear the half of the renovation costs (150 million) if the center can get supports from many people through this campaign to prove that the continuance of the center IS everyone's interests and desires.

    As of today, the center has collected 4,723,204 yen (=a little over US$59 thousands) from 3,891 people, thanks to their goodwill!
    It seems still a long way to reach the goal, but as Laozi the great philosopher of ancient China says "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step!"

    Here is the link for this campaign:

    http://rinkai.rocket3.net/
    http://rinkai.rocket3.net/details1.html ->you will find Fumie and Dai if you scroll down the page.

    Though I can't bear train tickets nor time for a round-trip to Osaka myself, (besides, charity show tickets are already sold out ) I will go to the nearest bank to remit my small donation on Thursday again, instead.

    Hope someone who's going to the charity show will report for us later!
    Last edited by deedee1; 07-09-2012 at 02:57 AM.

  15. #345
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Dai was added to the Prince Ice World shows that take place the nearest weekend: www.princehotels.co.jp/iceshow . I saw the site just a few days ago and he wasn't there. Now I was researching the access to the arena and saw him ! What a wonderful surprise. Lucky me. I am especially interested to see top three candidates for OM in one show, and each of them is so different.

Page 23 of 156 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 73 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •