Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: ISU World Team Trophy, April 2012, Tokyo

Banned
    ^
    yes, Japan mostly shoulders the expenses like how they do for Japan Open
    at least their purse and love for FS is generosity enough

Custom Title
    Japan is the perfect place to launch the event, with guaranteed full house and lucrative receipts.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    The ISU is holding skaters' Olympic eligibility ransom in order to force them to participate in ISU events. While this is not new, this is yet another instance of it. Monopolist scum. I also find it really hard to give a damn about an unimportant competition so soon after Worlds where skaters will skate their by now thoroughly tired programs one more time.

Banned
    ^

let the bombings begin !

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    The "for whatever reason" gets me to .
    The ISU is holding skaters' Olympic eligibility ransom in order to force them to participate in ISU events....Monopolist scum.
    Nah, the monopolistic scumbags are just saying that you can't play sick, skip the World team thing, and then make a miraculous recovery just in time to skate in a show scheduled for the same day that pays more. Note that the time period for the "suspension" just covers the three weeks from worlds to the end of the team event.

Quote Originally Posted by ivy
    So is intended to be an every year event? Every other year? Was supposed to happen in Tokyo last year but cancelled because of quake. According to Wikipedia Japanese Fed paid the prize money out in 2009. Is that the case this year?
    Only two were scheduled, one in 2009 and then again in 2011, both in Japan. After that, "we'll see."

It is highly unlikely that this event will ever be held anywhere else except Japan. Following post 16 by sky_fly20, this is a made-for-TV show paid for by Japanese television and corporate sponsers, filtering the money through the Japanese Federation. No other federation can raise the money required to put it on and pay the prizes.

I thought he 2009 event was cool.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I thought he 2009 event was cool.
    I did too; it was fun watching the great camaraderie amongst the skaters. And, the skaters themselves seemed to be having a ball.

I think the Japanese Federation must have made a deal with the ISU -- they will only host this event and shell out big $$$, or actually ¥¥¥, if ISU can guarantee that there will be some good skaters and competitive excitement for the audience.
    The prize money is substantial, though; the monetary return to skaters is probably similar to top-tier shows that the skaters might have been participating in otherwise. But of course making the long trip to Asia is maybe not something every NA or European athlete wants to do (although these days it seems that's where most of the show money is anyway).
    Plus, if the team event is going to be an official Olympic event, then it's good for these individualistic skaters to practice playing like a team.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Nah, the monopolistic scumbags are just saying that you can't play sick, skip the World team thing, and then make a miraculous recovery just in time to skate in a show scheduled for the same day that pays more. Note that the time period for the "suspension" just covers the three weeks from worlds to the end of the team event.
    Traveling to another country to compete in a competition using your competitive programs is a huge investment of time and physical effort. For many skaters, it would be more convenient to recuperate at home and/or do some ice shows while preparing for the next season. This trumped up competition unnecessarily extends the season for the top skaters.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    I did too; it was fun watching the great camaraderie amongst the skaters. And, the skaters themselves seemed to be having a ball.
    Yes, they seemed to really enjoy it; plus they earned excellent prize money. Glad to see someone is willing to fund an event like this.

Custom Title
    For my share of that sort of $$$ prize money, I'd happily show up ready to rumble and toss in a little post-competition Japan sightseeing to boot. I'd even (as Johnny Weir says) be willing to change from a swan into a deck of cards!

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Traveling to another country to compete in a competition using your competitive programs is a huge investment of time and physical effort. For many skaters, it would be more convenient to recuperate at home and/or do some ice shows while preparing for the next season. This trumped up competition unnecessarily extends the season for the top skaters.
    I'm not sure why you are so angry, LOL? We used to have the Marshall's competition after Worlds and now we have this. Given that the team competition is actually an Olympic event now, it completely makes sense to have a yearly team competition. We get to see more skating and it's fun too - the atmosphere is different from normal competition since the skaters aren't competing for themselves; it allows some people to perform more freely. What's not to like?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Oh Marshalls
    But I thought it was held before Christmas..no?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    ^
    I suspect popularity of figure skating in Japan is over after the Sochi Olympic,when it seems Mao/Dai retires. Most of the audience is not a figure skating fan but one of individual skaters especially Mao or Dai. They have so much charisma in them and their characters are beloved. So ISU should search countries for money sources they'll need. I have a feeling it could be China because it's had strong pair skaters and now promising single skaters coming up like Zijun and Han Yan.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Oh Marshalls
    But I thought it was held before Christmas..no?
    There were two "Marshalls" events. One just before Christmas and one around the first of April. Sometimes these shows were sponsored by someone else besides Marshalls department stores, and had different names.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    ^
    Tickets are almost sold out.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast