ISU World Team Trophy, April 2012, Tokyo | Page 15 | Golden Skate

ISU World Team Trophy, April 2012, Tokyo

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Please do a report! It is probably the only opportunity we in the US will get to "see" the event!

Boo67

Rinkside
Been looking everywhere for streaming - I know youtube will be on it quickly - but I have an insider that will be competing looking for a streaming scoop for us.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Actually I am going! :yay: for three days except the Gala on Sunday.

Been a while since I attended an international competition last, which was Grand Prix Final in Tokyo end 2009.
You should go to gala too! I still have hope that with the absence of Mao they will invite Yuzuru. I want to see him live again! I know he couldn't compete because he was injured. But gala is not a competiton. Well, it seems like my dreams will be dreams. Team Russia, with Leonova as a captain, is flying to Tokyo on 16th night. Hope they will have a good flight.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Regarding the question of whether Japan would have to withdraw from WTT if the team does not have healthy/eligible ice dancers:

~ Interesting that the ISU's official information re Sochi team event says: "Each Team must participate in at least 3 disciplines (Ladies/Men/Pair Skating/Ice Dance) of the Figure Skating Team Event."
I hasten to add that I do not see any language like that in the WTT announcement.

~ Even if Japan had not qualified for WTT based on comparison of points, it already had received a bye to compete in WTT -- because of "a special provision for the host ISU Member to be included as Qualified Member."
The following is wild, wild speculation, but if the Japanese men, ladies, and pair are allowed to skate, the absence of ice dancers would not necessarily affect the team's final overall result. In 2009, the US scored 60 points, Canada 54, Japan 50, France 37, Russia 35, China 34.
I hope that the Reeds are able to compete, but if they place sixth, Japan will earn 7 points for ice dance.

ETA:
I see that ISU has posted a WTT preview article today. It is a good overview of all things WTT: http://www2.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/...3,4844-205151-222374-nav-list,00.html?id=1054
(And FWIW, it still includes Japan and the Reeds. :) )

Last edited:

Simoncat

Rinkside
they can switch federations and skate for Canada, Mervin is canadian and his partner has already been living in Canada for 5 years the coaching team is canadian as well.

There have been a few comments in Canadian publications that it is time to bring Mervin Tran back skating for Canada and get him a Canadian partner.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The WTT prize money is generous not only in its amount ($1M) but also in its rather even distribution so any participant will wins an nice equitable amount. A winning team member will win $25,000 while a skater from the last placed team will receive $16,250, assuming a prize is shared equally by all eight members including each of the Pairs and Dance partners. This is such an opportunity for some skaters not usually on the big event podium.

Becki

Medalist
There have been a few comments in Canadian publications that it is time to bring Mervin Tran back skating for Canada and get him a Canadian partner.

I think Takahashi and Tran are a good match, and have so much appeal as a team. Mervin wouldn't be the same with a different partner - he would lose his appeal imho.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The WTT prize money is generous not only in its amount ($1M) but also in its rather even distribution so any participant will wins an nice equitable amount. A winning team member will win $25,000 while a skater from the last placed team will receive $16,250, assuming a prize is shared equally by all eight members including each of the Pairs and Dance partners. This is such an opportunity for some skaters not usually on the big event podium.

ITA that WTT is a good opportunity for skaters in terms of prize money. Two little details for those who care about the fine print:
- The skating federation of each country is allowed to keep up to 10% of the team's prize money.
- And the shares of the eight skaters are not exactly equal. Each singles skater receives 15% of the remaining amount. Each pair or dance couple receives 20%.

(The Japanese federation also is paying for travel expenses for skaters, judges, etc. - from all teams.)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
In revision, a winning team Single member's take will be $30K, and $40 per couple, and the lowest prizes will be $19,500/Single and $26K/couple. Not bad at all, for figure skaters. Especially when it is net. :thumbsup:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Updates on skaters:

-Kanako
Hitting 3-3 a couple pf times. Looked delighted and in a great shape.
Was all smiling and doing some funny steps! :)

-Patrick
Showed up in the Mens practice today.
Though it took him 13 hrs flight to Japan, he slept very well last night, he said.
Hitting 4T. Looks in a great shape, too. :agree:

You can also follow the TV Asahi's official twitter, though it's in Japanese:

https://twitter.com/#!/figureskate5ch

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Here is hoping Patrick putting behind him the pressures and the distress of coaching change to bring us a flawless Aranjuez! And it better be uploaded to Youtube. Pronto. :biggrin:

Wishing all skaters a great time and their best skates!

The skating federation of each country is allowed to keep up to 10% of the team's prize money.

That is an interesting rule. I believe the wording is that the federation can take no more than ten per cent. (In the past, some federations, like Russia, tended to take the whole thing in such shows. Maria Butyrskaya in particular lost a bundle over the years that wound in Piseev's pocket.) I wonder how much, if any, the various federations will actually take.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That is an interesting rule. I believe the wording is that the federation can take no more than ten per cent. (In the past, some federations, like Russia, tended to take the whole thing in such shows. Maria Butyrskaya in particular lost a bundle over the years that wound in Piseev's pocket.) I wonder how much, if any, the various federations will actually take.

Hi, Mathman! You are correct that I was paraphrasing, so I went back and looked up the exact ISU wording: "The ISU Member of Skaters who has been awarded prize money may retain a maximum of 10 %." (Not sure if you're saying that my paraphrasing and yours have different meanings - or at least have different nuances? "Up to 10%" vs. "no more than ten percent" seem equivalent to me??)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Updates on skaters:

-Kanako
Hitting 3-3 a couple pf times. Looked delighted and in a great shape.
Was all smiling and doing some funny steps! :)

-Patrick
Showed up in the Mens practice today.
Though it took him 13 hrs flight to Japan, he slept very well last night, he said.
Hitting 4T. Looks in a great shape, too. :agree:

You can also follow the TV Asahi's official twitter, though it's in Japanese:

https://twitter.com/#!/figureskate5ch

Thanks so much, Deedee!

Mattieu

Medalist

The french federation always takes the maximum 10%.
Tax is also deducted from prize money.

Anna

On the Ice
According to Alena Leonova's blog at a Russian new agency R-Sport website (in Russian), she has been ill and running a fever prior to her departure to Japan. She was off ice for one day, felt better next day (the day of departure), but once she got on the ice she realized that she was very weak and cannot do any triples :( She is determined to attend both practices tomorrow, though.