Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: ISU World Team Trophy, April 2012, Tokyo

Custom Title
    Excuse me for sounding rude, but what is the purpose of this? It's mandatory for all the top skaters to go to it, but it's not even being shown on the Internet? This is just a fun contest for the Japanese, who have the most dedicated fans now?

It seems like an awful lot of work to put on a show that nobody's watching in most of the world.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It used to have the biggest purse in skating, so it paid for the skaters to go.
    Plus it earns ISU points & qualifying scores, and for skaters who didn't go to Worlds, that's big.

Is IN going to broadcast it?

In any case, it ends up on youtube rapidly, because Japanese fans are wonderful

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodlepal View Post
    Excuse me for sounding rude, but what is the purpose of this? It's mandatory for all the top skaters to go to it, but it's not even being shown on the Internet? This is just a fun contest for the Japanese, who have the most dedicated fans now?

It seems like an awful lot of work to put on a show that nobody's watching in most of the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    It used to have the biggest purse in skating, so it paid for the skaters to go.
    Plus it earns ISU points & qualifying scores, and for skaters who didn't go to Worlds, that's big. ...
    And isn't getting all parties involved more accustomed to the concept of team competition also a goal of this year's WTT -- in preparation for the Sochi 2014 team event?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Golden., yes., that's true.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Actually I am a little nervous as there are indications of impending quakes in Japan. But the event will be held in Tokyo, right? The buildings there are earthquake proof. The main cause of the disaster last year was not the quake but the Tsunami and resulting nuclear meltdowns.
    Nothing is really earthquake proof - maybe resistant. Just like bullet proof is bullet resistant. You don't want to learn the hard way

Rinkside
    The US announced their team for WTT today. Looks like Gracie Gold is in and Alissa is out! Smart move I think! Here's the full team:

Meryl Davis and Charlie White
    Ashley Wagner
    Gracie Gold
    Jeremy Abbott
    Caydee Denney and John Coughlin
    Adam Rippon

It's an awesome low-stress way to introduce her to international senior fans/judges.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    It's an awesome low-stress way to introduce her to international senior fans/judges.
    I'm excited for Gracie! It will also give her the opportunity to assert her presence among U.S. skaters. Obviously the fed has a lot of faith in her for choosing her over other U.S. skaters, but if she skates well here, surely she'll get some GP invites. (And also we will have a sense how Gracie will fare internationally compared to others U.S. senior ladies, apples-to-apples.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Obviously the fed has a lot of faith in her for choosing her over other U.S. skaters, but if she skates well here, surely she'll get some GP invites. (And also we will have a sense how Gracie will fare internationally compared to others U.S. senior ladies, apples-to-apples.)
    The USFSA chose her over other skaters ............... or other skaters declined.

Custom Title
    I agree this is a great way to introduce Gracie to Senior competitions. I hope she will have her Senior Programs ready. She may earn some nice money too.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    The USFSA chose her over other skaters ............... or other skaters declined.
    That's true. But it's noteworthy she was even considered in the first place given that she had never done a senior-level program.

I think she will have a great chance to do well here.

Custom Title
    I wonder if Gracie fails to deliver will people who have been hailing her as the US savior go into a deep depression all summer long? Without Gracie there is no hope left for the US.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I wonder if Gracie fails to deliver will people who have been hailing her as the US savior go into a deep depression all summer long? Without Gracie there is no hope left for the US.
    Come on, be a little more compassionate please. After Nice, the USFS will take any good news they can get or spin. Otherwise, more predictions of apocalypses (to the CoP) will be coming soon!

Custom Title
    I imagine other skater's declined. Alissa was not ready for any kind of competition after last week's disaster. As for Agnes and Caroline i would imagine they declined though i would think they might have wanted one more event to show what they can do. But i can't blame them if they want to take some time off before next season.

Banned
    Gracie,
    but will she use that horrible sp music from junior worlds ?

I think its the first one not the latter

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast