Daisuke Takahashi | Page 85 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi

cdngirl

On the Ice
No problem cdngirl. It's good exercise for my brain!

Thanks for the updates as usual ioanap. He looks kind of ... older?

Translations of Daisuke's interview with Tetsuko Kuroyanagi are coming soon as I promised.

Take your time with the translations and just get to it when you can. We can wait!

Busy Mom: Thank you so much for the video with the English subtitles. It gives such a great insight into what a kind and gentle person he is and all he has gone through over the years. I admire him even more.

Ionanap: Thanks for the latest photos and interviews. I think his hair looks great now that he's styled it on his own. Not that I didn't like the initial photo but I find that when I first leave my hairdresser's, with a new cut, I prefer it when I style it my own way.

mikaboo

Medalist
Translations have been done. Looking at the length of it, it looks like a big deal but it's a really lighthearted interview without much content :p so don't expect to find anything significant in it. I skipped some of the irrelevant or repetitive conversations out. Please feel free to correct for any mistakes because I'm not familiar with all the terms used in figure skating.
-------------------
T = Tetsuko Kuroyanagi
D = Daisuke

Video Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL1PCwwhz2o

T: When it comes to figure skating, the ladies' discipline is a big deal, but the men's discipline is a pretty big deal too. This man, Daisuke Takahashi, is called a "prince with passionate steps." Thanks for joining us today. He's currently ranked No. 1 in the world, came in 1st at 4CC with a personal best score with 2 successful quad jumps and a world record. Unfortunately, we can't show you the video clip of it because this channel does not own it. He's a student. At which university so you go to?
D: Kansai University, postgraduate course.
T: What are you studying?
D: Physical Culture* (身体文化) *Couldn't find the English name on Kansai University's website so I directly translated it as "Physical Culture".
T: Will that be useful for your skating?
D: I'm studying it to see how it can be utilized.
T: That must be fun for you, to study.
D: It keeps me busy.
T: Skating a studying at the same time must keep you very busy.
(1:45)
T: I was just saying "prince of steps" but everyone is called "prince of something" these days.
D: I don't consider myself a prince.
T: But it goes without saying that you are good looking. And you can jump a quad. I've always wanted to ask, what are your eyes focused on when you jump a quad?
D: It depends on the skater, but my eyes are usually closed.
T: Can you tell when you are jumping a quad? (with his eyes closed)
D: Yes, I can sense it.
T: There are jumps with 3.5 rotations as well right?
D: Rotating 3.5 times is when you jump forward. Other than that, all the jumps are 3 rotations, 4 rotations, etc.
T: Oh really. I think it's fascinating. My understanding is, you plan to jump a quad but if you jump a triple instead, you can change your next jump to a quad. So the skaters are always thinking while they are skating right?
D: I'm not good at that. If I do too much, I could end up doing jumps worth 0 points.
T: You can't do too many!?
D: That's right. There are restrictions on the jumps you can do.
T: So you can't do 3 quads in one program?
D: You can, but not the same type of quads.
T: That's bothersome. You can't do many jumps just because you can do them then?
(3:35)
T: A photographer who came (or works?) on this show went to Skate America and he said that the female audience was screaming when you were skating. So he thought that you must be very popular.
D: I was surprised myself. I was happy that I was getting cheers in the U.S.
T: It must make you very happy to get cheers overseas, especially as a young man.
(4:57 Video from Turin GPF FS from the quad jump)
T: I can't tell if you jumped 3.5 rotations or 4 rotations, but of course the judges can tell?
D: We hand in our planned program content sheet to them beforehand so they refer to that. If we pop jumps, we get points deducted.
T: What does "pop" mean?
D: When the jumps do not work out and end up with 1 or 2 rotations less than the plan.
T: Can you make additions somewhere to make up for the lost points?
D: (6:20) Um…. I don't think you can add. There are restrictions on the number of jumps you can do.
T: Is that so? So you can't do a quad later in the program just because you missed your first attempt like I said before?
D: You can, but it's difficult to do a quad later in the program.
T: I see, so you should do it in the first part. Your coach's name is Nikolai Morozov?
D: Yes, my foreign coach is Nikolai Morozov.
T: The name "Nikolai" is well known too, but "Morozoff" is a name of a confectionery shop in Japan. Do you sometimes take him the products from Morozoff?
D: I do when I have time to buy them at the airport. He likes getting them.
T: He's not related to them at all?
D: No.
T: When I heard that you danced to hip hop music in your program, I thought that you used it because you like hip hop music yourself, but that's not the case?
D: I like seeing them perform and dance to the music, but I didn't consider using it for my programs. When Nikolai first said that we're going to do it, I wasn't really into the idea but he didn't give me a choice to say no. I took dance lessons in NY and learned the steps there.
T: It might look easy, but it's really difficult to do hip hop steps on those blades.
D: Since the ice is slippery, it's hard to stay still when I need to. And there are elements that I need to add to the steps and they were difficult to combine.
T: You were reluctant at first, but how was it when you actually did it?
D: I showed it to audience in Japan first and their response was good so I was glad that I went through with it. When I skated to it at Skate America, their response was good there as well.
T: We're going to show you a video of the SP at the GPF in Torino. This is where you performed hip hop for the first time in the world and got 1st place.
D: Actually, it was the 3rd time for me to perform it in a competition but I got really good scores from the judges.
(9:33 video)
T: You've always liked to dance though didn't you?
D: I do like to dance, but I'm nowhere near real hip hop dancers. I'm winging it. The moves are fast so it's really draining. It took me 3 months to get used to it.
T: How long is it?
D: SP is 2 mins 50 secs.
D: Hip Hop dance movements are totally different to figure skating so it took me a some time to get used to it.
T: Did you think that you did well when you finished?
D: I was jet lagged and my body was sleepy, but the audience response was good and I got good scores.
T: Jet lags must be tough.
D: I'm getting used to them now.
T: Torino is a place where Arakawa-san got her medal so you have special feelings towards it?
D: It was my 3rd time in Torino and whenever I go there, I have a tough time on the rink but it makes me stronger every time.
D: You're good friends with Shizuka Arakawa?
T: Yes, I can't remember how many years ago it was, but she's been looking out for me ever since.
D: You call her "Shii-chan" like a big sister?
T: Yes, we were training together when she won the World Championship. We tend to end up at the same training sessions with the same coach so we practice together a lot. We're in foreign land so we only have each other to talk to so we became close.
T: What does she call you?
D: Dai-chan
T: Shii-chan, Dai-chan. Just like siblings.
D: I look up to her.
T: She's thought of as someone beautiful with a cool air about her, but she's nice isn't she?
D: Surprisingly, she jokes around a lot is and a fun person to be with.
T: So you have only each other when there only 2 of you at training camps. After all, you are only still a student so you must get lonely.
D: Right, I'm not strong at all and she's strong so looks out for me.

mikaboo

Medalist
Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoPIj5-cj20

T: You're from Okayama, the youngest of 4 sons. 4 siblings, is that common in your generation?
D: It's quite rare.
T: Being the youngest, were you dependent on others?
D: I was the youngest but both my parents were working so I was basically raised by my grandparents until I was in 5th grade. I was using my grandfather's arm as a pillow until then. He spoilt me.
T: Because you were spoilt, do you ever think that you had be more independent?
D: I don't know about that. I do think that I should stop relying on them, but they are always there for me, so I tend to go back to them for help.
T: You started skating because your mother thought you were diffident.
D: I didn't like to go outside, I wasn't social and I was a weakling so she wanted me to start doing some kind of a sport.
T: Look at that picture (1:16). So cute. You look like a girl at a first glance. Your father and brother do martial arts?
D: My father does Karate, and all my brothers do Shorinji Kempo.
T: And you weren't interested in that?
D: No, I wasn't receptive to that at all.
T: Your mother first took you to play ice hockey?
D: My mother is a hairdresser and one of her customers took me to see it but I was put off by the equipments so I refused.
T: And someone was figure skating at the rink then?
D: There was a girl I consider as my "big sister" who wanted to figure skate and she took me to do it and I thought it was so much fun.
T: So you thought, "this, I can do"?
D: I didn't think anything. It was like an instinct.
T: So you continued without being diffident?
D: Well, I was still crying at the beginning. I was having fun everyday but I wasn't aiming to be a skating athlete nor was I looking up to someone as a goal. I was just having fun and went to the rink whenever I had time.
(2:50)
T: You were really blessed with the people around you. Your neighbors made your costumes.
D: Yes, they helped me with costumes until the last minute before competitions and because my parents were busy, they took me to the rink and back. I couldn't do this alone.
T: So your neighborhood uncles and aunties and grandparents must be proud of you with your accomplishments.
D: I had a lot of support from a lot of people to come this far.
T: Your coach still has to tell you that you have to think that "I'm great"?
D: Yes, he tells me to have more confidence in myself but it's difficult for me. If I really felt that way, I have the tendency to become big-headed so I try not to think like that. Instead, I think that I have yet a long way to go.
T: But your coach tells you otherwise.
D: He tells me it's important to have confidence and put my level (of goals?) up.
T: So to have confidence in yourself, to have faith that you can bring yourself up to that desired level? He does have a point.
D: Yes, I think there is some truth in that.
T: But you don't like that?
D: Actually, I like to be the center of attention and I hate to lose. That part of me is coming out more now.
T: I think I can see that in your steps. You look like you're having fun.
D: And the audience enjoys it and that in turn, allows me to have fun.
T: Does your coach, Nikolai Morozov know you well and choose the music based on your character?
D: I think so. I am better at fast moves so I think he chose the music based on my strong points.
T: And you were the first to skate to the hip hop music genre?
D: I've never seen it used in a competitions but I think it's been used at exhibitions.
T: And you came in 1st. That's great. And it really tells how good your coach is too.
D: Yes, I feel like he can see through my personality.
(5:40)
T: Do you have to do your own hair and makeup?
D: Yes, I do my own eyebrows anyway, but for hair, there is nobody there to do it so I use hair gel, wax, spray before performing because hair can get messy in those 5 minutes.
T: I can imagine, with those spins and steps. But you can style it in the way you like so that's good. As for skating boots, you are very particular about them. And the boots and blades are initially separate?
D: Yes, there are preferences of what's suitable for you or not. I used to use different blades with deep curves and it was hard to jump with them. Since I changed to blades with shallower curves and bigger toes(?), my jumps have improved.
T: And you purchase them, (or they are given to you) separately and are attached together for you?
D: I go to a local skating store to get them attached. Boots only last about 3 months. The blades last about a year.
T: Obviously, the blades are attached very firmly to the boots.
D: The heels of these boots are made of plastic and the blades are are attached by long screws that are drilled in.
T: Has there ever been anyone whose blades have come off while skating?
D: There has been. Maybe not during competitions, but there has been cases where the screws have come off or the blades have snapped.
T: And the edges need to be sharpened?
D: Yes, to avoid damages to the blades. Sharpening of the edges are important. 1mm~2mm can feel very different.
T: You research and study this yourself?
D: Yes, and I make the request to have them sharpened that way.
T: The front of the blades are jagged (gizagiza). You need that part to jump. It's a crucial part of figure skating.
(8:10 she says gizagiza about 10 times it's kind of funny)
D: The size of the jagged edge differs depending on the type of blades.
T: It's looks almost like a saw. How heavy is it?
D: I think about 2kg for a pair. These boots are on the lighter side. If they're all leather, then they tend to be heavier.
T: I have a pair of shoes with 1kg weight on each shoe. So if I walk for 15 minutes, I get 30-minutes worth of exercise. When I get home and take them off, my body feels so light that I jump about 2m. You must feel that too.
D: It's surprising how light it feels when I take them off. Especially when I've had them on for a long time.
(9:40)
T: I heard that the lack of rinks to practice is becoming a problem for skaters.
D: Yes, the numbers of rinks are decreasing now. The rink in Okayama where I started skating will be closing down this year so we're petitioning to keep it open, but noone has offered to purchase it yet. Also, I heard that the rink where I used to practice in Osaka for 2 years after another rink I was initially practicing at went bankrupt, will also be closing down. The number of skaters is increasing, but the number of rinks to practice at is decreasing.
T: Are they hard to maintain?
D: Yes, the electricity and maintenance fees are enormous.
Arakawa-san was also saying that the number of rinks to practice in is worrisome.
D: The number of skaters are increasing, but the rinks are decreasing, so the skaters have very limited skating time. For me, I'm able to practice at the Kansai Univ. rink but I feel sorry for the other skaters.
T: You've been with your coach, Utako Nagamitsu, since you were small?
D: I've been with her since I was 2nd year at Junior high school. I even live with her now. She is like a parent to me and has supported me a great deal.
T: You are so lucky in so many ways.
D: I'm here because of luck and the support I've had from many people.
T: The Vancouver Olympics will be in 2 years.
D: Yes, I would like to aim for the gold medal.
T: Everyone, Daisuke Takahashi is aiming for the gold medal. Please give your support to give him strength.

cdngirl

On the Ice
Thank you for the translation, Mikaboo! It certainly seemed like a lot to translate so it is very much appreciated, as always. The interviewer seemed so fixated on skating boots and blades so your comment about the repetition of "gizagiza" made me giggle. It's ironic that they spoke about the screws on the blades coming off because it sadly eventually happened to him a few years later. He has had the worst luck but always comes through in the end which makes him so endearing. In addition to his talent and humility he has so much strength and determination which are just a few of the things I love about him.

Meoima

Match Penalty
No matter how I think about it, it seems the support from people around are the most important to the skater's mentality. I am happy for Dai to receive all the support from his neighbors in his early days.

BusyMom

Medalist
Thank you everybody for your fantastic works. I'm not even half way through them yet. :love: With 4 matches WC today, I'm sure I'll have a great time during the breaks. Hope to stay until the last game (Ivory Coast/Japan) at 8am. :laugh:

ioanna

Record Breaker
mikaboo, thank you for taking your time to translate those 2 videos, it is much appreciated. The lady didn't have the slightest idea about figure skating but in a way it probably helped viewers who were not familiar with the rules and terms to understand things better.

It seems to me no matter how many years pass, Dai is still a child at heart. The most fascinating thing about his career is that while every other athlete was fighting against the others, Dai has always been fighting against his own inner insecurities and misfortunes first and foremost. Fighting against your own mind is always a lot more difficult than fighting against others and this is one of the reasons why I admire him and the things he's achieved against all odds. He is a model for everyone out there who is struggling with doubts and is faced with obstacles.

Turin is probably a place dear to him as many important events have taken place there. His first Olympics, the gold winning Universiade, the 2007 GPF and not lastly the 2010 World Championship. As for the Cyberswan, it always got girls screaming everywhere he skated on it, not just Skate America. :biggrin:

BusyMom, I think Dai will be watching the game as well, to cheer for his childhood friend. :yes:

Edit: Adding this short video from today's talk session
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mui4gPgubpI

mikaboo

Medalist
Thank you for the translation, Mikaboo! It certainly seemed like a lot to translate so it is very much appreciated, as always. The interviewer seemed so fixated on skating boots and blades so your comment about the repetition of "gizagiza" made me giggle. It's ironic that they spoke about the screws on the blades coming off because it sadly eventually happened to him a few years later. He has had the worst luck but always comes through in the end which makes him so endearing. In addition to his talent and humility he has so much strength and determination which are just a few of the things I love about him.

I had forgotten about his incident with the screw on his blades. For some reason, I was thinking about Nobu's incident with the laces. I hope she didn't jinx him.
:laugh: about the "gizagiza." I wonder what possessed her to repeat that word so many times.

mikaboo, thank you for taking your time to translate those 2 videos, it is much appreciated. The lady didn't have the slightest idea about figure skating but in a way it probably helped viewers who were not familiar with the rules and terms to understand things better.

It seems to me no matter how many years pass, Dai is still a child at heart. The most fascinating thing about his career is that while every other athlete was fighting against the others, Dai has always been fighting against his own inner insecurities and misfortunes first and foremost. Fighting against your own mind is always a lot more difficult than fighting against others and this is one of the reasons why I admire him and the things he's achieved against all odds. He is a model for everyone out there who is struggling with doubts and is faced with obstacles.

It amazes me how confident he can make himself look on the ice when he, himself isn't like that at all.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Interview from the Fantasy On Ice brochure (source: Daisuke Takahashi Road to Sochi)

“It feels really good to skate in the spot light.”
*Completed the period of re-charging after the Sochi Olympics, Daisuke Takahashi has come back on the ice! The skater who will present a new collaboration number for the Fantasy on Ice in Makuhari talked about the skating for an ice show and his feelings toward the people who cheer for him.*

“Level of perfection for a show”
Interviewer: I believe that you are demanded for shows all over the world. What’s your focal point to skate in an ice show?
Takahashi: I would think how much the audience could enjoy and what they want. I would go for the performance that gives great impression of a work as a whole rather than the one having hard elements and fall as a result. So when I skate in a show I pay more attention to the reaction from the people than in a competition.

I: So you seek for the level of perfection?
T: Right, so that it wouldn’t have so many interruptions. The audience is watching it in the dark and that makes it easier to connect to it emotionally. I try to see to it that their feelings don’t get cold but also I don’t overdo it. In competitions techniques come first and then the expression as some extra. Its tension is different. In shows no matter how I get nervous I’d make sure that such aspect is taken into account.

I: How do you feel when you skate in a spot light?
T: Oh, it feels very good. As a performer, as well, one can get into the world easier in the dark. When you listen to the music it’s easier to indulge in it in a dark room too. Especially the gloomy type of music. And for cheery music it’s great to have it lighted up to get pumped up.

I: Do you ever tell them what kind of lighting you want?
T: I’m not much particular about it. I can’t see what I do objectively so if someone tells me “isn’t it better this way?” then I’d follow it. It’s totally different to do it yourself and see it away from it.

I: In this “Fantasy on Ice”, you will skate to a song of Hiromi Go.
T: It hasn’t been choreographed yet and I only have listened to it, but it’s a great song. I just had the upbeat image on Mr. Go’s songs but this one has a hook-line that’s really cool. My favorite type. I’d like to get more familiar to it.

I: What’s the difference to choreograph a program for shows and for competitions?
T: It’s totally different. There is nothing you have to put in so it’s easier to make one for a show. It depends on each choreographer, but basically it’s fun. You would absolutely enjoy creating something and it’s real fun to do it not alone but together with someone. There’s nothing at first and it gets into a shape more and more. I enjoy the process creating it until the first time to skate it in the show.

I: You probably picked the music yourself on many occasions. Do you have your own stock of music pieces you would like to skate to in ice shows?
T: I sure do. There are pieces I want to skate to in shows. So far all I have in my head are dark pieces. (LOL) Well, or you may call them somewhat mysterious or what not. None of them are rough and dashing. I think it’s my taste. There are many of them I feel like trying and they are all a little similar to each other. I also sometimes select it for a reason such as “this music may present well when you see it in a spot light.”

I: Have you ever choreographed your own programs?
T: Just once, “Nocturne” of the Secret Garden. I liked the piece very much. One of the skaters of my age was using it already but I wanted to use it too so I just made one for myself. It was when not many people cheer for me and I thought I could skate anything. I didn’t feel any responsibility making a program either in those days.

I: What about now?
T: Absolutely no. I would make one if nobody sees it. (LOL)

I: Do you feel the two are different, to choreograph a program and to express it?
T: They probably are. I may change my opinion about a year from now, but I think they are different for now. To express is to add something on top of what is given to you. To choreograph is a work to create ‘one’ out of ‘zero’. To make one into ten and to get zero into one are different.

I: Don’t you get requests to make a program from other skaters?
T: Sometimes, from my junior skaters of the club. I say, “I’ll never do it!” Sometimes their parents ask me about it but, “well, no, I’m sorry but I don’t!” is the answer. (LOL) I’ve always refused, politely. I might do if I ever have enough confidence to give a program to another skater but now I don’t have any. It’s something to show in public so I have to have some amount of confidence.
“I want to get influenced by the voice of Mr. Go”

I: you mentioned “expression”. What does expression mean to you?
T: I really don’t know. I never mean to express something or present some theme, or I’ve never skated to express myself either. So I always have a hard time when I get that question. It’s just like, I do what and how I want to do, for I like to move listening to the music.

I: Given the same music piece it depends on each skater if he can express something out of it.
T: I never see my performance live and taste the air filled there objectively. So I’ll probably never see it myself. As for the music, it simply comes inside me just as it is.

I: Is a live singing different?
T: I only have skated to a live song once. First I was not sure about it at all but it actually turned out to be great. With Japanese lyrics I feel more of its words than the Western music. It’s nice to hear the words to skate to. We both can build up and it really feels good when the song and the skating match well. Mr. Go who will perform with us is a star keeps shining for years and has an absolute magnetism. I just would like him to sing the way he always does and I can get influenced by that voice.

I: Do you have any skaters you thought, “wow!” when you skated with in a show?
T: Mr. Jeffrey Buttle can mesmerize the audience, depending on the program, without many jumps. And Stephane (Lambiel) always does quite interesting things. I think these two are special to me.

I: What do you think the attraction of ice shows is?
T: I think that is the harmony of light, music and movement. It’s just great to see it in the dark. In the same way as a stage performance, when the lights are dimmed the world of this side and that connected, that is, the connection with an individual. In the rink with bright lights it’s like “the entire audience” and “me” rather than one on one connection. In a show, I can connect with each one personally.

“An ideal skater image I picture”
I: This ‘Fantasy on Ice’ will take place in Makuhari where the ’94 World Championships was held.
T: In 1994 I already was skating. I didn’t see the World Championships but when its Exhibition Tour came to Hiroshima I went to see it with my skating peers. That was my very first visit to live performance show. I remember that I was blown away by Ms. Surya Bonaly and cast a bouquet. Also I liked Mr. Candeloro and threw a bouquet on the ice for him too.

I: Mr. Candeloro is in this show too.
T: he sure is a real entertainer and full of men’s sexual attraction. Sexy is more fitting word than beautiful for him. I wish I could be like that. Like guys such as him and Johnny Depp or George Clooney, you know, I’d like to be called “a cool guy” like them and I’m trying my best for that. (LOL) I would be able to fascinate with or without jumps and look sexy. I want people to think of me as “kicking” and “have style”. That’s how I want to be.

I: Please give some words to the young kids who aspire to be like you as how you once were yourself.
T: I made a lot of mistakes and did things that were wasteful to grow up supported by so many. I got spoiled and forgiven with this matter and that. So I came this far only because there were many who have watched over me with warm hearts. I would say to the people around them, rather than themselves, “even you see the child having a time playing around it is important not to give up on him/her but wait for some time”. Even though they make mistakes a few times, it’s good to have someone to forgive those. Everyone make mistakes and we don’t grow without them.

I: You also participate the P&G campaign, “the Official Supporters of Moms”. Do you have a message to all the moms?
T: Mothers don’t receive recognition very often. House moms especially don’t get chance to be valued every day. I think it’s a very tough job to handle. You would feel “I’m trying so hard for nothing.” But I assure you that your children do feel that with their bones. My mom also had done it hard, working and keeping the house with so little sleep, sometimes she fell asleep at the table eating dinner. But somehow she was full of verve in her heart. After I grew up I have come to realize her greatness. I had a time I felt her annoying, but no matter how I went against her deep down I felt she was too great for that knowing all she had done. If a mother has a healthy heart the child will grow up and find things on his own and generate his own energy. After all a mother is so important to a child so even you feel a little tired, I wish you are full of spirit for your child.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I: Mr. Candeloro is in this show too.
T: he sure is a real entertainer and full of men’s sexual attraction. Sexy is more fitting word than beautiful for him. I wish I could be like that. Like guys such as him and Johnny Depp or George Clooney, you know, I’d like to be called “a cool guy” like them and I’m trying my best for that. (LOL) I would be able to fascinate with or without jumps and look sexy. I want people to think of me as “kicking” and “have style”. That’s how I want to be.

Dai wishes he could be sexy? I'm pretty sure his fans would say he has already mastered that...I don't know how he didn't melt the ice every time he skated "Blues For Klook," for example... :eek::

ioanna

Record Breaker
He either does not own a mirror or does not look into one often.

The part about him throwing flowers to Philippe Candeloro and Surya Bonaly is really cute :biggrin:

BusyMom

Medalist
T: Your mother first took you to play ice hockey?
D: My mother is a hairdresser and one of her customers took me to see it but I was put off by the equipments so I refused.
T: And someone was figure skating at the rink then?
D: There was a girl I consider as my "big sister" who wanted to figure skate and she took me to do it and I thought it was so much fun.
T: So you thought, "this, I can do"?
D: I didn't think anything. It was like an instinct.
T: So you continued without being diffident?
D: Well, I was still crying at the beginning. I was having fun everyday but I wasn't aiming to be a skating athlete nor was I looking up to someone as a goal. I was just having fun and went to the rink whenever I had time.
(2:50)
T: You were really blessed with the people around you. Your neighbors made your costumes.
D: Yes, they helped me with costumes until the last minute before competitions and because my parents were busy, they took me to the rink and back. I couldn't do this alone.
T: So your neighborhood uncles and aunties and grandparents must be proud of you with your accomplishments.
D: I had a lot of support from a lot of people to come this far.
This answered my confusion. I knew he was the youngest of 4 brothers but a few years ago I watched one of Japanese TV Program in which dramatized Dai's childhood up until he switched to Coach Nagamitsu. In the program he talked about his sister and about recycled her gymnastic or dance (not sure) costumes. I guess she might be very closed to Daisuke and his family then.

Anyway, I still looking for that YouTube to share since it showed so much love and support Daisuke got from his hometown. Fingers CrossXX

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
In the program he talked about his sister and about recycled her gymnastic or dance (not sure) costumes. I guess she might be very closed to Daisuke and his family then.
Bear in mind that in Japanese, they frequently use family words like "sister", "uncle" etc to refer to people... but not just family members - they'll use those terms even for complete strangers, in the same way that we might use "Miss", "Mr/Sir" etc.

An honorific suffix clues you in on how "close" they are... eg. -san or -sama etc if they are not close or being formal, -chan or -kun if they are close.