International Challenge Cup - The Hague, Mar 8-11 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

International Challenge Cup - The Hague, Mar 8-11

Trewyn

Medalist
Alissa in Belgium! So cool :) I'm really looking forward to this event! Not sure how much I'll be able to watch of it all, but I'll do my best and try to report back here :)

emma

Record Breaker
HAs anyone figured out why so many top skaters are attending...is there a history to this that I am unaware of? So interesting and curious.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
They are apparently updated after each group, but there's someone live-tweeting and she reports that Amodio leads with 82.48, followed by Joubert about four points back and then Abbott. Amodio was cleanish, Joubert made mistakes, Abbott fell twice. Judging seems to be a bit lax.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Protocols are up, and I believe a unicorn has been spotted in the SP: namely Joubert's long-lost 4S, last seen in the 2006-7 season (IIRC). I am impressed that he put it out there and rotated it; maybe next time he can actually land it w/o a stepout or whatever it was. His PCS, however, are uninspiring.

Amodio also did a 4S, and also made a mistake. Not sure what it was.

The person tweeting from the rink is Janet.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Observation and questions from Result Details and twitter reports, focusing on the top 4:

Joubert seems to have done poorly on both TES and PCS. Had Abbott not received a < on his 4T, he would have beat Joubert even with his 2 falls. Judges were now really down on Joubert's TR (6.08) and Contesti beat him in PCS.

Both Joubert and Amodio landed their quads poorly, receiving negative GOEs.

Amodio's PCS is :eek: worthty. Not only did he beat Joubert in every component but he received 8.25 :unsure: for his SS even though his TR is just 6.75. Abbott's SS is 8.58, just 0.33 above Amodio's whereas Joubert received 7.75, both of which I consider pretty in line with what they usually show us. But Amodio?!

I just noticed protocols are up so will look at it for more details.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Joubert seems to have done poorly on both TES and PCS. Had Abbott not received a < on his 4T, he would have beat Joubert even with his 2 falls. Judges were now really down on Joubert's TR (6.08) and Contesti beat him in PCS.
Actually, Joubert did fairly well on TES - he had messy landings (I think one was a stepout) which hurt his GOEs, but he got both quads rotated and got really good levels on non-jump elements. His bigger problem was the PCS, and have you seen his SP? Let's just say I was not surprised. At this point in his career I think he is mainly skating for himself and to have fun, which the Twitter updates suggest that he did.

Abbott got good GOEs on his clean elements and fantastic PCS.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I believe Abbott deserves his PCS but two falls in the SP this close to Worlds does not bode well. He won his one GP event by coming third in both SP and LP but such favorable line-up of others' failing is not to be counted on at Worlds. I hope he does well in LP where he can leap over the others at this event if he lands his jumps. His only problem now is all about landing jumps.

I said Joubert did poorly in PCS because he used to be scored quite high even without much transition and even when he failed at his jumps and received low TES. Negative GOE on both his quad and his jump combo is poor for him because the big jumps have always been his bread and butter and ticket to the podium. I understand it has not been easy for him and keeping up with the young guns is tough. But it's still Amodio's PCS over Joubert's across the board and the SS score in particular that surprise me.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I believe Abbott deserves his PCS but two falls in the SP this close to Worlds does not bode well. He won his one GP event by coming third in both SP and LP but such favorable line-up of others' failing is not to be counted on at Worlds. I hope he does well in LP where he can leap over the others at this event if he lands his jumps. His only problem now is all about landing jumps.

I said Joubert did poorly in PCS because he used to be scored quite high even without much transition and even when he failed at his jumps and received low TES. Negative GOE on both his quad and his jump combo is poor for him because the big jumps have always been his bread and butter and ticket to the podium. I understand it has not been easy for him and keeping up with the young guns is tough. But it's still Amodio's PCS over Joubert's across the board and the SS score in particular that surprise me.
Going for two quads is something Joubert has never done in an SP, and while neither jumping pass was clean, I am very impressed that he even tried that second quad; he hasn't done a 4S in competition in years, and if he's ever to get it consistent, there will likely be some mistakes along the way. He didn't pop it and he got it rotated, so that's good for him. Getting good levels also bodes well for him. If you look at his past PCS, this is a bit lower than normal but not surprising considering he is skating what looks more like an EX and has been struggling for a while now. Amodio has beaten him in PCS more than once, and the judges have already shown that they will look kindly upon Florent if he skates cleanish.

I wonder if Abbott is fully healed?

p.s. I will remind, once again, that TR is but one of the five PCS marks.

Last edited: