ISU World Team Trophy, April 2012, Tokyo | Golden Skate

ISU World Team Trophy, April 2012, Tokyo

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
From another forum....

Ref the world team figure skating challange in tokio in april.....

3.2 Consequences of non-participation
It is of the highest importance that Rule 136 paragraph 6 of the ISU General Regulations be respected and implemented by all ISU Members and Skaters.
To be in compliance with Rule 136, paragraph 6, the following directive is issued by the ISU Council. Any Skater/Couple from a Qualified ISU Member, who placed within the first ten (10) places at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2012 and is ranked in the ISU World Standings among the best 2 Lady Single Skaters, best 2 Men Single Skaters, the best Pair Skating couple and the best Ice Dance couple of his/her/their respective Qualified ISU Member, if this Skater/Couple elects in advance of the ISU World Team Trophy not to participate in the ISU World Team Trophy (for whatever reason), he/she/they will not be permitted to participate in any other competitions, shows, and exhibitions from Monday noon (April 2, 2012) after the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2012, during the ISU World Team Trophy, and until April 23, 2012.
In addition, depending on the circumstances, the concerned Skater/Couple and Members may be subject to sanctions in accordance with Rule 136, paragraph 6 of the General Regulations.

Feel the love......

Didnt MK and the USFSA get a nastygram one year when she decided to not do the GP circuit?

ivy

On the Ice
I had never really heard of this competition till last year and remember reading that language in the rules then. Seems like the ISU is really, really trying to make this one matter. But by April, it's nice outside here, Worlds are over, my attention turns elsewhere. Also the 'team' aspect is little forced. hmmmm - maybe if this was in fall instead of the Japan Open I'd care more. Give skaters a chance to to dry run new programs where there is less on the line individually?

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I'm really not into this concept at all.:disapp: I'm willing to be convinced it's a good idea... but I haven't seen anything to convince me yet..

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am keeping an open mind about this. One could be cynical and say this is just another way to make money for the ISU by holding a gun to the heads of the top skaters...on the other hand, it could be a fun competition.
Maybe it will come to Colorado Springs some day!

Nadine

Record Breaker
I'm actually more interested and a heck of a lot more excited about the Team competition come Sochi 2014. Seriously, I can't wait! :party: Like with Gymnastics, I'm wondering who will come through for the team :) and who won't :( Who will win the very first Figure Skating Team Competition in 2014? ???

For now I will content myself with the Team Challenge. :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The "for whatever reason" gets me to :eek:. And the possible additional sanctions, :sheesh:

As a fan, however, I'm glad for another event and a longer season. Top skaters have to work more but may earn more as well. How much are the prizes?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Prize money in 2009 was pretty major - $1 million total, making it the most lucrative event on the ISU calendar. Some skaters said they were not made aware of it in time (Tanith Belbin) and were pressured to take part (Scott Moir), though the skaters who took part seem to have enjoyed it.

Here are some of the IDC pics from the 2009 competition, a compilation of the French team's K&C antics (sorry about he crap sound quality), and some high fashion from Team USA. Nobody seems to be suffering much... :biggrin:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It will probably be a lot of fun and less pressured for the individual skaters having a team to cheer them on, unless the anchor is expected to turn the fortune around for the team. Will the coaches be there? Are they as needed? Joannie has expressed interest so maybe she will compete here but not at Worlds.

$1 million may sound like much but it will be shared by so many teams and members of all disciplines.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I remember watching the 2009 competition on television. All of the skaters seemed like they were having a lot of fun. I think Team USA won in 2009, not sure tho.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
looks like blackmailing, lol
well I understand they want this Team Trophy Challenge to be successful
and only want the best in the world ( top 10 only )

tulosai

Record Breaker
Possibly OT but have the teams been named yet? Do we know who is competing?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think most skaters weren't prepared for the 2009 event and were quite tired after Worlds. Team Canada, and Patrick Chan, came last at 4th. Chan said he was really tired and also didn't travel well then. But he was all gun ho for it last year, forgoing 4CC, wanting to win for Canada as well as the prize money. I think being prepared for it and the prospect of sizable prize money should motivate skaters to do well, while enjoying themselves with their own teams and even friends from competing teams.

eta. Ooops, I see Canada didn't come last but second. I wasn't even aware of the event and missed it completely.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
It will probably be a lot of fun and less pressured for the individual skaters having a team to cheer them on, unless the anchor is expected to turn the fortune around for the team. Will the coaches be there? Are they as needed? Joannie has expressed interest so maybe she will compete here but not at Worlds.

$1 million may sound like much but it will be shared by so many teams and members of all disciplines.
I don't know if coaches are needed, but there were certainly several coaches there in 2009 - you can see Igor Shpilband, Alexei Mishin and Tom Z, to name a few, in some of the links I posted.

It probably works out to less money than the medalists win at Worlds, but more than any other event or placement.

ETA: I would love to see Joannie there. It would have the added benefit of allowing her to get a minimum score for next season.

I remember watching the 2009 competition on television. All of the skaters seemed like they were having a lot of fun. I think Team USA won in 2009, not sure tho.
It was:
1. USA - Lysacek, Abbott, Flatt, Zhang, Denney/Barrett and Belbin/Agosto
2. Canada - Chan, Chipeur, Rochette, Phaneuf, Dube/Davison (he dropped her during the gala) and Virtue/Moir
3. Japan - Kozuka, Oda, Ando, Asada, Takahashi/Tran and the Reeds
4. France - Joubert, Amodio, the Didiers (Candice and Gwendolyn) James/Bonheur and Pechalat/Bourzat
5. Russia - Voronov, Menshov, Leonova, Gerboldt (pre-pairs), Kavaguti (then going by Kawaguchi)/Smirnov and Khokhlova/Novitski
6. China - I can't for the life of me remember who was on the Chinese team other than possibly the Zhangs.

Lysacek was first in the men's. I can't recall what happened in the other disciplines.

Last edited:

ivy

On the Ice
So is intended to be an every year event? Every other year? Was supposed to happen in Tokyo last year but cancelled because of quake. According to Wikipedia Japanese Fed paid the prize money out in 2009. Is that the case this year?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
^
yes, Japan mostly shoulders the expenses like how they do for Japan Open
at least their purse and love for FS is generosity enough

Serious Business

Record Breaker
The ISU is holding skaters' Olympic eligibility ransom in order to force them to participate in ISU events. While this is not new, this is yet another instance of it. Monopolist scum. :frown: I also find it really hard to give a damn about an unimportant competition so soon after Worlds where skaters will skate their by now thoroughly tired programs one more time.

The "for whatever reason" gets me to :eek:.

The ISU is holding skaters' Olympic eligibility ransom in order to force them to participate in ISU events....Monopolist scum.

Nah, the monopolistic scumbags are just saying that you can't play sick, skip the World team thing, and then make a miraculous recovery just in time to skate in a show scheduled for the same day that pays more. Note that the time period for the "suspension" just covers the three weeks from worlds to the end of the team event.

ivy said:
So is intended to be an every year event? Every other year? Was supposed to happen in Tokyo last year but cancelled because of quake. According to Wikipedia Japanese Fed paid the prize money out in 2009. Is that the case this year?

Only two were scheduled, one in 2009 and then again in 2011, both in Japan. After that, "we'll see."

It is highly unlikely that this event will ever be held anywhere else except Japan. Following post 16 by sky_fly20, this is a made-for-TV show paid for by Japanese television and corporate sponsers, filtering the money through the Japanese Federation. No other federation can raise the money required to put it on and pay the prizes.

I thought he 2009 event was cool. :cool: