Martiusheva and Rogonov: Will they be given another chance? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Martiusheva and Rogonov: Will they be given another chance?

mousepotato

On the Ice
Anyway, I don't think that's relevant to this discussion - we're talking about them as possibles for the 2018 Olympics. According to Yuko Kavaguti's wiki page, she moved to Russia in 2003 (with Moskvina), got citizenship December 2008. I think should it be necessary, Deputat will be fine to get citizenship.

There is no reason D/D can't improve enough to sneak by the competition in 24 months to win a bronze at nationals and if he isn't a citizen it would be a shame to miss out on the Olympics in 2014 because of a short sided coach, that's all.

and BTW, Kavaguti didn't compete for Russia until she started with Smirnov until May of 2006. Before that she competed for Japan and the USA.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Davankova is still 13, right? So she won't be age eligible for Sochi anyway, right?

re: Kavaguti - I recognize that, but I presume her period of residence was those five years which allowed her to get her citizenship.

DianaSelene

Medalist
There is no reason D/D can't improve enough to sneak by the competition in 24 months to win a bronze at nationals and if he isn't a citizen it would be a shame to miss out on the Olympics in 2014 because of a short sided coach, that's all.

and BTW, Kavaguti didn't compete for Russia until she started with Smirnov until May of 2006. Before that she competed for Japan and the USA.

Are they eligible 2013-2014?

Sorry, I did not see ImaginaryPogue's question before I typed mine.

mousepotato

On the Ice
Davankova is still 13, right? So she won't be age eligible for Sochi anyway, right?

re: Kavaguti - I recognize that, but I presume her period of residence was those five years which allowed her to get her citizenship.

I think she 14 and he's 19, i think.

It's still harder for someone born outside the former Solviet Union to get citizenship than someone who was, it always will be.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Okay, so she will be. She'll be 15 by July 1st, 2013, which grants her age eligibility for Sochi. Thanks, DianaSelene.

DianaSelene

Medalist
So since Davankova will be 14 before July 1, can they go to grand prix 2012-2013? If they medal at junior world championships?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yes, they will be eligible for the senior grand prix next season. Medalling at world juniors, however, isn't a guarantee of those spots. It used to be, but the rule changes mean otherwise.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
So since Davankova will be 14 before July 1, can they go to grand prix 2012-2013? If they medal at junior world championships?

I never though Vasilisa would be 14 before that.
yes they can go to GP at senior and junior events by 2012 season

hopefully we get to see both M/R and D/D get GP assignments

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
but if B/L do decide to stay until 2018 OLY . I don't see a problem for the men reaching in his 30's
Szolkowy is 34 and even Kavaguti will be 29yrs. by 2014. Bazarova is only 19 and Larionov at 26 isn't that old for the men.

26 for a pairs skater is not old at all. Actually it's not old for even a singles skater. There are many pairs skaters (particularly men) who are in their 30's.

DianaSelene

Medalist
I think that if B/L go to Sochi and do not get a medal, they will continue. By that time, K/S and V/T will both retire and B/L could become Russia's #1. Why would they not stay? They are not old.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I think that if B/L go to Sochi and do not get a medal, they will continue. By that time, K/S and V/T will both retire and B/L could become Russia's #1. Why would they not stay? They are not old.

I'm not so sure B/L will ever be Russias no 1. There are plenty of other teams that can move up to that place. Teams like M/R, I/M, and yes D/D, as well as S/K.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I'm not so sure B/L will ever be Russias no 1. There are plenty of other teams that can move up to that place. Teams like M/R, I/M, and yes D/D, as well as S/K.

M/R definitely has a chance at getting a spot in the top 3 ranks after 2014 also S/K and D/D ( given Davankova survives puberty and keeps all her jumps and twists) but I'm afraid for I/M things aren't going good for them for a couple of seasons now. and even with Lubov trying to lose weight she still cant land most her jumps. hope they will keep trying and keep their partnership :disapp: