Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: ISU World Team Trophy, April 2012, Tokyo

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by enlight78 View Post
    Evan was team captain last in 2009, I wonder will Charlie White be team captain this time since dance where the only ones to medal at worlds this year, Patrick Chan will proably be captain for Canada, Brian for France, Kostner for Italy, Daisuke for Japan, have no idea about Russia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    ... Not that it's very important who'll be captain (I'm not sure they have to do much), but why Charlie and not Meryl? I don't think he won that medal on his own. And for Team Canada, they could have Tessa or Scott do it; they're more accomplished than Patrick, if you think about it. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by enlight78 View Post
    Your right, I would have to say the team captains are more like head cheerleaders, leaders of team moral. It could easly be Meryl, didn't mean to come off sexist. ...
    Tessa and Meryl both would be great as captains of their respective teams. (In an interview at the beginning of the season, Tessa made a lovely comment to the effect that V/M welcome the responsibility of serving as leaders among the Canadian skaters, after so many years of being the youngest or nearly so. [She was referring to general leadership, not specifically at WTT.])

OTOH, Scott was captain for Canada at 2009 WTT. If Charlie and he are the 2012 captains, no doubt that they especially would enjoy raising the stakes a little in their friendly (genuinely friendly, I believe) rivalry, eh?
    Last edited by golden411; 04-07-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Grammar improvement

Medalist
    I hope no one minds if I talk about a topic that was discussed much earlier in this thread (how exactly the team event would be structured during the Olympics). Here's my idea: how about the skaters' performances from the individual (or two person in the case of pairs and dance) events count towards the team standing. There would be no separate team event. Only countries with at least one man, lady, pair and dance team would be eligible to win. Also, the skaters whose scores will count towards the team standing have to be chosen by their federations before competition begins.

I enjoyed watching the World Team Trophy in 2009, and the skaters appeared to enjoy competing in it as well, but I think that having a team event and individual events at the same competition (i.e. the Olympics) is too much for the skaters, and repetitious for the viewers.

My apologies if someone has posted this already. I've only read the first five pages of this thread so far (there's a lot of pages!).

Oh, and this is my first post!

Edit: I just recalled that someone mentioned a rule that more than one medal cannot be awarded for the same performance... oops.
    Edit 2: Someone did post this already...
    Last edited by altuixde; 04-07-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks for jumping in, altuixde. Welcome to Golden Skate.

Medalist
    Thanks Mathman!

I can't wait for the 2012 WTT to start. My bet this year is on team Japan.

^ Me, too. I think Japan's second man and second lady will be the deciding factors.

Custom Title
    Didn't Japan start this WT format, with two Men and two Ladies and one Pairs and one Dance team? They won't have quite the same advantage comes Sochi Olympics, with one skater/team from each discipline. Canada, OTOH, could up their chances if Joannie would skate for the Team.

Custom Title
    Japan is not a factor of the team event at Sochi. There's no pair to begin with. It seems that they worked with the ISU, made it possible to participate with entries in three disciplines.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Japan is not a factor of the team event at Sochi. There's no pair to begin with. It seems that they worked with the ISU, made it possible to participate with entries in three disciplines.
    Mervin said he will decide rather he will take Japan citizenship and give up his Canadian citizenship this summer after WTT, So they may barely have a pair team just in time for Sochi. I hope the JSF doesn't put to much pressure on him to do it though.

Custom Title
    I've not had time to read the whole thread so maybe you've already talked about it, but I can't remember how does the singles competition work. Do all of them skate their short program, the long program, or one of them the short and the other one the long?

Medalist
    In the upcoming 2012 World Team Trophy all skaters will skate both the short and the free. It will be similar to the 2009 WTT.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sigrid View Post
    I've not had time to read the whole thread so maybe you've already talked about it, but I can't remember how does the singles competition work. Do all of them skate their short program, the long program, or one of them the short and the other one the long?
    In the previous WTT in 2009, each skater performed both their short and long programs. Then, the combined points for the programs were used to rank skaters in each discipline and award them points.

Tripping on the Podium
    does anyone know how the team trophy team members will be selected at the Olympics?

I also agree that Japan will not be a factor in the olympic team event. Even if they get T/T, what about ice dance? There is no one that can challenge the other nations who will be participating.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Srin Odessa View Post
    In the previous WTT in 2009, each skater performed both their short and long programs. Then, the combined points for the programs were used to rank skaters in each discipline and award them points.
    Quote Originally Posted by altuixde View Post
    In the upcoming 2012 World Team Trophy all skaters will skate both the short and the free. It will be similar to the 2009 WTT.
    Thank you both!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkusNJ View Post
    does anyone know how the team trophy team members will be selected at the Olympics?
    There is a complicated procedure (based on placement at Worlds, Grand Prix, etc.) for determining which ten countries will be allowed to participate. Once a country is in, as far as I can tell the National Federation of that country choses which skaters will comprise the national team. Only skaters who are already entered in the individual events can skate in the team event.

All ten countries send a skater to compete in the short program/short dance. The top five counties move on the the finals. For the most part the same skaters will do the LP, but the team can make two substitutions for the long program.

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast