Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What happened to these promising US Skaters?

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    She had stronger jumps during her pairs competitive days, of course, because I'm sure she trained them harder and more regularly. I don't remember whether she ever succeeded at triples once she began skating alone, but it's possible she did. One interesting skill I notice that she seems to have retrieved after long disuse is a spreadeagle. I don't remember seeing her do a spreadeagle during the first ten years or more of her singles career, and I came to think that she didn't have a turnout. Then I saw on YouTube an old program she and Sergei did in their amateur days, and there she was in a lovely spreadeagle. So I assumed that she had just given up that move. Imagine my surprise when I saw her execute a beautiful spreadeagle on one of those Pandora shows a few weeks ago. Go, Katia!
    Both had triples up to the salchow (there's a program were they attempt SBS Triple Salchow...in the mid-80s!), and Katia could execute the quad twist.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I keep checking this thread to find out what happened to those promising US skaters but.... hmm... maybe there should be a Katia thread?

Danielle Kahle didn't make it out of sectionals....will she keep trying?

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    I keep checking this thread to find out what happened to those promising US skaters but.... hmm... maybe there should be a Katia thread?
    Maybe start a discussion under all things russian...a quad twist? As a single skater I refer only to her shows. The pro comps were a joke. The gold medals got them on SOI and Scott Hamilton was the one who pushed Katia and the powers that decide to skate solo. Everyone in SOI loved G&G and the whole group wanted to take care of Katia, but Scott was her biggest fan, a very big fan indeed.

Custom Title
    Hearing that makes one realize what a strong character Scott Hamilton has. He's obviously a take-charge person and looks out for people for whom he feels responsible. That's not something you see every day of the week. You wouldn't think to look at that little guy with no hair and a bad medical history, that he has such superhuman strength, but I'd bet on him over any pro wrestler or football player for the win. Remember in that memorial program to Sergei, at the end when Katia comes out to skate with the ensemble? (With everyone dressed in white and she in a traditional Russian headdress--I still get gooseflesh when I hear the opening chords of that Tchaikovsky serenade.) Scott's the one who skates with her. The look he gives her as he takes her hand is full of affection and pride and protectiveness, like a father seeing his child off into the world. Whatever fiber that guy is made of, the heavenly factory only had a small amount, and it was plainly saved up to make just a few special people.

Stars on Ice must have had a wonderful atmosphere.(Maybe it still does.) Most of the "regulars" stayed in the cast for years, and they got one another through all sorts of terrible ordeals, the death of Sergei being one of the most intense.
    Last edited by Olympia; 02-24-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Scott Hamilton is a big, big man. 10 ft tall.....
    Just saw Alexe Gilles in the Oct. 2009 French GP. She had a very nice short....
    I would like to see her as an ice dancer and see how she looks out there....

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Given that Mrs. Gilles is reactivating/registering (I'm not sure what the correct word is.) her Canadian citizenship in aid of Piper competing with Paul Poirier at Sochi, I would be very surprised if Alexe doesn't give making the ladies team for Sochi in Canada a try.

Custom Title
    That would be an interesting endeavor, Doris. If Alexe can resume her progress, she'd be a big asset for the Canadian team. Hey, they gave us Tanith Belbin. We owe them.

Ah, but we already gave them Kaithlyn Weaver Not to mention Piper. But yes, they can definitely have Alexe too, for my part.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Maybe start a discussion under all things russian...a quad twist? As a single skater I refer only to her shows. The pro comps were a joke. The gold medals got them on SOI and Scott Hamilton was the one who pushed Katia and the powers that decide to skate solo. Everyone in SOI loved G&G and the whole group wanted to take care of Katia, but Scott was her biggest fan, a very big fan indeed.
    That's true. I could never decide whether Scott had a secret crush on Katia Gordeeva or Kristi Yanmaguchi.

Custom Title
    Either way, the guy's got good taste.

By the way, since we're talking of our Stars on Ice friends, I looked at Kristi's website after reading a thread on here about her. I thought she was no more than cute as a competitive skater. But in recent years, she's become quite beautiful. Maybe she always was, but she didn't know how to play it up? In any case, good for her!
    Last edited by Olympia; 02-26-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Katia can skate solo without more than a double axel and hold our attention. She just flies softly over the ice. She gets better with age.
    You are comparing pro/exhibition skating with eligible singles skating. That's apples and oranges. Katia mentioned in her book that she was not a strong jumper. Even in those days singles skaters needed jumps to win.

When Kristi was in juniors, she had glasses and braces

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    That's true. I could never decide whether Scott had a secret crush on Katia Gordeeva or Kristi Yanmaguchi.
    I think he felt more like a protector when it came to Katia... I don't think his "crush" on Yama was secret lol

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    I'm sorry to hear about Angela Maxwell quitting
    She was very unique and confident about that. I remember seeing her live about 1 1/2 years ago and she looked like she truly enjoyed skating...of course, some things seem to have changed since then if she didn't want to do it anymore. She had some really gorgeous jumps!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast