Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: ISU World Team Trophy, April 2012, Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I think they are 'required' to send their 2 best skaters as determined by world ranking. Technically that's still Ash and Alissa. Does Alissa's terrible performance change anything in terms of the rules? Who is the third best in terms of world ranking? Is it still Mirai?
    If that's the case the team would be Alissa and Mirai. Rachael would be 1st alternate followed by Wagner.

Here's the current world rankings after 2012 Worlds:

http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsladies.htm

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I think they are 'required' to send their 2 best skaters as determined by world ranking. Technically that's still Ash and Alissa. Does Alissa's terrible performance change anything in terms of the rules? Who is the third best in terms of world ranking? Is it still Mirai?
    Back in 2009, the top 2 US ladies at Worlds were Rachael and Alissa, but the USFSA sent Rachael and Caroline to the WTT. The ranking system is different than the normal world standings.

Custom Title
    Referring to the OP, the 2 top ranked skaters or best Pair/Dance team cannot elect to op out in advance lest they are not allowed to skate elsewhere and are subject further penalty. I'm not sure if that means the federation is required to send them. Need the official memo to study like a lawyer.

The ISU seems mostly interested in the top ten at Worlds.

To be in compliance with Rule 136, paragraph 6, the following directive is issued by the ISU Council. Any Skater/Couple from a Qualified ISU Member, who placed within the first ten (10) places at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2012 and is ranked in the ISU World Standings among the best 2 Lady Single Skaters, best 2 Men Single Skaters, the best Pair Skating couple and the best Ice Dance couple of his/her/their respective Qualified ISU Member, if this Skater/Couple elects in advance of the ISU World Team Trophy not to participate in the ISU World Team Trophy (for whatever reason), he/she/they will not be permitted to participate in any other competitions, shows, and exhibitions from Monday noon (April 2, 2012) after the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2012, during the ISU World Team Trophy, and until April 23, 2012.
    The other provisions about federations being expected to send the top-ranked skaters are more vague and do not seem likely to be enforced as long as a federation makes a good faith effort to send a strong team.

Before worlds I thought USFSA would just go straight down the list with Ashley and Alissa, Jeremy and Adam. Now I think they won't send Alissa and she won't want to go anyway. Caroline Zhang would be a great choice. It might also depend on who is fit and trained enough to do it on short notice.

Custom Title
    The US has a lot of leeway and fudging room on whom to send. The singles that is.

Custom Title
    If finishing top 10 at Worlds is a primary requirement, that leaves Alissa out and Ashley in. Of the other US ladies, Nagasu is next in rank, then Flatt, then Zhang.

If the 2009/2010 ISU Ranking data is purged and the 2010/2011 data is cut to 70% of its value before WTT, then the order is: Czisny, Wagner, Nagasu, Zawadzki, Zhang

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    I would love to see Maia & Alex go and kind of "redeem" their programs after Worlds. Then again, they might be totally ready to move on to brand-new programs. I feel like Meryl & Charlie might just want to move on as well and decline going. If a top 10 finish is required then any of the teams this year could go

I want Ross to go. I think he is better or on par with Adam and this would be a nice experience

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    I want Ross to go. I think he is better or on par with Adam and this would be a nice experience
    Ross probably had been training his programs as he was an alternate to worlds. Plus- if you are looking at current season's rankings, he is ahead of Adam now. But, it is likely the WTT team was already determined prior to Worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    But, it is likely the WTT team was already determined prior to Worlds.
    If it was, the USFSA is now re-thinking the teams.

Custom Title
    Wouldn't usfsa send mirai nagasu or Caroline zhang and Ross miner? Theyre the ones that qualified points for wtt right? At Gps and 4cc. Forced to send Jeremy ashley Davis/white and denney/coughlin

Custom Title
    Ice dance and pair team are obvious. The best at U.S. Nationals were also the best at Worlds. For the men, it will be Jeremy and either Adam or Ross. I would say probably Adam. For the ladies, it will be Ashley and a skater to be named later. I really don't think they will send Alissa.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Does anyone know whether the skaters are looking forward to this? It seems like it would be a sup-par event coming just as the last bit of momentum from Worlds drains away.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Does anyone know whether the skaters are looking forward to this? It seems like it would be a sup-par event coming just as the last bit of momentum from Worlds drains away.
    Going by past experiences, I think the skaters look forward to an enjoyable and fun event, with supportive comraderie and friendly rivalries. The atmosphere is much different from the solitary nowhere-to-hide centre-of-the-universe pressure and demand. I hope their team's cheering and, for some, redemption opportunity will spur the skaters on to great performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    If I remember correctly, in the 2009 event Belbin and Agosto were not enthusiastic about an event that extended an already too long season. But they went anyway, won, and said later that they had a great time.

For one thing, skating before a full house of enthusiastic fans is always an upper.

Edited to add. The sanctions on top ten skaters who skip this event are not very severe if the skaters just say that they are exhausted and do not feel able to compete at their best. What they prevent is a skater blowing off this ISU event to go on a port-worlds exhibition tour instead.
    Last edited by Mathman; 04-03-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast