Daisuke Takahashi | Page 63 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Oh so you're from Japan. I envy you guys, getting to see Daisuke on TV and in the magazines. There are probably a lot of Daisuke Forums in japanese, where his fans can meet, right? :D I often feel myself holding back here, but I think it just shines through in my posts that I think Daisuke is number one. I don't want to be disrespectful to other skaters, just because I don't like them, or think they can NEVER compare to Daisuke. Some people here are just too blunt. ;)

LadyCapulet

Spectator
Oh so you're from Japan. I envy you guys, getting to see Daisuke on TV and in the magazines. There are probably a lot of Daisuke Forums in japanese, where his fans can meet, right? :D I often feel myself holding back here, but I think it just shines through in my posts that I think Daisuke is number one. I don't want to be disrespectful to other skaters, just because I don't like them, or think they can NEVER compare to Daisuke. Some people here are just too blunt. ;)

Yes I'm half Japanese and have been living here most of my life. Which is why I probably even noticed Daisuke in the first place. As a kid, I never really took notice of Japanese skaters and never was interested in watching them and supporting them; especially our Japanese male skaters. That was until I saw a highlight clip of Dai-chans Torino 2006 SP. There was just something different and special about him and I was hooked from that moment :D After that, the Japanese media immediately began promoting him as Japans ace, giving him nick names like 'Prince of Step' etc etc.
But these days since Hanyu won at JPN Nationals, and then went on to win Olympic gold, we're starting to see more and more of him, and less of Daisuke. Of course with his inevitable retirement soon to come, they need their new 'ace' and need the fans to support him, but I can't help feeling that an era of amazing skating is coming to an end :cry:

Sorry for fangirling! I don't get to talk about this much. I'm interested though to hear how you became a fan. In my case, being Japanese you can't help becoming a fan, but how about you?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I was always kind of interested in figure skating, but watched mostly ladies. I think seeing Daisuke in 2010 in Vancouver made me a fan, I understood why he didn't "win" but I think he is and was miles ahead of the rest even Gold and Silver Winners who left me totally cold. I still think this holds true for the 2014 Olympics. And then thanks to the power of Youtube I started to search for his legendary programs like Cyber Swan. I just felt so connected to his performances, I still get goosebumps when I watch them. Of course, it helps that he seems like a kind person and to me is very good looking!

If we can't fangirl in the Fan Fest thread, we cannot fangirl anywhere. I love this thread, because mostly people who love him post here! I feel that we all, as fans, also share a connection!:)

luckykid

On the Ice
I think there have been multiple interviews where he has indicated that he will go to worlds as he said something like he needs to continue to train because there is still worlds. So it should be quite likely that he'll be at worlds, unless his injury aggravates or he gets another injury.

LadyCapulet

Spectator
I was always kind of interested in figure skating, but watched mostly ladies. I think seeing Daisuke in 2010 in Vancouver made me a fan, I understood why he didn't "win" but I think he is and was miles ahead of the rest even Gold and Silver Winners who left me totally cold. I still think this holds true for the 2014 Olympics. And then thanks to the power of Youtube I started to search for his legendary programs like Cyber Swan. I just felt so connected to his performances, I still get goosebumps when I watch them. Of course, it helps that he seems like a kind person and to me is very good looking!

If we can't fangirl in the Fan Fest thread, we cannot fangirl anywhere. I love this thread, because mostly people who love him post here! I feel that we all, as fans, also share a connection!:)

I totally agree, one of the biggest things that stood out to me when I first started watching him, was the complete character change he presents on the ice. He will skate with such passion and fire that has you mesmerized, and as soon as it's over, he'll stick out his tongue and give a shy smile. I've never seen a skater that could do that. Become anything he wanted to be from a hip-hop dancer, and sexy latin lover, an intense phantom, a passionate romeo, an entertaining mime, a smooth rock n roller,...pretty much anything! And once the music stops he'll switch back to his sweet and humble self :love: This is what really made me go 'wow!' in the beginning and it still wows me.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
OH, wow, thanks for the link to Dai's exhibition. That was amazing. :love::love:

@MaiKatze, you are so cute when you say, "I'm also biased, but I don't understand how anyone cannot have Daisuke as his favourite skater. It just doesn't make sense to me, haha!" I agree -- but is it okay if I still love Johnny Weir, too, especially since he's retired? :cool:

These fan fests are so soothing after the highly-charged Olympic threads.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Okaeri Team Japan! Scary those fans at the airport. It is like they are famous pop stars. Is it a blessing or a curse to be that popular? We'll see at Worlds. Thanks for sharing, deedee.

rallycairn - Naturally you can love Johnny Weir as much as you like. :D As long as you love Daisuke more that's ok with me..... j/k :laugh:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Quite a welcome home for Team Japan! Definitely rock star status. It will get crazy for Yuzu
now that he is first male Olympic Champion for Japan!

Thank you for the links deedee.

luckykid

On the Ice
Just wondering, why does Takahashi have so many bags lol. Mao doesn't have that many, and Hanyu is only lugging 1 trolley! I think someone must be pushing the cart for Hanyu though.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Just wondering, why does Takahashi have so many bags lol. Mao doesn't have that many, and Hanyu is only lugging 1 trolley! I think someone must be pushing the cart for Hanyu though.
Looked like all the medal winners went directly to press conferences, so they came out carrying just their hand luggage... and presumably some minion had to take care of their checked-in luggage :-D

Since Daisuke (and Mao) weren't medal winners, I guess they had some time before the media finished their feeding frenzy with Yuzuru and the others, and attention turned to them. So they had to push their own luggage :-D

It was great to see Daisuke looking so relaxed and happy at the airport. Mao too.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker

Hair products of course. Having and maintaining the best hair in the business not only takes time but you need the
products and tools to keep it that way. :)

pomodorot

Rinkside
He does that always

His coach, Nagamitsu, who attaches the most importance to good manners, has always told him to carry his luggage by himself. Hanyu has a lot of supporters in the Japan Skating Federation and finds always someone who pushes the cart for him.

Meoima

Match Penalty
His coach, Nagamitsu, who attaches the most importance to good manners, has always told him to carry his luggage by himself. Hanyu has a lot of supporters in the Japan Skating Federation and finds always someone who pushes the cart for him.

I don't think so, Dai is always a hero in Japan, he could easily find someone push the cart for him. I think it's just what we see in the photos are not what actually it was. Anyways, there was the conference for medalists, you know.

pomodorot

Rinkside
I don't think so, Dai is always a hero in Japan, he could easily find someone push the cart for him. I think it's just what we see in the photos are not what actually it was. Anyways, there was the conference for medalists, you know.

Okay, I admit that the Hanyu part was just my speculation, but it is true that Daisuke never lets other people carry his luggage.

At the moment I'm a bit nervous because of the harsh handling of Daisuke by the Japanese media -- and maybe the JSF --, which caused internet flames yesterday... Sorry.

pomodorot

Rinkside
There was a one-hour feature program put on TV, which showed how this season went for Daisuke. You could see many offstage scenes, showing how he suffered from the injury as well, actually it could have been a great collection of insights and impressions, but the production staff apparently wanted to sell their story, "Hanyu, the new star, defeats Takahashi". At the end of the program they showed Daisuke, interviewed shortly after the Sochi competitions, probably exhausted from the mental and physical stresses and above all disappointed at the fact that he could not show his full ability in Sochi, and the reporter, who was tracing his path through the whole season, asked him, "who is now Japanese number one?".

Many viewers and Daisuke fans got angry at that last question because it demonstrates no respect for the athlete who contributed so much to Japanese figure skating in the last decade and is still being adored in the whole world. The tweets and comments by angry fans burned down some related accounts... And finally Daisuke closed his twitter account with a final tweet saying "Please calm down, everybody. Isn't it nice to have a reliable successor? ..."

I do not want to start discussing on that here, because I want to keep this forum in peace. I just want to let you know that especially in Japan Daisuke is not always treated as a hero as you believe. Very sad, but true. International observers are much more respectful toward him.