Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 21 of 21

Thread: Should Adelina Sotnikova also withdraw from the World Junior Championships?

  1. #16
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,579
    ^ She is not the first or last to withdraw from an event. Many skaters in Russia skip Nationals for various reasons too. Give her a break and Mishin also. It was her first season and she had far more travelling than the rest juniors because she went to GPF on top of Japan Open and her Gp in Canada. Adelina didndt qualify for GpF and didnt go to Japan Open, her one Grand prix of the two was in Moscow, so you dont know what she would do if she had the travel time of Elisaveta. I think Mishin listens to his skaters, if she is tired, and she looked a lot tired after Nationals, emotionally and physically, there is no reason to push her more, especially now she is still growing up.
    Maybe they dont want Liza to go back in juniors program and move on, something I remember Ashely had done in 2010 JW, cause she didnt want to lose time training her programs again for juniors.

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    ^ She is not the first or last to withdraw from an event. Many skaters in Russia skip Nationals for various reasons too. Give her a break and Mishin also. It was her first season and she had far more travelling than the rest juniors because she went to GPF on top of Japan Open and her Gp in Canada. Adelina didndt qualify for GpF and didnt go to Japan Open, her one Grand prix of the two was in Moscow, so you dont know what she would do if she had the travel time of Elisaveta. I think Mishin listens to his skaters, if she is tired, and she looked a lot tired after Nationals, emotionally and physically, there is no reason to push her more, especially now she is still growing up.
    Maybe they dont want Liza to go back in juniors program and move on, something I remember Ashely had done in 2010 JW, cause she didnt want to lose time training her programs again for juniors.
    I have nothing against Tuk. She is still a kid, and it is her parents and coaches' responsibility to look after her wel-fare. That's why how coach(s) pace his/her skaters is crucial. I agree that Tuk looked tired at her nationals, but she was still sent to Youth Olympics event, which occurred after the Russian nationals! Right, she was really listend to.

    Also if I understand it correctly, both Kavaguti/Smirnoff and VOLOSOZHAR/Maxim TRANKOV withdrew from Russian nationals due to legitimate medical reasons, didn't they? (Correct me if I'm wrong). Additionally, Tuk's withdraw occurred after her name was already submitted to the Jr. world roster. This is very different from Ashley's 2010 case. Ashley was asked and declined the offer. Consequently USFSA never submitted Ashley's name as a contestant. Notice that Russian federation is doing it again to the Sr. world, too. That is, Makarova's name is already submitted but the federation is in the process of replacing her. Again, who cares about how Makarova feels.

    The point I am trying to come across is that if you place winning at any cost as your natinonal priority, there is the danger of justifying that anything is means to an ends, i.e., pushing a young skaker too hard rather than properly pacing her; "discarding the original promise/contract to one skater in the name of pursuing ever greater advantage. In the process if the originally promised skater was devastated, well, that's just too bad, for they are pursuing "greater good."

  3. #18
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,579
    I m pretty sure RF had a say about Youth Olys and who they would send. As I m sure they are setting their skaters for Sochi, cause if they would really want to send her in Juniors neither Mishin nor Tuktamisheva would be listened. But they have Lipnitskaya there so probably they dont care.

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I m pretty sure RF had a say about Youth Olys and who they would send. As I m sure they are setting their skaters for Sochi, cause if they would really want to send her in Juniors neither Mishin nor Tuktamisheva would be listened. But they have Lipnitskaya there so probably they dont care.
    I'm afraid what you referred might be plausible.

  5. #20
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    ^

    I disagree, while Liza is indeed tired, you have to consider Tukt competed a longer season from Japan Open to Youth Olympics
    and won 2 GP events and YOG. Sotnikova had a lukewarm season but not totally a disaster, I think what Adelina is trying to prove is she can bounce back.
    Sotnikova is struggling from physical ( 2nd growth spurt ) and mental ( confidence) issues this season but she has proven she can bounce back like at the 2012 nationals. this will be another test for her on how to handle huge pressure and this will do more good for her than damage her.

    so what if Adelina doesn't win ? she doesn't have anything to lose now, atm
    I agree with Sky_fly20. She doesn't have much to lose. Also, champions risk. They don't duck competition to save their ego. That would damage her confidence in the long run. If she's meant to be a champion, she will tough this out and get through it.

  6. #21
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,083
    Quote Originally Posted by CARA View Post
    I have nothing against Tuk. She is still a kid, and it is her parents and coaches' responsibility to look after her wel-fare. That's why how coach(s) pace his/her skaters is crucial. I agree that Tuk looked tired at her nationals, but she was still sent to Youth Olympics event, which occurred after the Russian nationals! Right, she was really listend to.

    Also if I understand it correctly, both Kavaguti/Smirnoff and VOLOSOZHAR/Maxim TRANKOV withdrew from Russian nationals due to legitimate medical reasons, didn't they? (Correct me if I'm wrong). Additionally, Tuk's withdraw occurred after her name was already submitted to the Jr. world roster. This is very different from Ashley's 2010 case. Ashley was asked and declined the offer. Consequently USFSA never submitted Ashley's name as a contestant. Notice that Russian federation is doing it again to the Sr. world, too. That is, Makarova's name is already submitted but the federation is in the process of replacing her. Again, who cares about how Makarova feels.

    The point I am trying to come across is that if you place winning at any cost as your natinonal priority, there is the danger of justifying that anything is means to an ends, i.e., pushing a young skaker too hard rather than properly pacing her; "discarding the original promise/contract to one skater in the name of pursuing ever greater advantage. In the process if the originally promised skater was devastated, well, that's just too bad, for they are pursuing "greater good."
    First of all maybe Liza/Mishin wanted the YOG gold medal more than they wanted the Jr World title... Its a thought. Also while Liza's name may have been submitted, Mishin has apparently told people for awhile that she wasn't going...

    Second who says the Russian fed promised Ksensia Senior Worlds? Viktoria V had an interview where she said after Euros that they weren't told yet who the Russian World team would be and this was after her skater was the top one at Euros. They may have submitted a nominative roster-but the alternates mean the team can change their mind.

    The Russian fed has always been clear to their skaters that whole finishing top 3 at Nationals can get you a Euros spot; it does not guarantee you a spot at Worlds. They look at the whole season when it comes to that. And if you look at the whole season-the decision to go with Shelepen over Ksensia makes sense. Ksensia has struggled in the free all season long.

    I frankly thought Ksensia was overscored at Russian Nationals, and should have finished far lower there than she did, Polina K on the other hand was underscored. Its understandable why the Russians didn't want Markova or Leonova to be that low at Russian Nationals- could hurt them internationally. But now that the international judges have said what I thought-that Polina K was their strongest, the Russians don't need Ksensia anymore.

    I'm quite sure that Piseev made it very clear to Polina and Ksensia's teams that both of their positions on the world team were tenative/not determined. The only one who could afford to not be steller at Euros-was Leonova.
    Last edited by bekalc; 02-27-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •