ISU World Team Trophy, April 2012, Tokyo | Page 7 | Golden Skate

ISU World Team Trophy, April 2012, Tokyo

noidont

Final Flight
It's not going to be the end of the day for anyone to skate twice in the Olympics...
No one would decline to participate in the team event. Can you imagine what kind of backlash would face them when they go back home? I don't think an individual gold could rescue his or her (marketing) image. It's during the Olympics that all kinds of patriotism you didn't know you had climbs out.
Which brings to my point. The idea of a team event is brilliant for the Olympics. Patriotism means rating god. Period. Although I would like to see a format that's actually fair, something like two teams per event, which is never going to happen (because of Japan). I mean, seriously, why discriminate against pairs and dancers?

If a country, for example, Canada fails to qualify a second lady, then they can send one just for the team event. She is probably gonna suck so much that Canada doesn't win anyway. In any case it won't matter. Russia has this one in the bag.

^ I think for the Olympic team event there is only one lady, one man, one pairs team, and one dance team.

For the Team Trophy event, you are probably right about Japan (that is, the corporate sponsors and television networks in Japan that are sponsoriung this made-for-TV event want Japan to have a chance to win). But other countries,too, might find it hard to field two pairs teams and two dance teams.

For the Olympics, maybe Joannie Rochette will come back. Canada would have a fighting chance with Chan, Rochette, Virtue and Moir and either Duhamel and Radford or Dube and Wolfe. :yes:

micnow

Rinkside
It's not going to be the end of the day for anyone to skate twice in the Olympics...
No one would decline to participate in the team event. Can you imagine what kind of backlash would face them when they go back home? I don't think an individual gold could rescue his or her (marketing) image.

I think it is a question of scheduling this event. I think, if the team event is scheduled first before the individual events, I'm 99% sure, that for example Savchenko/Szolkowy will not participate one or two days before their individual event, at least not perform two full programs (SP and LP). I think, the team event is meaningless for them (I am German). If the team event is scheduled last after all single events, it's another case.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For the Olympics, maybe Joannie Rochette will come back. Canada would have a fighting chance with Chan, Rochette, Virtue and Moir and either Duhamel and Radford or Dube and Wolfe. :yes:

I'd LOVE to see Joannie back on competitive ice, and not just Japan Open. She wouldn't even have to attempt the 3Lutz to be competitive; she could just as successfully attempt:

3flip+2toe
3loop
2Axel
x3toe+1loop+3Salchow
x3flip
x3Salchow+2toe
x2Axel

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Joannie has continued to indicate her interest in the Team event. But what would she have to do to qualify? I think she can just come back because of her Olympic medal.

MarkusNJ

Rinkside
I am personally hoping that if you compete in singles or pairs dance, you can't compete in the team event, so that more skaters get a chance at an Olympic experience. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
"Virtue & Moir ready to conquer Olympic team event" (Reuters, Mar 30)

Looking ahead to 2014, Reuters got comments from V/M re the Sochi team competition. Excerpts from the wire are below. (I'm posting here in 2012 Team Trophy thread b/c I don't see any Olympic threads yet.)

NICE, France, March 30 | Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:25pm EDT
(Reuters) - Olympic champions Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir gave a big thumbs up on Friday to the new team figure skating competition that will be introduced at the 2014 Sochi Winter Games.
Less than 24 hours after capturing their second ice dance gold medal at the world championships, the couple's eyes lit up at the thought of winning two Olympic titles in Russia.
"It's really exciting. Any chance we have to skate for another Olympic medal, it's amazing," a smiling Virtue told Reuters after enjoying her first stress-free day in Nice.
Moir was even more enthusiastic.
"Step on Olympic ice, be in an Olympic venue, we'll take it. Add three more events, we'll be there for all of them," he grinned. ....
The Canadians admitted they were originally concerned about the team battle taking place before the individual competitions but their coach Marina Zueva helped to ease their worries.
"Originally we had wished it was the reverse (the individual competitions were before the team) but Marina's perspective was that having the team event first would be a great chance for us to get out and feel the Olympic energy, feel the vibe... almost like a warm-up before the individual competition," said Virtue.
Moir added: "Anytime there is an Olympic medal on the line, I'm pretty competitive. I know that I won't be able to sleep at night knowing it was us that lost the gold for Canada. So we're going to do everything we can to give the Canadians the best opportunity to win."

ETA:
I see now that Reuters also reported separately on Mar 29 that the first day of the Sochi figure-skating team event will be the day before(!) the Olympic opening ceremony.
Seems to me that this schedule could bring extra attention to the sport in general as well as to the team event. My hunch is that media outlets will jump at the chance to provide coverage of an official competition -- while they can offer only preview stories for other Olympic sports.

Last edited:

Kissx3

Final Flight
They can't send Czisny to this if they care at all. Best choice at this point is probably Caroline, but anyone else will do.

feraina

Record Breaker
I really hope Caroline gets to go to this event. I really feel like she didn't get enough credit for her two amazing skates at National's. At least she should get to go to the Teams event. It would help her training costs, and also have one more opportunity to remind the int'l judges of all the improvements she's made.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Countries qualifying for Team Trophy competition

Do you know which countries will qualify for the World Team Trophy??

Per ISU website:
"The results of the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2012 determined the six qualifiers for the ISU World Team Trophy in Tokyo, Japan (April 18 to 22). The six teams are Japan (7891 points), Canada (6943 points), Russia (6807 points), USA (6399 points), Italy (5412 points) and France (5214 points)." :)

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Well, now the USFSA has to pick Ashley's partner for the World Team Trophy.

I think they are 'required' to send their 2 best skaters as determined by world ranking. Technically that's still Ash and Alissa. Does Alissa's terrible performance change anything in terms of the rules? Who is the third best in terms of world ranking? Is it still Mirai?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think they are 'required' to send their 2 best skaters as determined by world ranking. Technically that's still Ash and Alissa. Does Alissa's terrible performance change anything in terms of the rules? Who is the third best in terms of world ranking? Is it still Mirai?

If that's the case the team would be Alissa and Mirai. Rachael would be 1st alternate followed by Wagner. :p

Here's the current world rankings after 2012 Worlds:

http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsladies.htm

PolymerBob

Record Breaker

Back in 2009, the top 2 US ladies at Worlds were Rachael and Alissa, but the USFSA sent Rachael and Caroline to the WTT. The ranking system is different than the normal world standings.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Referring to the OP, the 2 top ranked skaters or best Pair/Dance team cannot elect to op out in advance lest they are not allowed to skate elsewhere and are subject further penalty. I'm not sure if that means the federation is required to send them. Need the official memo to study like a lawyer.

The ISU seems mostly interested in the top ten at Worlds.

To be in compliance with Rule 136, paragraph 6, the following directive is issued by the ISU Council. Any Skater/Couple from a Qualified ISU Member, who placed within the first ten (10) places at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2012 and is ranked in the ISU World Standings among the best 2 Lady Single Skaters, best 2 Men Single Skaters, the best Pair Skating couple and the best Ice Dance couple of his/her/their respective Qualified ISU Member, if this Skater/Couple elects in advance of the ISU World Team Trophy not to participate in the ISU World Team Trophy (for whatever reason), he/she/they will not be permitted to participate in any other competitions, shows, and exhibitions from Monday noon (April 2, 2012) after the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2012, during the ISU World Team Trophy, and until April 23, 2012.

The other provisions about federations being expected to send the top-ranked skaters are more vague and do not seem likely to be enforced as long as a federation makes a good faith effort to send a strong team.

Before worlds I thought USFSA would just go straight down the list with Ashley and Alissa, Jeremy and Adam. Now I think they won't send Alissa and she won't want to go anyway. Caroline Zhang would be a great choice. It might also depend on who is fit and trained enough to do it on short notice.