Page 43 of 90 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Daisuke Takahashi

Custom Title
    Oh, my stars. What a performance.

The guy skates as if he invented skating, and as if Leoncavallo wrote the music just for him.

You know what's especially wonderful? This is all on borrowed time. He had a career-ending injury years ago, and I thought we'd never get to see him compete again. And now here he is, skating like this. Wow.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    let's talk, is there a translation somewhere? (In any case, well worth watching, even though I don't understand any words that aren't "lutz" or "axel" ) Thank you!

Banned
    Dai's EX at JN's Gala "Medalist on Ice". Tango, with live music:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=KURspQLLvYE (Dai is using a new hair product? So charmingly shining.... )

Thanks for posting this fascinating documentary!

eta: Dai's exhibition performance WOW he always gives 100%, loved this performance to the live music. Glad his encore was Mambo, he was having so much fun with the audience.
    Dai is a Rock Star! Thanks for posting the video and the quality is excellent!
    Last edited by demarinis5; 12-24-2012 at 09:07 AM.

Custom Title
    Live music! Wow, what a wonderful experience. Thanks so much, Let's Talk. And he gets an encore? Lucky us. This guy really is a skate god for life. I have to be at the office today, and I'm so glad to have this to start the day with. What a motivator.

I'll watch the documentary later today, I hope. A splendid Christmas present; thanks so much from one Daisuke fan to another.

As I'm watching this, I've been thinking yet again how creatively Dai uses his arms and upper body. No flailing windmill arms from him.

Custom Title
    Thanks a lot for your hugs and kind words, demarinis! Having watched Dai's documentary on TV (same ones let's talk kindly linked), I feel better today.

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Documentary on Dai:
    part 4:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=A72QynzkZJc
    Priceless moments for me: Takeshi at 4:35, Dai at 6:52, Utako sensei at 6:57 & 7:15, and Mr. Watanabe (Dai's physical trainer) at 6:10 & 7:01!
    Thanks to these wonderful people of Dai's team, especially Nabe-san's diamond-like tears at 7:01 has helped me to let my ill-feeling inside of myself go away.

Here is my little wish to the skating god for christmas:
    "Please let Daisuke have a skate full of his souls, like the one at this year's Japanese Nationals, on the night of Mens free at Sochi."
    Last edited by deedee1; 12-24-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Banned
    Dai's interview at World Figure Skating #56. Maybe smb. in the internet will make a fancier translation later:

On the question that he had competed in GFP 7 times, finally could get a gold, but considering his status he might get the gold medal earlier than from the 7th attemp, Daisuke said that he could medal before but this time he felt that he could show himself and do his best.
    On the question that at GP this season he could finish only second, he said that at Cup of China he had troubles with his boots and at NHK the competition was very strong with Mr.Hanyu and Mr.Fernandez that he actually thought before the event that he might finish third.
    On the question that he skated rather well at Japan Open but at CoC he failed to deliver, he said that yes, it was not good performance of him, he did have troubles with the new boots that he couldn't adjust in time but it shouldn't be an excuse because the skater must skate his best in any situation, he thinks.
    The interviewer (A.Tamura) said that his SP at GPF got the high score, he commented that yes, this time he could do it rather well, but his stsq was judged not on the highest level. Then the interviewer added that she heard Nikolai Morozov made some changes in the stsq in SP. Dai said yes, that's correct, and he is aware about different opinions regarding his collaboration with Morozov. He wanted to try smth. new in stsq, but sometimes he feels that it's not that easy for judges to evaluate the level of stsq.
    About his FS, the interviewer felt that the music in the second part is slower and less fun than in the first part. Dai answered that he feels quite comfortable in his new FS, before he skated enough fast and fun programs, now he wants to try smth.different. Maybe Shae-Lynn Bourne could look better and more kakkoi in this prog but Dai hopes he can express himself quite well too.
    Regarding his feeling on skating in Iceberg, he said that it was a good chance for him to try the Olympic Arena, so next time when he hopes he will come to Sochi, he won't have any troubles or negative feelings since he already knows the place.
    On the question about the high competitions at Japanese Nationals, especially compared to some of his rivals' Nationals, like Mr.Fernandez's for example, he said that it only works good for him that at Nationals he can meet so many great skaters. His main task at JN is to make the Team for Sochi and then there he will fight on his own where everything will depend on him and his performance. He also added that now he doesn't know if he skates or not after Sochi. He used the word "skate" in Japanese, so it doesn't necessary mean "compete".

Pics: http://twitpic.com/e/2kvw
    Last edited by let`s talk; 12-25-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    Priceless moments for me: Mr. Watanabe (Dai's physical trainer) at 7:01!
    He-he. The true aide-de-camp!

Custom Title
    Thanks so much for the detailed translation, Let's Talk!

Takahashi's responses really convey his maturity and his modesty. I don't know whether inside himself he thinks he's the greatest athlete since SpiderMan, but whatever his thoughts are, he has the grace to express respect for the abilities of others. I think that's such a wonderful attitude. I'm also intrigued to hear Takahashi's analysis of his skating, especially of his step sequence.

I do hope that despite the fact that he used the word "skating" in Japanese, he really just means competitive skating. Let's deluge him with fan letters and beg him to continue!

Thanks again. A great Christmas present!

Custom Title
    To os168 for your post #214 at Japanese Nats Mens thread:

I want to express my big 'thank-you!' to you os168 for beautifully writing about his free skate there. And I would appreciate if you allow me to copy and paste the following part, so that Dai's team somehow can get to read your beautiful post here, I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Daisuke's FS... regardless of my criticism of the choreography, that guy IS a bonafide skating God!! This is undoubtedly the best Men's best FS I have seen or experienced all season. I practically had a weird existential experience overall watching Dai on this occasion like no other. I don't know about others, but during the step sequences, I suddenly became overwhelmed with an heartache that completely shook and surprised the heck out of me. After the rest of my logical senses caught up, I figured this is why Dai is the greatest most watchable male performer! He has the soul of the true artist. They can do that with the slightest touch when they are at ease with themselves and not seem to try so hard.

Last year, he took a rudimentary and repetitive piece of music to show case his expressions, versatility and commanding presence. This year he picked Morozov and did something on the surface of it feels quite generic and streamlined. Unlike others who have consistently pick music that complement them and hide their weaknesses, Dai seems deliberately handicap himself to challenge how much further he can push beyond one self. He absolutely got the music, the essence of music, the artistry of skating and did a masterclass of making the better than what is on the paper. Just a stunning skater, wonderful performer, a class of his own. Thank you for exist Daisuke Takahashi. If it is up to me, You should have got the Gold today based on what I saw today, which can not be measured by COP, its maths can not do it justice.
    Here is a rough translation on what Utako-sensei and Dai said at the end of this wonderful documentary.

-from 3:00
    Re: his announcement at Moscow Worlds in March 2011 of his intention to continue his competitive skating until Sochi
    Utako-sensei: "To be honest, I was very happy to hear about it myself. Because I just love Daisuke's skating so much!, and because that means we can get to see more of his programs and performances a couple of more years. I was so happy for that. Regardless of good results or not in the future, Daisuke and his skating is very special in itself, I believe. I would like it very much if people all over the world could see and enjoy his skating as long as possible. That's my sincere wish, so I appreciated for his intention to cotinue."
    "We all understand, including himself, that it's going to be very tough and so many hardships must be awaiting us. Daisuke, however, has made up his mind to give it a try, while he is perfectly aware of its high risks. If it's what he wants to do, then we, as one team, just get ready ourselves to make every and our best endeavor to help him, and see whatever result will await us in the end."

-from 7:20
    Daisuke at post-comp press conference. Asked about his near perfect performance in Mens Free at J-Nats:
    (with a wry grin) "Actually, I have never felt 100% satisfied with any of my performances in my whole skating career, and I probably will never get 100% satisfied with my future performances, too, until I stop competing, I would imagine. What I need to do is dig up whatever (elements or movements) of my performance where I feel unsatisfied with, then adjust to make them better, and re-adjust and re-adjust...so that I can make them better towards its ideal as close as possible. I want to do it like that, to the best of my ability, until I finally give up my competitive skating."
    Last edited by deedee1; 12-27-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Thanks to let's talk and to deedee for the translations.

Deedee interesting quote from Dai regarding never feeling 100% satisfied with his performance, even his
    masterfully wonderful skate at JN he was not satisfied. I am sure that feeling is a great motivator for him to continue
    to improve and compete.

Custom Title
    Thanks so much, Deedee! Reading Os168's commentary again is such a pleasure. I think I agree with the idea that great skating artists are somehow at ease even in competition. They seem to know that they're in the place where they belong. Their skating isn't just for points. There's a lovely quote from the actress Tyne Daly. She makes a comment in answer to the old adage that a lot of stage acting is about breathing. The meaning of the adage is of course that an actor must, like a singer, learn breath control techniques. Tyne Daly said that she thinks of breath control this way instead: "I control when the audience stops breathing and when they start again." I think on some level a truly great skater controls our breath as we watch. It may be subjective--some of us will forget to breathe for one skater, whereas for others of us it will be another skater. But such skaters are very rare.

Thanks for the documentary. Dai's skating is so moving. When we see him off the ice too, it just makes him more lovable.

Custom Title
    Dai's interview at World Figure Skating #56. Maybe smb. in the internet will make a fancier translation later:

Pics: http://twitpic.com/e/2kvw
    Thanks a lot for the translation, let's talk! ...and because of the photos you added, I ended up buying this magazine, which I probably should not have at this time of the year (=costs so much money to prepare for the New Year's holiday in our country, right? ).

Page 43 of 90 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast