Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Has anyone competed in solo dance?

Canadian skaters, do you have an adult committee that reports into the Skate Canada structure? Much of what gets approved goes through this committee in the US and they TRY to listen to all points of view and requests for changes or they request changes that will benefit the majority of adult figure skaters. This was how solo dance got added to ANs - a petition made the rounds at adult competitions (and non-adult alike) and the large volume of interest had the committee's attention to invetigate that feasibility. If you don't have an adult committee, I'd highly recommend making enough noise to get one!

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by figuristka View Post
    Its a shame there is not more done for Adult figure skater's in Canada. The US seem to have more options for Adult figure skaters for tests aand competitions. I myself passed up to the senior bronze/junior silver in Ice dance, though this was about 10 yrs ago. I recently got interested in taking an adult ice dance session but i cannot seem to find any in my area. Solo dance sounds great to me if they had it in Canada too. I think some places like Ottawa are great for Adult skaters but smaller towns don't have much.
    If you can find a coach, they can definitely put you on the right track for that. Your coach should be able to teach you and spot you for your dance, and that way you can learn... If you're interested in Competitions, there are some small competitions in Canada which do Adult solo dance - its hard to find , but i'm almost positive there are =]

On the Ice
    And the answer the main question of this thread:

About 2 weeks I skated at my first solo dance competition. It was honestly so nerve-wracking for me because not only was that first competition that I had done in ages, but because it was my first dance one too. I was in the Junior Bronze Solo Dance Category - skating to the Fourteenstep. I messed up my opening steps, and it threw off my entire pattern. But because of that, I didn't place very well =[ I think I was so nervous because I'm used to doing dance tests, or dancing with a partner so when I was alone on the ice I'm like

Otherwise, I'm definitely going to compete in Solo Dance again ;D

Thanks AmuChan, I'll look into it. I found an Adult skating session where it says you can get a private coach if you want. Before i think of getting a coach again i'll try to practice some basic dances even if they don't play dance music and just get the feel of the ice again. Iam not even sure what level i can get back to. Good luck in your next competition.

On the Ice
    I am not sure if we have any sort of adult committee. I would guess no.

Figuristka...If you are in the Toronto area I know of a few adult sessions. PM me if you want some info. If you are in western section there are lots of adult programs too.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Canadian skaters, do you have an adult committee that reports into the Skate Canada structure? Much of what gets approved goes through this committee in the US and they TRY to listen to all points of view and requests for changes or they request changes that will benefit the majority of adult figure skaters. This was how solo dance got added to ANs - a petition made the rounds at adult competitions (and non-adult alike) and the large volume of interest had the committee's attention to invetigate that feasibility. If you don't have an adult committee, I'd highly recommend making enough noise to get one!
    Not yet, we aren't as numerous as in the US but it's on my list of things to do.

The Adult Committee was formed before there was knowledge of the interest level of adults in the US. This was a group of very dedicated adult skaters who pushed for what they felt was right. Maybe there'd be more interested persons if you created an adult committee and really pushed your points of view and advertised and...
    The US Adult Committee has rolled with the times - word of mouth, a page on the USFS website in the programs section, and now FB. They mobilize the US adults through all of these methods and it's great. (disclaimer: no, I am not on the committee, but I do know a lot of people who are and they reach out to their "constituents" through word of mouth, email, FB, etc which really keeps people informed and engaged)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3