ISU World Team Trophy, April 2012, Tokyo | Page 8 | Golden Skate

ISU World Team Trophy, April 2012, Tokyo

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If finishing top 10 at Worlds is a primary requirement, that leaves Alissa out and Ashley in. Of the other US ladies, Nagasu is next in rank, then Flatt, then Zhang.

If the 2009/2010 ISU Ranking data is purged and the 2010/2011 data is cut to 70% of its value before WTT, then the order is: Czisny, Wagner, Nagasu, Zawadzki, Zhang

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
I would love to see Maia & Alex go and kind of "redeem" their programs after Worlds. Then again, they might be totally ready to move on to brand-new programs. I feel like Meryl & Charlie might just want to move on as well and decline going. If a top 10 finish is required then any of the teams this year could go :)

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I want Ross to go. I think he is better or on par with Adam and this would be a nice experience :)

centerpt1

On the Ice
I want Ross to go. I think he is better or on par with Adam and this would be a nice experience :)

Ross probably had been training his programs as he was an alternate to worlds. Plus- if you are looking at current season's rankings, he is ahead of Adam now. But, it is likely the WTT team was already determined prior to Worlds.

icellist

On the Ice
Wouldn't usfsa send mirai nagasu or Caroline zhang and Ross miner? Theyre the ones that qualified points for wtt right? At Gps and 4cc. Forced to send Jeremy ashley Davis/white and denney/coughlin

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Ice dance and pair team are obvious. The best at U.S. Nationals were also the best at Worlds. For the men, it will be Jeremy and either Adam or Ross. I would say probably Adam. For the ladies, it will be Ashley and a skater to be named later. I really don't think they will send Alissa.

Does anyone know whether the skaters are looking forward to this? It seems like it would be a sup-par event coming just as the last bit of momentum from Worlds drains away.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Does anyone know whether the skaters are looking forward to this? It seems like it would be a sup-par event coming just as the last bit of momentum from Worlds drains away.

Going by past experiences, I think the skaters look forward to an enjoyable and fun event, with supportive comraderie and friendly rivalries. The atmosphere is much different from the solitary nowhere-to-hide centre-of-the-universe pressure and demand. I hope their team's cheering and, for some, redemption opportunity will spur the skaters on to great performances.

If I remember correctly, in the 2009 event Belbin and Agosto were not enthusiastic about an event that extended an already too long season. But they went anyway, won, and said later that they had a great time.

For one thing, skating before a full house of enthusiastic fans is always an upper.

Edited to add. The sanctions on top ten skaters who skip this event are not very severe if the skaters just say that they are exhausted and do not feel able to compete at their best. What they prevent is a skater blowing off this ISU event to go on a port-worlds exhibition tour instead.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nagasu has recently tweeted that she's been training by herself, but not doing her programs. So I doubt that USFS will choose her for WTT.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
This came up on the first page of this thread - this was my response then. It looked to me like the skaters had fun and got some nice prize money in a low pressure-situation. IIRC, at least one or two French skaters spoke earlier this season about how they hoped to qualify for it again.

Actually, on recalling that this event is rescheduled from last year after having been cancelled due to the earthquake, I think there should be a lot of joy this year, especially after Japan did so well at Worlds (apart from poor Mao). Please excuse me if this is somewhere else but does anyone know if it will be viewable live outside Japan? There's nothing on IN or isu.org as far as I can see.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Please excuse me if this is somewhere else but does anyone know if it will be viewable live outside Japan? There's nothing on IN or isu.org as far as I can see.

What often happens is that we think we won't be able to watch. Then the day of the event, somebody comes up with a live feed from some obscure web page nobody ever heard of.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Actually, on recalling that this event is rescheduled from last year after having been cancelled due to the earthquake, I think there should be a lot of joy this year, especially after Japan did so well at Worlds (apart from poor Mao). Please excuse me if this is somewhere else but does anyone know if it will be viewable live outside Japan? There's nothing on IN or isu.org as far as I can see.

Love your point about Japan being able to host this event a year later, Spun Silver! Absolutely a cause for joy. :agree:

What often happens is that we think we won't be able to watch. Then the day of the event, somebody comes up with a live feed from some obscure web page nobody ever heard of.

Yes, many thanks to those who posted links for Nice. :bow: Fingers crossed for WTT.

[FYI, I seem to recall that during one of the CBC online chats for Worlds, people were asking PJ Kwong and the male moderator (sorry, don't know his name) whether CBC would be airing and/or streaming WTT. They didn't have an answer yet -- didn't rule it out or in. If they do have anything online, I imagine that it once again will be geoblocked for those of us outside Canada. :eek:hwell:.]

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Actually I am a little nervous as there are indications of impending quakes in Japan. But the event will be held in Tokyo, right? The buildings there are earthquake proof. The main cause of the disaster last year was not the quake but the Tsunami and resulting nuclear meltdowns.

Yeah... I just hope it won't be one of those that requires you to download mystery software and has a bazillion popups and gross ads. I hate that. Don't mean to kvetch, though. I am grateful, I am grateful!

Actually I am a little nervous as there are indications of impending quakes in Japan. But the event will be held in Tokyo, right? The buildings there are earthquake proof. The main cause of the disaster last year was not the quake but the Tsunami and resulting nuclear meltdowns.
*Hits head.* Of course I meant to say the tsunami. Thank you.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Earthquakes in Japan (even without tsunamis) might cause some disruptions to power.