NBA Overnight Super Star - Jeremy Lin | Golden Skate

NBA Overnight Super Star - Jeremy Lin

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
My neighbour who used to play for Barbados when he was young, raved about Lin to me last night and wanted me to watch him play today with him. I ended up watching the last half of the game during which the Knicks rallied from behind to lead into a win against the defending champion from Dallas. I was thoroughly impressed as Lin could drive through a wall of giants to dunk that ball, scored a couple of critical 3-pointers near the end of the game and stole a few balls to make great passes whether under the basket or across the court to someone taking it to the basket unopposed. He is all round, a team player and game changer. He didn't leave the court the whole time I was watching. I was told they needed him as they were playing the top team. He said he was ready for tomorrow.

From an unknown called up from the farm to the cover of Time magazine in about a week's time, it's truly phenomenal. He was not appreciated or wanted but, give a great talent a chance and boy has he run with it. :thumbsup: I guess there hasn't been this much excitement in basketball or any popular sport in a long time.

It matters that he is in the right sport. And in the right market in New York.:yes:

heyang

Record Breaker
Part of Lin's rocket ride to popularity is just because he is so unexpected. For the past several years, you don't hear about the team players as much as the Superstars. His style of play goes back to the Dream Team's of the 80's-90's where people were teams, instead of a bunch of people rallying around a star. Hopefully, he stays well-grounded.

Part of Lin's rocket ride to popularity is just because he is so unexpected. For the past several years, you don't hear about the team players as much as the Superstars. His style of play goes back to the Dream Team's of the 80's-90's where people were teams, instead of a bunch of people rallying around a star. Hopefully, he stays well-grounded.

What a wonderful story! Lin seems so dedicated to the game and so modest as well. It's almost laughable how he's an underdog in almost every direction you can name. By basketball standards, almost shrimpy (about 6'4"); Asian-American in a game where there haven't been many Asians; went to Harvard???!!; dropped by two teams...Looks like star potential to me! Add to that, New York may be a great site for marketing and publicity, but it's not Central Central for basketball excellence. Yet with Lin's help, they're mowing everyone down. Even I, who has a vacant space in my brain where understanding of team sports should be (well, it's not a space; I store music there), am galvanized by this story. (And I'm grateful that it's basketball, which I understand, and not football. Though I do remember Doug Flutie, height 5'9", and his football odyssey.) Go, Jeremy!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
My neighbour who used to play for Barbados when he was young, raved about Lin to me last night and wanted me to watch him play today with him. I ended up watching the last half of the game during which the Knicks rallied from behind to lead into a win against the defending champion from Dallas. I was thoroughly impressed as Lin could drive through a wall of giants to dunk that ball, scored a couple of critical 3-pointers near the end of the game and stole a few balls to make great passes whether under the basket or across the court to someone taking it to the basket unopposed. He is all round, a team player and game changer. He didn't leave the court the whole time I was watching. I was told they needed him as they were playing the top team. He said he was ready for tomorrow.

From an unknown called up from the farm to the cover of Time magazine in about a week's time, it's truly phenomenal. He was not appreciated or wanted but, give a great talent a chance and boy has he run with it. :thumbsup: I guess there hasn't been this much excitement in basketball or any popular sport in a long time.

It matters that he is in the right sport. And in the right market in New York.:yes:

I watched the whole match. Lin rested for a few minutes in the second quarter. The rest of the time he was on the court. Before the match, some Dallas Mavericks player said that they've got an answer for Lin. During the match, everytime when Lin got the ball, two big guys were seizing him. Made him so difficult to shoot. If other Knicks players got the ball, there was only one Mavericks player guarding the knicks player with the ball. But Lin was able to attract a few Mavericks players and free his teamates, and then passed the ball to them and let them shoot the hoop.:yes: At one point, Lin was trapped in a corner by two apponent players so that he couldn't move without stepping out the court. And then he was able to pass the ball under the guys' arms to another player of his team. It was amazing!!!

What a wonderful story! Lin seems so dedicated to the game and so modest as well. It's almost laughable how he's an underdog in almost every direction you can name. By basketball standards, almost shrimpy (about 6'4"); Asian-American in a game where there haven't been many Asians; went to Harvard???!!; dropped by two teams...Looks like star potential to me!

He is 6'3". He took SAT in high school and got 800 on SAT Math - a full score on math! He did not just go to Harvard. He's graduated from Harvard and got a Harvard degree in economics.:bow:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I see so much finesse from him. The way he goes right through opposing players to the basket makes me think of how a winning jockey on a race horse somehow finding gaps in the wall of horses in front to pass them. And somehow he always finds a way to get that ball into the basket from all kinds of positions he finds himself in. At one point my neighbor was so excited he kept yelling at his wife in the kitchen, "Honey he beat four guys to score! He beat four guys!"

However, driving through players to the basket is a hard way to earn points though it's often fancy and impressive. 3 pointers are more effective. Well, Lin gets those too. And he makes great passes.

To me it's impressive how his team keeps winning with him which is more important than someone making great personal stats while the team loses more games than winning them.

Yes, I think that his behavior and reaction to his fame show that he is a person of character and will remain so. Recently the news programs talked about baseball player Gary Carter, who unfortunately died a short time ago. What they mentioned most frequently were his qualities as a man, as a husband and parent, and as a coach of young people. He managed to sustain that quality of character throughout an entire lifetime of fame and sports success. So it is possible, and I look forward to hearing of Lin that way (except, I hope, throughout a much longer life span) through the entire course of his career.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Jeremy Lin wasn't outstanding in yesterday's Knicks vs. Celtics. Most of the time he was kept off the court. But still, he has gotten a few brilliant shots and passes to his teamates. Knicks is a weak team compare with Celtics. But they've so close to win it.

FTnoona

Final Flight
Lin is out with a pretty bad injury now. Right when his career was picking up. Hopefully the Knicks choose to or already signed him for a longer contract. But if the Knicks don't want him send him to the Lakers!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Lin is out with a pretty bad injury now. Right when his career was picking up. Hopefully the Knicks choose to or already signed him for a longer contract. But if the Knicks don't want him send him to the Lakers!

Yeah, to the Lakers!:thumbsup::biggrin: Wish him recover completely as soon as possible!

FTnoona

Final Flight
Yipes, this is even more nerve-wracking than skating! I hope he heals well.

Lin just finished his surgery on a meniscus tear. He maybe out for the rest of the season. NY is number 8 in the East right now and hasn't clinched a playoff spot yet.

Last edited: