Daisuke Takahashi | Page 64 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi

aschiutza

On the Ice
I cannot believe, First Plush then Dai.... Public glory is a fickle thing it seems. It doesn't matter how great you was and how much you have done for the sport in your coountry, when someone is better than you or you cannot compete like you did, you seem to be history.

Apparently Dai won't go to the worlds because his injury is not doing well. This is so sad, i wished for him to end on a high note in front of his fans...

pomodorot

Rinkside
Yes, now it is official: Daisuke is not going to the worlds.

The official reason is his injury, but I'm not sure if that is the only one...
"Public glory" is still on his side and Daisuke is still very, very popular among figure skating fans in Japan. I am pretty sure that the competition venues will no longer be filled after his future retirement. But since two years ago, the JSF has been1 pushing, pushing, pushing Hanyu and has been apparently working together with the media in order to spread the climate of "generation change". They used that feature program to demonstrate their message, "Takahashis time is over".

What I find really sad and bitter is: Daisuke never really clearly mentioned that he would retire after the Olympics. His fans had a hope that he might continue, but when the media repeats "thanks Dai, that was it", that puts an enormous pressure on him...

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I cannot believe, First Plush then Dai.... Public glory is a fickle thing it seems. It doesn't matter how great you was and how much you have done for the sport in your coountry, when someone is better than you or you cannot compete like you did, you seem to be history.
These days journalists and publishers:

• Routinely throw integrity to the wind
  • Are driven ultimately by profit
  • Are always keen to generate controversy, rivalry and conflict where there is NONE
  • Ask rude, outrageous and inconsiderate questions KNOWING that it will enrage the public and therefore generate more sales, page hits etc etc.
  • Western tabloid media will even make up stories if there isn't one. If they get sued for libel, the extra sales they generated from their lies will cover any fines/compensation and they're still in profit.
I refuse to believe that such people are representative of skating fans, or the general public.

I believe Daisuke will live LONG in the public memory, and will be remembered fondly.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I'm so sad that he won't go to Worlds, I really wanted to see him one last time and I believe he would've been able to medal as well. He didn't do bad at Sochi, I don't know where this idiotic idea comes from. Did these people actually WATCH his performances? Both the short and the long were amazing and for me they were absolutely satisfying and surely artistically they were levels above EVERY OTHER SKATER! He was sixth! in the Olympics! I think it was a great accomplishment after all he's been through. He is much older than Yuzuru and his body has suffered enough I say. So then let Yuzuru bear all the pressure now, that won't be easy, good luck. I like Yuzuru, I really do, but you cannot compare him to Daisuke Takahashi and what he has done for figure skating in Japan and in general and it makes me mad that people act like this. And people say that Yuzuru is unfinished and Daisuke wasn't all that at 19, I disagree. When I watch Dais performances at 19 he already has that flair, that art, that magic. I feel angry and sad when I read that Daisuke feels sad and defeated himself, like in that post from his hairdresser. When Mao and Daisuke are gone let's see how figure skating will do in Japan. For me there is only one Daisuke Takahashi and he will never be replaced. Ever! *angryrantend*

Meoima

Match Penalty

Apparently Dai won't go to the worlds because his injury is not doing well. This is so sad, i wished for him to end on a high note in front of his fans...
No Russian skaters have ever surpassed Plushy (not the certain Kovtun, never him, I know) yet look at how the Russian press treat him now. I am suprised at Dai's case, though.
Anyways, I do believe Japanese's fans will always think of him as the hero.:) I know Japanese's fans.
The press can go **** themselves. :mad:
So sad he won't attend worlds.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
For me Japan is so blessed to have both a Daisuke Takahashi and a Yuzuru Hanyu. I think Yuzuru would not be Olympic champion right now if not for the high standard set by Daisuke.

I'm so sorry we won't get to see Daisuke at Worlds. I'm sorry that the Japanese press (or whatever part of it these reports come from) don't understand Daisuke's importance not just to Japanese skating but to men's skating internationally. He's one of those few skaters who, like Browning, Yagudin, Lambiel, and some others, will be remembered with admiration by fans in many countries. I hope Dai himself realizes how deep his fan base is, and that he recovers enough to skate in shows if that's what he wants. There's really no one like him.

And how gracious of him to say about Hanyu that it's nice to know that there will be a successor to keep Japanese men's skating going.

pomodorot

Rinkside
And how gracious of him to say about Hanyu that it's nice to know that there will be a successor to keep Japanese men's skating going.

Gracious, that's it!
In a recent interview Daisuke talked about the kiss and cry time after his free program and was asked how he was feeling, what he was thinking while waiting for his scores, with that Sochi bear on his lap. And amazingly he said, he was hoping that his scores would get announced as soon as possible, because, the longer it takes, the more nervous the next skater gets... And as you know, the next skater was Yuzuru Hanyu.

Many Japanese fans were stunned at this answer. We all know what a gentleman he is, but nobody imagined that he was worried about Hanyu in that moment!

Poice

Final Flight
Poor Daiuske...:cry:
I love his skating and I wish him to recover quickly! I don't want to think that his Sochi performances were the last from him in competition. Even without 4T he's still the greatest artist out there.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Daisuke, please take a very good care of your injured knee, until it's healed completely, please. How long it's going to take, and whichever path(s) you are to choose next in your life, we will root for you, wait for you and look forward to seeing your genuine smile again. like this one!: https://www.facebook.com/beSOUL2#!/...078.1073741825.355332287928382&type=1&theater

ETA: A hearty welcome to GS Forum and Dai's fan fest thread from me too, pomodorot! :) Post often post long!

Daisuke, please take a very good care of your injured knee, until it's healed completely, please. How long it's going to take, and whichever path(s) you are to choose next in your life, we will root for you, wait for you and look forward to seeing your genuine smile again. like this one!: https://www.facebook.com/beSOUL2#!/...078.1073741825.355332287928382&type=1&theater

ETA: A hearty welcome to GS Forum and Dai's fan fest thread from me too, pomodorot! :) Post often post long!

I echo Deedee's thoughts on Daisuke and also her welcome to you, pomodorot.

When I watched him skate in Sochi, I felt that the arena was his, and the moment was his. He went beyond judges and beyond the idea that it was a competition. It was a chance for him to skate and for us to see him. I've stopped measuring him against other skaters.

How fitting that the two singles skaters that I was rooting for most intensely, Daisuke and Mao, both gave us such beautiful programs that showed what they are made of--programs we will remember for years with great pleasure and satisfaction. My only regret about Dai is that we won't get to see him at Worlds.

pomodorot

Rinkside
Thank you, deedee1 and Olympia, for your nice messages!
And I apologize for having rushed into the forum without greeting decently.

You might already have found this as well, so just for the sake of completeness:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ejtub_daisuke-takahashi-sp_sport

Oh, Scott, thanks for your loving commentary... I envy Daisuke fans in the US who watched that live.
I was watching an Austrian sport channel and it was so horrible... Third class commentary, just counting errors and scores.
It was too bad that Eurosports could not afford to buy the Olympics broadcasting rights.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Thanks for posting it, pomodorot! :)

Messages to athletes who compete at the Games @ NHK's 2014 Sochi site: http://www1.nhk.or.jp/sports2/sochi/message/index.html?spid=all

You will find so many words of supporting, encouraging and appreciating for our Japanese figure skaters there. Personally I am grateful to see a number of people posting messages to Daisuke, even after the games were over, and it lights up my heart warmly when I read a comment like this:

高橋大輔選手への応援
兵庫県 70歳以上 男性 2014年2月26日

宝物は金・銀メダルやタイトルではない。苦しんだその時間と、そこからはいあがった経験。
支えてくれた師匠、友人。いざというときに頼れる人々。
もがき苦しむみっともない姿を安心してみせられる誰か。それが財産だと思う。
高橋くん、きみは苦しんだからこそ、順調ではなかったからこそ、経験という宝を身につけている。
きみの人生はこれからだ。ゆくてをはばむものはない。

To:Takahashi senshu
From: Male, age: in seventies, Hyogo pref., date Feb 26, 2014

"What are gems? They are not the gold or silver medals. All these hours and days one struggeld. All those hours and days s/he got up on its feet again and fought for it. All those around him/her; such as masters, seniors and friends who have supported him/her all along. All those whom one can count on when needed the most. And those one can fully trust and show who s/he is, even when s/he is suffering, struggling and looking miserable. Such things are the true gems, the fortune of one's life.

Takahashi-kun, you must have struggled a lot, I would imagine. The path you took and have followed has never been an easy one for you probably. However, because of that, you now have the gem called experience in you.
You are still young and you've got plenty of time in your life. Nothing or no one stands in your way."

pomodorot

Rinkside
Thanks, deedee1, and did you notice that there are 275 pages of messages for Daisuke?!
One page includes 20 or more messages, that means.... wow!

pomodorot

Rinkside
It seems that the message posting is already closed. But there is another TV program coming on NHK and its site is now open for messages:

http://www.nhk.or.jp/tamashii/ouen/ouen_099.html

You press the メッセージを送る button in the middle to open the form. The first input box is for your message text and the first field below the box
is for your pseudonym. You do not need to fill in the other fields, I believe.

You can surely write in English. I believe Daisuke understands English quite well in the meanwhile. But if you want, I can translate your message.