Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: ISU World Team Trophy, April 2012, Tokyo

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    me too, I don't know why so many are jumping in the bandwagon that T/T are now a potential pairs Olympics podium
    they won bronze with the many mistakes of the other top pairs, I don't even think they will top this WTT, a clean B/L and D/R will outscore a clean T/T
    A potential is a potential. If they are clean, they have the potential to be on the podium. What don't you get?
    They won bronze with many mistakes themselves

Let's look at B/L. They have been on the senior level since 2007. How many times have they been to the GPF? 1. How many times have they been to Worlds? 3. What was their highest placement? 5th. No fluke after so many attempts?

If T/T were clean in the SP (get their normal level 3 flip twist, didn't double ft their throw), they would have beat B/L's PB in the SP.
    If T/T were clean in the LP (didn't get downgraded and -GOE on their 3Sal, didn't get -GOE on 3T, didnt' get negative GOE on their throws, they would beat B/L's PB in the LP.

Both scenarios, assuming their PCS stay the same. And their PCS were lower than B/L's, of all people. B/L should get 3 or 4 for their PE/CH/IN. They are constantly overscored.

D/R need more polish, but they have advantage over TES. But a clean D/R will not outscore a clean T/T.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ivy View Post
    So is intended to be an every year event? Every other year? Was supposed to happen in Tokyo last year but cancelled because of quake.
    ISU has announced that the following WTT will be held on April 11-14, 2013, in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodlepal View Post
    Does anyone know where this will be broadcast or streamed?
    FYI, per tweet today from @skatingpj [PJ Kwong]:
    ... hi - just double checked today and CBC is not covering World Team Trophy...
    4:24 PM - 13 Apr 12

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    ISU site has the WTT schedule in English:
    http://www.isuresults.com/events/WTT...ceSchedule.pdf
    [Yes, the original ISU url has a typo in "Practice".]

And I've copied and pasted below the text from the WTT announcement that was issued in Dec.
    The times of the competitions are the same below as in the PDF, but my disclaimer is that I have *not* cross-checked the times of practices, meetings, etc.
    21. EVENT SCHEDULE
    - Tuesday, April 17, 2012
    All day Arrival of teams
    - Wednesday, April 18, 2012
    07:00 Official Practice
    14:00 Team Leaders Meeting
    17:00 Referees and Technical Controllers Meeting
    18:00 Judges Meeting
    19:30 Opening Ceremony & Reception
    - Thursday, April 19, 2012
    08:30 Official Practice
    14:40 Opening Ceremony on Ice
    15:15 ICE DANCE Short Dance
    16:35 MEN Short Program
    18: 40 LADIES Short Program
    - Friday, April 20, 2012
    08:30 Official Practice
    15:00 PAIRS Short Program
    16:25 ICE DANCE Free Dance
    18:00 MEN Free Skating
    - Saturday, April 21, 2012
    Official Practice [no time specified]
    09:00 Round Table Discussion ICE DANCE
    10:15 Round Table Discussion MEN
    15:15 PAIRS Free Skating
    16:50 LADIES Free Skating
    App.18:35 Award Ceremony
    21:00 Prize Giving Ceremony and Closing Banquet
    - Sunday, April 22, 2012
    07:30 EXHIBITION practice
    09:30 Round Table Discussion PAIRS
    10:15 Round Table Discussion LADIES
    14:00 GALA EXHIBITION
    Subject to changes

Thank you, golden411!

Custom Title
    Reading their blog, I am afaird the Reeds, Japanese Dance team, may have to withdraw from the upcoming WTT...

After Worlds, they came back to New York and started their training to prepare for WTT without any problems, but now Chris has an inflammation in his right leg, once again. He tried a painkiller but it did not help at all. Then tried a compress with steroid paste (idk if it's the right English word, anyone?) and that seems in effect, helps to cut down the pain to some dgree.

His sister Cathy says in their blog that Chris had inflammation in his right leg two months ago, and his going back to full intensive trainings for Worlds too early, before having it fully healed, caused this time's re-inflammation.

While I apppreciate their every efforts to participate in the WTT after such a disappointing result at the recent Worlds, it sounds to me rather worrysome...WTT is not a Worlds or Olympic Games, you know. He had knee surgeries three times already at such young age, and had another surgery on his right foot this January. Health issue comes first. Chris should take care of his injury and rest enough as needed. I know the Reeds feel a sort of 'obligation' to the fed, because literally, they are the Japan's sole ice dance team on the international circiut. But I fear this kind of rushing things may backfire them and shorten their eligible career in the end...

What happens if the Reeds withdraws from WTT beforehand? No substitutes listed. Does that mean Japan does not fulfill the WTT requirements, so that Japan does not qualify to participate in WTT?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    What happens if the Reeds withdraws from WTT beforehand? No substitutes listed. Does that mean Japan does not fulfill the WTT requirements, so that Japan does not qualify to participate in WTT?
    Well....according to Wikipedia, Japan had three dance teams that were not the Reeds competing at their Nationals this year. Maybe the JSF will summon up Bryna Oi/Taiyo Mizutani at the last minute? Since the Japanese are forking over the cash for this event, I highly doubt they will withdraw their entire team.....

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Mizutani & Tsubara competed in the JGP last season...Mizutani is now ice dancing with Curran Oi's sister, and finished 1st at Japanese Nationals, since Cathy & Chris had withdrawn.

Junior skaters can also be used, if age eligible, and there was a team that competed in Juniors at Japanese Nationals, Komatsubara & Tsuji.

I don't know if they are ISU eligible...

Custom Title
    Thanks a lot, evangeline & doris.

I hope ISU allows Japan to add Oi/Mizutani as a substitite in the last minute if that is the case, and they are ISU eligible...Fingers crossed!

Here in Japan, Mao's absence from WTT this time already affected media's lesser attention on this event.
    If Japan is to withdraw as the whole team, I fear it only adds more damage, and we shall see lesser coverage on TV, also see emptier seats at the venue though tickets are sold out.

Ever since 2011 Worlds in Tokyo was canceled due to the quake and nuclear power plants accident, I was really looking forward to going to this event. Am sure many others feel the same way. I already took care of things at office with my colleagues, was ready to take off in the afternoons on Thu & Fri. Just fingers crossed.

Custom Title
    I do hope that things are covered as much as possible on TV in Japan, deedee1, so you can enjoy it and also can report to us!

Banned
    Here in Japan, Mao's absence from WTT this time already affected media's lesser attention on this event.
    True. They invited Miki to skate at gala. They want to have some more recent female megastar to be on the ice too, not Shizuka only who shows up at any event possible. But I think Miki would have probably beeb invited for gala anyway. As for withdrawing the whole team, I don't think even for a second that it's possible. No way!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I do hope that things are covered as much as possible on TV in Japan, deedee1, so you can enjoy it and also can report to us!
    Thanks Olympia!

Actually I am going! for three days except the Gala on Sunday.

Been a while since I attended an international competition last, which was Grand Prix Final in Tokyo end 2009. (I cannot affort expensive airfare or express trains, so normally I attend competitions in/near Tokyo area, only.)

Am looking forward to seeing world's top skaters live again, especially first time for my husband and me to see Carolina and Patrick live!
    Cannot do PBP but will surely drop a report here later.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Please do a report! It is probably the only opportunity we in the US will get to "see" the event!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Please do a report! It is probably the only opportunity we in the US will get to "see" the event!
    Canada as well..........no coverage that I know of. :(.

Rinkside
    Been looking everywhere for streaming - I know youtube will be on it quickly - but I have an insider that will be competing looking for a streaming scoop for us.

Banned
    Actually I am going! for three days except the Gala on Sunday.

Been a while since I attended an international competition last, which was Grand Prix Final in Tokyo end 2009.
    You should go to gala too! I still have hope that with the absence of Mao they will invite Yuzuru. I want to see him live again! I know he couldn't compete because he was injured. But gala is not a competiton. Well, it seems like my dreams will be dreams. Team Russia, with Leonova as a captain, is flying to Tokyo on 16th night. Hope they will have a good flight.
    Last edited by let`s talk; 04-17-2012 at 03:38 AM.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Regarding the question of whether Japan would have to withdraw from WTT if the team does not have healthy/eligible ice dancers:

~ Interesting that the ISU's official information re Sochi team event says: "Each Team must participate in at least 3 disciplines (Ladies/Men/Pair Skating/Ice Dance) of the Figure Skating Team Event."
    I hasten to add that I do not see any language like that in the WTT announcement.

~ Even if Japan had not qualified for WTT based on comparison of points, it already had received a bye to compete in WTT -- because of "a special provision for the host ISU Member to be included as Qualified Member."
    The following is wild, wild speculation, but if the Japanese men, ladies, and pair are allowed to skate, the absence of ice dancers would not necessarily affect the team's final overall result. In 2009, the US scored 60 points, Canada 54, Japan 50, France 37, Russia 35, China 34.
    I hope that the Reeds are able to compete, but if they place sixth, Japan will earn 7 points for ice dance.

ETA:
    I see that ISU has posted a WTT preview article today. It is a good overview of all things WTT: http://www2.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/p...0.html?id=1054
    (And FWIW, it still includes Japan and the Reeds. )
    Last edited by golden411; 04-16-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: added linke for today's ISU preview article

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast