Daisuke Takahashi | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Here's the video of Dai, Mao and Tatsuki in the Shanghai restaurant eating some hairy crabs that Dai obviously doesn't like ;). He said he wants to eat pirozhki in Sochi. :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a67APgBfTV0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf8b98a22fw

His coach Nagamitsu told the press that: "Though the skate in FP was the worst of him, we know the cause of it. He couldn' move sufficiently because of the delay in adjusting skating boots. However, he should have had skated better even with such a problem. We will sort it out until next NHK." (translated by miyu)
http://www.nnn.co.jp/dainichi/rensai/skate/121109/20121109032.html

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Those crabs look disgusting. :( I really hope you're right, Nagamitsu-sensei. I think I'll watch NHK with closed eyes. Or maybe not at all. My poor nerves. :)

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
His coach Nagamitsu told the press that: "Though the skate in FP was the worst of him, we know the cause of it. He couldn' move sufficiently because of the delay in adjusting skating boots. However, he should have had skated better even with such a problem. We will sort it out until next NHK." (translated by miyu)
http://www.nnn.co.jp/dainichi/rensai/skate/121109/20121109032.html

Thanks for this! I am much less concerned about him now that I know his poor skate was probably due to boot problems... I really want Dai to be able to do what Patrick did - have a rough first Grand Prix but then go out and amaze everyone at his second Grand Prix, and remind everyone why he is one of the very best (I already know this, of course, but some people seem to have short memories as they are already writing him off, just like they did Patrick...

If Daisuke doesn't have his boot problems straightened out yet and happens to finish 3rd at NHK behind Javier and Yuzuru, I will not be very happy at all if Florent wins at TEB and qualifies for the GPF and not Dai (even though I've always liked Florent and his different style). It would just seem wrong that that Florent getting 4th at SC and 1st at a very weak field at TEB would get him to the Final, when Dai might finish 3rd at a very deep at NHK. Oh well, complaining won't help :) Best of luck to Dai!

carignan

Rinkside

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
Hey I have a question for anyone who lives in Japan. I hear that Daisuke is very famous in Japan, and that he attracts the media. I was wondering exactly how famous is he in Japan? In the U.S., figure skating is a niche sport, so not many know him, other than those in the skating circles. But, for instance, I do not follow basketball one bit, but even I have heard of Kobe Bryant and Lebron James, because they are so famous here. Is it like that with Daisuke, where people who do not follow the sport much have heard his name? If you asked an average person out on the street, would they know who you were talking about? Or is his fame more just with figure skating fans only? I am simply curious, from the other side of the world :)

let`s talk

Match Penalty
^ I have never met any Japanese who did babmi eyes when he/she hears the names "Daisuke Takahashi" or "Mao Asada". Even people who has zero interest in this sport and who never attended any fs event, know those two. They are much on TV, including in commercials, especially Mao. Just keep in mind that normally people here don't rush to the celebrity aggressively, trying to touch him/her, take pics, etc., i.e. doing the things that often make Western celebrities to employ bodyguards. At the same time when Dai and Mao were spotted shopping together in a mall a couple of years back, tabloids, i.e not fs media at all, immediately published their paparazzi photos. And you know tabloids are mainly not interested in someone who is nobody. A russian skater who took part in THE ICE this summer wrote that when Japanese school children that were sightseeing in Nikko saw Mao, they surrounded her asking for pictures and photographs. Only during last few months Dai "showed up" in the magazines that have nothing to do with fs, like a fashion one or an early childhood education mag. And don't forget TV guides that anyone usually reads on a regular basis!: http://twitpic.com/bdpqs1 . An average person, and not necessary a fs fan, can often see those two in media of any kind, printed or tv. :)

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
^ I have never met any Japanese who did babmi eyes when he/she hears the names "Daisuke Takahashi" or "Mao Asada". Even people who has zero interest in this sport and who never attended any fs event, know those two. They are much on TV, including in commercials, especially Mao. Just keep in mind that normally people here don't rush to the celebrity aggressively, trying to touch him/her, take pics, etc., i.e. doing the things that often make Western celebrities to employ bodyguards. At the same time when Dai and Mao were spotted shopping together in a mall a couple of years back, tabloids, i.e not fs media at all, immediately published their paparazzi photos. And you know tabloids are mainly not interested in someone who is nobody. A russian skater who took part in THE ICE this summer wrote that when Japanese school children that were sightseeing in Nikko saw Mao, they surrounded her asking for pictures and photographs. Only during last few months Dai "showed up" in the magazines that have nothing to do with fs, like a fashion one or an early childhood education mag. And don't forget TV guides that anyone usually reads on a regular basis!: http://twitpic.com/bdpqs1 . An average person, and not necessary a fs fan, can often see those two in media of any kind, printed or tv. :)

Thanks! So that's really a lot of added pressure for Dai and Mao to perform well. I wonder whether they like the attention or find it annoying.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Reposting my post in the Edge Thread

Nice interview. Dai has a good soul, I am proud to be a uber!

Thanks let's talk for keeping me updated on my favorite skater!

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Dai's progs at NHK, HD, no commentators rants:
SP:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8bfadukADo
FS:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP8R9eaE1Fk
Dai's EX:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWON8IrHc08
Dai cherring for Mao at FS:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pDCUt9KHhM

Leode translated Dai's interview after FS at NHK:

-Dai: "I’m really disappointed that I made a mistake with the second quad. I stumbled on a ice, but I think this was real competition for me. Fortunately, I was relaxed to jump for the first quad. Even though I made a mistake on the second one, it’s not bad mistake and I’ll improve it more and more. After the short program, I was 8 point behind Hanyu so that I didn’t need to play it safe and it made me more comfortable. However, I made some mistake with the short and free program, I need to improve my performance and I felt how pretty high level current men’s competitions were."

-TV guy: "It is the seven times that you have come to GP Final and it’ll be the largest number of men ever to take part in the competition." (*not true, Plushenko took part in 8 times.)

-Dai: "I’m very surprised to hear about it and it’ll be more hard competition to win for me. I’m not sure about GP final next year, but I’ll do my best for heading into the next competition."

-TV guy: "How about GP final you are going to?"

-Dai: "I’m relieved now. I feel a strong power from Hanyu’s performance. And I’m in a difficult situation, but it motivates me a lot."

-TV guy: "How about Japanese men’s figure skating?"

-Dai: "After I’ve followed Takeshi Honda and Yamato Tamura before, now I found I was here. And a young generation came up after me like Nobunari Oda and Takahiko Kozuka. They make me notice, if I spoil myself. And I’m enjoying fighting them. It’s really good opportunity for me and I really appreciate that I’m competing them in the good times."

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker

---> Priceless! :yes: Thanks a lot for posting all these video clips and the interview, Let's talk. Lifted my heart! :)

For some reason, I love Dai performing his EX after competitions, especially after he is upset/unsatisfied about himself or its results. ;) It sure adds Dai some extra energy/blaze to perform, and gives me chills. :cool:

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Edited to add:
Looking at the whole competitions at NHK Trophy thru TV at home, hearing all the cheers before his performances, and big shouts + standing ovations afterwards, I was just glad and relieved Dai seemed to have two good enough performances to qualify GPF. :)
Also, I thank god that he did not re-injure his right knee upon landing that scary 3A...

Good for him to keep putting 2 quads in LP this season.
One DG << w/a fall, the other UR < at CoC ---> One ratified w/+GEO, the other two-footed UR < at NHK.
An improvement I see. One step at a time. :yes: I hope Dai can land two quads by the time big competition comes in March. And that must be his goal this season I believe.

Best of luck to Daisuke at GPF and Nationals! :party:

I always love to see how our Japanese skaters root for and cheer for each other, while competing against each other. Regardless of their desired or undesired results after competitions. Really makes me smile, lifts my sometimes depressing feeling and easily blows away my half-bitter feeling. :) That is one precious reason for me, out of many reasons, I adore and respect our skaters over the years. Good sportsmanship. :thumbsup:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks let's talk for the videos and translation. Dai's exhibition is wonderful, what a true artist he has become.

deedee love your post and I agree. Team Japan are very supportive of each other and it is obvious
that they care about each other on a personal level. Us fans can take a lesson from them.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
^ Dai did quads at training and a combo 4T-3T, very light, easy and rotated, see here at around 4:33 www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx9gFEA-Bk4 I hope Morozov will fix it and Dai will perform it the same way at competitons too! Seriously, Kolya, we count on you :cool:. I think Dai might still have some boots problems. BS NHK showed a lot of backstage at LIVE broadcasting and Dai was fixing his boots too often. Anyway, it's my seculation only because Dai is the only one who knows how he feels in those boots.
Team Japan indeed has a terrific spirit of sportsmanship and support, one of the reason why I like J-skaters so much. Here a funny pic of Dai and Yuzu where the yougest one is helping the older to deal with flowers that Dai got from the audience :) : http://vk.com/album-2152302_165332432#/photo-2152302_292221027

Btw, a little OT but speaking about Team Japan, Dice Murakami twittered the X-ray of his dislocated shoulder. I am a no doctor but this pic looks scary! :eek: http://instagram.com/p/SfT7g7m7T0/ Odaiji-ni, Man. I hope he will be able to compete at Nationals in Sapporo.

So far the season is looking pretty good for Dai. That long program was splendid. Thanks for all the links, everyone!