Daisuke Takahashi | Page 93 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi

cdngirl

On the Ice
According to reports he performed 3T, 3Lz, 3Lo, 3F and 3S cleanly and he looks in great shape. Maybe we will get a high quality video since they're broadcasting it in Toyama.

Dai posted these pics with Akiko and Kenji on his instagram
http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/17/66/32/71/10522810.jpg
http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/17/66/32/71/10499210.jpg

Plus, a couple of reports from Yuzuru fans that attended the show (source)

" I went there to watch Hanyu. I am a Hanyu fan. He is so popular and I thought his program was wonderful. However. the level Takahashi skated was well beyond that. He is just in the different class.
I cried."

" I thought Hanyu was great, but I shed tears before even thinking how Takahashi was skating!."

Even if Dai is close to retirement, it's good to see he is still getting fans.

Thank you for the news, Ioanap. I am so excited to hear that Daisuke is back thrilling the crowds as only he can. It is nice to hear that Yuzuru's fans were so impressed and moved by Daisuke's performance. It is also gracious and generous of them to post their thoughts. As for "close to retirement" one never knows. I wouldn't count Daisuke out, just yet, because if his body can hold out there's no stopping him because he's one of a kind.

ioanna

Record Breaker
As for "close to retirement" one never knows. I wouldn't count Daisuke out, just yet, because if his body can hold out there's no stopping him because he's one of a kind.
The reports are very good indeed. It would be incredible if he gets his 3A back too by the time Friends On Ice starts.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^How are his knees doing? There seems to be no evidence of the injury from the show reports, but is it wise to start the 3A so soon? (I welcome him 100% if he wants to continue skating, but since he's not coming back next season, there's no need to rush. ;)).

ioanna

Record Breaker
^How are his knees doing? There seems to be no evidence of the injury from the show reports, but is it wise to start the 3A so soon? (I welcome him 100% if he wants to continue skating, but since he's not coming back next season, there's no need to rush. ;)).
His knees are doing much better. And speaking of his knees, Takeshi Honda held a conference in Osaka recently and he said something that may change the whole Sochi story we know so far.

According to Takeshi, Dai was already doing much better by late January and he even got his quad back. However when Dai left to Moscow for his last training before Sochi (he was still in Moscow by the time the team event started) Nagamitsu sensei called Takeshi and told him Dai fell ill and lost his jumps all over again. Takeshi further said he was moved to watch Dai skate the way he did, feeling sick with a knee that was not 100% recovered.

I was very surprised to read the new info since I thought his knee injury was the only thing that was bothering him, but apparently he was already doing much better before leaving Japan :eek:hwell:

Meoima

Match Penalty
His knees are doing much better. And speaking of his knees, Takeshi Honda held a conference in Osaka and he said something that may change the whole Sochi story we know so far.

According to Takeshi, Dai was already doing much better by late January and he even got his quad back. However when Dai left to Moscow for his last training before Sochi (he was still in Moscow by the time the team event started) Nagamitsu sensei called Takeshi and told him Dai fell ill and lost his jumps all over again. Takeshi further said he was moved to watch Dai skate the way he did, feeling sick with a knee that was not 100% recovered.

I was very surprised to read the new info since I thought his knee injury was the only thing that was bothering him, but apparently he was already doing much better before leaving Japan :eek:hwell:
Dai left to Moscow and worked with Morozov there, I suppose? :think: and he fell ill in Moscow?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Woah, what kind of illness is this--to cause him to lose all his jumps? Or, another possibility, though Dai had "recovered" his jumps, he was still in an iffy state, and the illness was kinda the straw that broke the camel's back?

ioanna

Record Breaker
I don't know what happened to him but whatever it was, it generally prevented him from standing on his feet without feeling sick. Maybe he caught a flu? A fever? Honda did not give further details, but he did say Dai had previously managed to get his jumps back. The sickness was most likely the final straw to his already injured body.

I believe what Honda wanted to say was the fact that it was a combination of his knee injury and sickness that took away his medal chances.

cdngirl

On the Ice
Woah, what kind of illness is this--to cause him to lose all his jumps? Or, another possibility, though Dai had "recovered" his jumps, he was still in an iffy state, and the illness was kinda the straw that broke the camel's back?

It's so surprising to hear that he was also ill in addition to nursing his injured knee. I guess it doesn't really matter what type of illness he had because if you think of how we (normal people as opposed to athletes) feel so sick from just a cold or the flu that we feel tempted to call in sick at work or miss classes at school and yet here was poor Daisuke faced with one of the biggest moments in his career and there were no complaints or excuses from him. He just faced it head on and skated magnificently as if there was nothing wrong. What strength and courage that must have taken and he gave us everything he had. I hope he realizes that in return he's receiving love from around the world.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
It sounds like something fairly serious though. I mean, generally, we can still function when sick. I'm sure Dai would've fought his way through minor illness. Of course, it could be that he was barely rotating quad/3A to begin with, so any illness would weaken him just enough to cause the UR problems. But "losing all his jumps" sounds even more serious than that.

Maybe he had some dizziness symptoms? Which would've prevented him from training jumps and spins.

Did Honda specify whether he was still sick during the men's SP/LP, or if he'd simply lost too much training time while having been sick?

ioanna

Record Breaker
Did Honda specify whether he was still sick during the men's SP/LP, or if he'd simply lost too much training time while having been sick?
He did not specify, but he did say he was moved to see him skate both sick and injured.

That probably means his health condition hadn't improved much.

jimeonji

Final Flight
Speaking of injuries, here's a pic of Dai, Luca Lanotte, and Anastasia Martyusheva from FaOI http://instagram.com/p/qGsLPesOCX/
Dai has a bandage on his right knee.

But honestly, reading about all of this makes my heart hurt - how much pain do these skaters go through every day, training and competing? (I watched one of the post-Sochi documentaries they did of Dai the other day and they showed some clips of him from his 2008 injury where he was in serious pain. I thought about it a lot afterwards) This last season was a roller coaster for Dai and he pushed through a lot in order to get on the ice and skate the best he could. And he never made a single excuse for himself. He talked about how he was disappointed in his placement, how he wish he could've done better, how he was sorry to Taka as well... even though he was injured and ill and no one blamed him at all, not even Taka. He stayed on his feet and moved us all.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Speaking of injuries, here's a pic of Dai, Luca Lanotte, and a Russian skater from FaOI http://instagram.com/p/qGsLPesOCX/
Dai has a bandage on his right knee.
This is the first time I'm seeing that bandage. He did not have it in the news report, nor the rest of the pics :think:

(I watched one of the post-Sochi documentaries they did of Dai the other day and they showed some clips of him from his 2008 injury where he was in serious pain. I thought about it a lot afterwards)
Those were really painful images to see and I was always wishing they stopped filming that whenever I saw glimpses in other documentaries. :cry: He was moaning and crying out in pain as the doctor put pressure on his leg, they shouldn't have filmed that.

jimeonji

Final Flight
I google translated some more tweet reports:
- Dai burst into tears during Beatles medley
- I think he slipped a bit after the ChSq and laughed

ioanna

Record Breaker
The Beatles medley still holds bittersweet memories for him I see.

A couple of more FaOI pics
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrsUXHECEAEkaGy.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Brws0AICMAEs34p.jpg

And a couple of lovely Friends On Ice 2012 pics that were posted on tumblr - source
https://31.media.tumblr.com/ca4d150c481c53a40cf1c4cce77a0741/tumblr_n88vplcP0q1tw5jh5o1_1280.jpg
https://31.media.tumblr.com/d2bd8c23731753b517f7304c27f960f8/tumblr_n88vplcP0q1tw5jh5o2_1280.jpg

jimeonji

Final Flight
Those were really painful images to see and I was always wishing they stopped filming that whenever I saw glimpses in other documentaries. :cry: He was moaning and crying out in pain as the doctor put pressure on his leg, they shouldn't have filmed that.

Right? And it broke my heart. :cry:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Right? And it broke my heart. :cry:
Some reporters have generally been a little insensitive with him. In the latest Fuji TV documentary they made him watch his post Nationals interview where he was crying and incapable of talking and it was obvious he was feeling a little uncomfortable to see that.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Why do some TV reports insist on showing the moments of trauma over and over again (not just for Dai--for people in general)? Save that stuff for fictional tragedies.

cdngirl

On the Ice

Wow. He's breaking my heart, again. I'm still in awe of his strength to carry on. I know from my dance training that there were many days when I wasn't feeling well. Sometimes I wouldn't train but the times that I did I wished I hadn't because even a cold can zap so much energy and I couldn't do my best so I would leave the class feeling dejected. I can't imagine having to use so much physical strength to do those jumps on ice and everything else that goes into a skating performance. It's much easier to do jumps and turns on a dance floor. Not to mention performing in front of an audience and being judged when you aren't feeling well. I have so much respect for him.