ISU World Team Trophy, April 2012, Tokyo | Page 10 | Golden Skate

ISU World Team Trophy, April 2012, Tokyo

ice coverage

Record Breaker
How sweet is this? Kristi Yamaguchi and Gracie Gold have exchanged tweets about Gold's selection:

Kristi Yamaguchi ‏ @kristiyamaguchi
"Congrats @GraceEGold for being chosen to represent @ World Team Trophy! Good luck to u & #TeamUSA in Japan!"

Gracie Gold ‏ @GraceEGold
"@kristiyamaguchi Thanks! I'm so excited :)"
6:48 PM - 6 Apr 12

enlight78

Medalist
Evan was team captain last in 2009, I wonder will Charlie White be team captain this time since dance where the only ones to medal at worlds this year, Patrick Chan will proably be captain for Canada, Brian for France, Kostner for Italy, Daisuke for Japan, have no idea about Russia.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
It will give Gold, 16, reigning U.S. junior champion and world junior silver medalist, her first taste of international senior competition in a relatively low-key event that marks the end of the figure skating season.

The FFSG did the same thing with Amodio in 2009 - the WTT, I think, was his senior debut, though there were higher-ranked French skaters. He didn't skate particularly well, but it allowed him to make this debut as part of a team and with little pressure. Much better than sending a young skater to Worlds as their first event, which some people were suggesting for Gold.

ETA: I guess we already have one entry for next year's music thread: Although she will be using the 2011-12 programs at the World Team Trophy, Gold has picked music for next year: a tango to "Hernando's Hideaway" for the short and excerpts from the score to the film "Life is Beautiful" for the long.

Evan was team captain last in 2009, I wonder will Charlie White be team captain this time since dance where the only ones to medal at worlds this year, Patrick Chan will proably be captain for Canada, Brian for France, Kostner for Italy, Daisuke for Japan, have no idea about Russia.
Not that it's very important who'll be captain (I'm not sure they have to do much), but why Charlie and not Meryl? I don't think he won that medal on his own. :biggrin: And for Team Canada, they could have Tessa or Scott do it; they're more accomplished than Patrick, if you think about it. For Russia, maybe Leonova? She's one of only two returning Russian skaters from the 2009 WTT, and of course has had a great season.

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
i'm really excited to see her compete here. i wonder if after junior worlds she stopped training because she thought she was done for the season or if the USFSA told her she might be chosen. it will be interesting to see how she holds up with senior length programs. i hope she does well. will this be broadcasted anywhere on the internet? and is there a schedule available?

^ NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! The grown-ups should just get off the ice and turn it over to the kids. :rock: :laugh:

enlight78

Medalist
Not that it's very important who'll be captain (I'm not sure they have to do much), but why Charlie and not Meryl? I don't think he won that medal on his own. :biggrin: And for Team Canada, they could have Tessa or Scott do it; they're more accomplished than Patrick, if you think about it. For Russia, maybe Leonova? She's one of only two returning Russian skaters from the 2009 WTT, and of course has had a great season.

Your right, I would have to say the team captains are more like head cheerleaders, leaders of team moral. It could easly be Meryl, didn't mean to come off sexist. And I can definitely see Lenova. I forgot she participated last time.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Your right, I would have to say the team captains are more like head cheerleaders, leaders of team moral. It could easly be Meryl, didn't mean to come off sexist. And I can definitely see Lenova. I forgot she participated last time.

or Caydee- she was there in 2009, as was Jeremy

Kissx3

Final Flight
Then why would they choose Vanessa as the alternate?

I agree with this. I don't think they'd pass over Caroline and not at least make her an alternate. The most logical explanation is that she turned it down. Whatever on Zawadski, both Zhang and Gold should be ahead of her in the pecking order at this point.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

... Not that it's very important who'll be captain (I'm not sure they have to do much), but why Charlie and not Meryl? I don't think he won that medal on his own. :biggrin: And for Team Canada, they could have Tessa or Scott do it; they're more accomplished than Patrick, if you think about it. ...

Your right, I would have to say the team captains are more like head cheerleaders, leaders of team moral. It could easly be Meryl, didn't mean to come off sexist. ...

Tessa and Meryl both would be great as captains of their respective teams. (In an interview at the beginning of the season, Tessa made a lovely comment to the effect that V/M welcome the responsibility of serving as leaders among the Canadian skaters, after so many years of being the youngest or nearly so. [She was referring to general leadership, not specifically at WTT.])

OTOH, Scott was captain for Canada at 2009 WTT. If Charlie and he are the 2012 captains, no doubt that they especially would enjoy raising the stakes a little in their friendly (genuinely friendly, I believe) rivalry, eh? :)

Last edited:

altuixde

On the Ice
I hope no one minds if I talk about a topic that was discussed much earlier in this thread (how exactly the team event would be structured during the Olympics). Here's my idea: how about the skaters' performances from the individual (or two person in the case of pairs and dance) events count towards the team standing. There would be no separate team event. Only countries with at least one man, lady, pair and dance team would be eligible to win. Also, the skaters whose scores will count towards the team standing have to be chosen by their federations before competition begins.

I enjoyed watching the World Team Trophy in 2009, and the skaters appeared to enjoy competing in it as well, but I think that having a team event and individual events at the same competition (i.e. the Olympics) is too much for the skaters, and repetitious for the viewers.

My apologies if someone has posted this already. I've only read the first five pages of this thread so far (there's a lot of pages!).

Oh, and this is my first post! :)

Edit: I just recalled that someone mentioned a rule that more than one medal cannot be awarded for the same performance... oops.
Edit 2: Someone did post this already...

Last edited: