Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: ISU World Team Trophy, April 2012, Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Like I said at the beginning, in all honesty it's the Olympic Team Event I'm most looking forward to, which imho might even overshadow the individual events in the coming years.
    I agree. The world championships are about which individual skater can skate the best. The spirit of the Olympics, on the other hand, is about which country can wave its flag most vigorously. We cheer for our national team even in sports that we hardly knew existed.

Custom Title
    Tukt is preparing for this event, told Mishin...Russia will ask ISU to let her compete there

Custom Title
    N-O, if she's not age eligible to compete at Worlds, then she is not age eligible to compete at the World Team Trophy right after Worlds either.

This goes for EVERYONE! I've already voiced my opinion on age limits in another thread and I do so here once again. If one hasn't turned 15 before July 1st of the previous year, too bad, I don't care who you are, BOOM, you're not age eligible. Finito.

However, it is not for us to decide whether Liza goes or not. It is the decision of ISU. If they let her, she will go.

Custom Title
    Duh, obviously, but in the meantime we can voice our opinions.

Then I will voice mine. Although I think it would be wrong for them to let her, the world team trophy is not the same as world championships so they might make different rules for it. It seems plausible. And I'd love to see her compete again.

Custom Title
    Does anyone know how the team event is being run???? Really who wins will be determined on what format is used or at least influenced. Canada for example looking to the Olympics is not a threat if they need to have 2 singles skaters in men's and women's and all scores count. However, if they just need one entry in each event and Joannie comes back in top ten form they have a reasonable shot at a medal with Patrick and Virtue and Moir leading, a top eight pairs team probably (which gets stronger since Russian and China and heck the usa can only have one entry - Canada has a reasonable shot at beating the Americans). On the other hand if it is two singles skaters for the men and women Japan's chances increase monumentally. I would warn all you skating fans about one thing. I am going to be hated here, but if you, we start whining too loud about this new event I fear just as the backlash of 2002 the effect just hurts skating more and its reputation to the non skating or athletic world. I am sure some will argue that justice needs to be served or whatever but sometimes we can be our own worse enemy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    Tukt is preparing for this event, told Mishin...Russia will ask ISU to let her compete there
    yes I know, apparently her 3A preparation is for world team trophy
    hen Mishin meant to win at seniors one must increase the difficulty and Mishin has already asked the russian fed to the ask the ISU and let Tukt compete

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Does anyone know how the team event is being run?
    We have been going back and forth on this thread between two separate events, the World Team Trophy competition scheduled for April of this year, and the new Olympic team competition that has been approved in principle for the Sochi Olympics.

For the World team Trophy there are six teams chosen according to standings on the ISU ranking lists. (Japan is automatically included as host and sponsor.)

Each team has two ladies, two men, one pairs team and one dance team. Each person does both a short and a long. CoP points are converted into rankings. Of the twelve men and the twelve ladies, first place gets 12 points, second place gets 11 points, etc. (Pairs and dance are scored the same, so the last-place pairs and dance teams still get 7 points.)

These ranking points (not the CoP points) are then added up to determine the winning team.

-------------

The proposed Olympic team event is still in the planning stages, but the preliminary announcements have suggested something like this. There is some sort of qualifying procedure, after which (I think) eight national teams will compete. The team competition will take place near the beginning of the games, before the individual skating.

There will be one men's short program, one men's long program, and similarly for the other three disciplines. Mr. Cinquanta's plan is to allow for a maximum amount of strategizing on the part of national federations. The details have not yet been approved, but Cinquanta's idea is that it would be up to each federation to decide how they want to play it. One federation might decide to take their top horse, ride him hard ,and put him away wet. For instance, Patrick Chan could do the men's team SP, the men's team LP, and then go on to do the individual competition later in the games.

Another federation could do the opposite, and throw in as many fresh bodies as possible. Alissa Czisny could do the ladies' team short, Ashley Wagner the ladies' team long, and then send Gracie Gold, Mirai Nagasu, and Caroline Zhang as the three ladies competing for individual gold.

Some countries will have the luxury of having many different strategies to choose from, others not so much. That will be part of the fun (says Cinquanta), to try to second guess the national federations as to what strategy will give them the best chance of winning the most medals.
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-07-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    What I like is the possibility that like the swimming relays, that good competitors who are not the top 3, could go to the Olympics and get a medal.

Custom Title
    I like the Team event but hate for it to be held before the individual events at the Olympics, making some skaters risk what they have trained most of their lives for and also for the effect on the over all qualities of the individual events.

The annual competition is great to have for all kinds of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    What I like is the possibility that like the swimming relays, that good competitors who are not the top 3, could go to the Olympics and get a medal.
    That would be cool, and I hope that the federations see it that way.

But they would definitely have some decisions to make.

Suppose Davis and White, Shibutani and Shibutani, and Hubbell and Donahue are going for individual medals in ice dance.

Who do we pick for the Short Dance and Free Dance in the team competition? We could go with Kriengkrairut and Giuliette-Schmitt (winning the cool names segment anyway) and Chock and Bates (Madison La'akea Te-Lan Hall Chock being no slouch in the names department herself).

But they might skate only so-so and lose the gold medal for the U.S. team, sacrificing solid efforts by Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner for nothing.

Or should we send Hubbell and Donahue, figuring they will do fine in the team competition, and they are not going to win an individual medal anyway?

Or should we send Davis and White to the team thing, going all out to win the team gold medal and then hope that Meryl and Charlie will still be able to do their best later in the week?

Or do we wait to see whether Canada sends Virtue and Moir before we decide whether to throw down with D&W? (But what if Skate Canada is waiting, too?)

Yeah, this is going to be great!

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    That would be cool, and I hope that the federations see it that way.
    But they would definitely have some decisions to make.
    Suppose Davis and White, Shibutani and Shibutani, and Hubbell and Donahue are going for individual medals in ice dance.
    Who do we pick for the Short Dance and Free Dance in the team competition? We could go with Kriengkrairut and Giuliette-Schmitt (winning the cool names segment anyway) and Chock and Bates (Madison La'akea Te-Lan Hall Chock being no slouch in the names department herself).
    But they might skate only so-so and lose the gold medal for the U.S. team, sacrificing solid efforts by Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner for nothing.
    Or should we send Hubbell and Donahue, figuring they will do fine in the team competition, and they are not going to win an individual medal anyway?
    Or should we send Davis and White to the team thing, going all out to win the team gold medal and then hope that Meryl and Charlie will still be able to do their best later in the week?
    Or do we wait to see whether Canada sends Virtue and Moir before we decide whether to throw down with D&W? (But what if Skate Canada is waiting, too?)
    Yeah, this is going to be great!
    I think this would not be possible. As I understood the team event rules published on the ISU home page, a federation can only sent competitors for the team event, who also qualified for individual events, unless a qualified federation for the team event do not have a qualified competitor for an individual event. Only in such a case you can sent a non qualifier for the team event.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Me too I can't find any reason to be held before the individual competition, I would wonder what is the benefit? After the end of competition the team event would be fun, a celebration and skaters who either won or not would enjoy it, being held before both audience and skaters won't enjoy it as much, everyone would wait individuals!
    And if skaters who didn't qualify for the individual spots would be great choice, we would see more skaters than max 3!!!I hope isu rethinks of it all!
    Last edited by seniorita; 03-07-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by micnow View Post
    I think this would not be possible. As I understood the team event rules published on the ISU home page, a federation can only sent competitors for the team event, who also qualified for individual events, unless a qualified federation for the team event do not have a qualified competitor for an individual event. Only in such a case you can sent a non qualifier for the team event.
    I am a little confused now. Is that announcement still available on the ISU site?

They did recently announce the rules for the World Team Trophy.

For the Olympics, as far as I know individuals do not qualify to compete, countries do. Is this right?

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast