Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: ISU World Team Trophy, April 2012, Tokyo

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    ^ Japanese fans are making me anxious, I had a japanese friend in Euros and she told me they wait the Sochi tickets to start selling.

Banned
    you can all count. Japan tournaments are always sold out.
    I envy how their spectators occupy the full stadium.

I expected a lot more people at 4CC's. It looked kind of empty. Definitely not like in Japan. Was it as empty as it looked on tv?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene View Post
    I expected a lot more people at 4CC's. It looked kind of empty. Definitely not like in Japan. Was it as empty as it looked on tv?
    Yes me too! I was surprised to see so many empty seats on TV!

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Didnt MK and the USFSA get a nastygram one year when she decided to not do the GP circuit?
    Yup. She blew it off. The ISU did not appreciate that Michelle didn't feel up to doing the Grand Prix, yet she never missed a cheesefest.

Phil Hersh reported, in connection with Michelle's induction into the Hall of Fame, that back when figure skating in the U.S. made money, Michelle was paid upwards of $900,000 a year by the USFSA to do Skate America and the three annual cheesefests. He who pays the piper...

Michelle tried to beg off and skip Skate America in 2002 (held in Spokane). But when Sarah Hughes withdrew at the last minute they made Michelle an "offer that she couldn't refuse." She was quoted as saying that she felt like Michael Corleone in the Godfather:: "Just when you think you're out, they pull you back in."

She won, and made the Grand Prix final on the basis of that one first place finish. But she put her foot down when it came to participating in the Final.

In 2006 she cashed in the favors that the USFSA owed her.

Edited to add: By the way, do you think that the same six teams will make the show this year? Japan, Canada, Russia, U.S.A., China and France. Is anyone else in the running, pending Worlds?
    Last edited by Mathman; 02-15-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    By the way, do you think that the same six teams will make the show this year? Japan, Canada, Russia, U.S.A., China and France. Is anyone else in the running, pending Worlds?
    Italy. I think it'll obviously be the USA, Canada, Japan and Russia, and the final two spots should come down to Italy, France or China. I wouldn't be surprised if China doesn't qualify.

Can the title of this thread please be changed? It's called the World Team Trophy and it bugs me to see the mistake each time

Tripping on the Podium
    isn't there a plan to make this an Olympic event? Does anyone know more details? And would it be the same people competing in singles, or maybe the 4/5 place finishers?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkusNJ View Post
    isn't there a plan to make this an Olympic event? Does anyone know more details? And would it be the same people competing in singles, or maybe the 4/5 place finishers?
    Yes. I believe there was a thread where folks were discussing Team Skating becoming part of the Winter Olympics.

Calling gkelly......

Custom Title
    I sincerely hope at the Olympics they do something to make the team event more interesting. I for one would like for them to require different programs than the individual events, and perhaps even change up the the required elements for the team program.

Another issue that needs to be resolved is the factoring of the PCS. If country A has a male skater that gets 8's in PCS and a female skater that gets 7's, while country B has a male skater that gets 7's and a female who gets 8's, country A will already be ahead because male skaters' PCS is adjusted higher than the female skaters'. I'm thinking some type of ordinal system would be fair here, so you would reward a team with across-the-board excellence rather than having one outstanding athlete inflating the score of a mediocre team.

Tripping on the Podium
    I am hoping that the skaters who are participating in the singles mens and ladies, pairs, and dance are not allowed to compete, and that it is the 4th place finishers!

Custom Title
    I am hoping that the skaters who are participating in the singles mens and ladies, pairs, and dance are not allowed to compete, and that it is the 4th place finishers!
    Well, then you would have skaters like the Canadian ladies competing to NOT have the singles spot.

Although it looks like they are doing that already...

Custom Title
    Regards the Olympic Team Event, every country should bring their best!

It wouldn't be right for the lowest ranked member of the team to win a gold medal whilst their higher ranked team member did not. Jmho.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I sincerely hope at the Olympics they do something to make the team event more interesting. I for one would like for them to require different programs than the individual events, and perhaps even change up the the required elements for the team program.

Another issue that needs to be resolved is the factoring of the PCS. If country A has a male skater that gets 8's in PCS and a female skater that gets 7's, while country B has a male skater that gets 7's and a female who gets 8's, country A will already be ahead because male skaters' PCS is adjusted higher than the female skaters'. I'm thinking some type of ordinal system would be fair here, so you would reward a team with across-the-board excellence rather than having one outstanding athlete inflating the score of a mediocre team.
    Never thought of this before, ITA!

I believe that that details of the Olympic team event are still being worked out. Anyway, their has been no official announcement yet.

From past speculation it appears that countries qualify, not individuals, and then the country has the option of using the same skaters for the team event as for the individual competitions, or using different skaters. So for instance Joannie Rochette could come back just to skate in the team competition and skip the individuals.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post

IIRC, I don't think this is an issue because it won't be the total scores that decide the placements but rather the total of points given for individual placements from each team. A win in any discipline is worth the same points regardless of its margin of victory over the 2nd place or another team's win in a different discipline. Similarly, the difference in COP totals between 2nd and 3rd place is irrelevant. In Japan Open, it was the total COP points of each team that decides the placements so a single strong or weak skater or performance can make or break a team. For the Team Trophy, it will be the placements points totals that matter.

Somebody straighten me out if I am wrong in this.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast