Uncertainty over who will be on Russian ladies team for Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Uncertainty over who will be on Russian ladies team for Worlds

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Should a question mark be added to the original thread title or the title reworded to something like "Shelepen to replace Makarova in Russian team for Worlds?" until there is official news of exactly who is going?

Mao88

Record Breaker
The title of the article that inspired the thread has now been changed to 'Polina Shelepen may join Russian team at two Worlds.' The reasons for this are explained by the same source in a subsequent article here.

Moreover, Aleksandr Gorshkov, president of the Federation of Figure Skating Federation of Russia, has stated here that:-

Foreign media too quick - the issue is not solved yet

Apologies - can one of the moderators change the title to something like: Uncertainty over who will be in Russian ladies team for Worlds (or some other appropriate title). I have also PM'd the moderators requesting the change.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
It's all about strategy. :cool:

And the Russians are doing just that, trying to find out the best solution, whom to send to Worlds this year, with Sochi only two years away. They want & *need* to get their young talent out there, but at the same time they have to think of the here & now, whom amongst the veterans is the best to be sent to Worlds? None really imho. Next year is when Adelina & Elizaveta are age eligible for Worlds. :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Apologies - can one of the moderators change the title to something like: Uncertainty over who will be in Russian ladies team for Worlds (or some other appropriate title). I have also PM'd the moderators requesting the change.

No need to apologise :) for the article, it seems that it had taken the info from Shelepens facebook page and now the post has dissapeared.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Russia really needs 3 spots next year because the 2 or 3 skaters that make the 2013 World team will likely have not competed at senior Worlds. It will be a new kind of pressure they haven't yet experienced.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
A while back I asked if ksenia might rue her decision to skate for mother Russia. I think she is now, if she is not sick. I loved her skating in Vancouver but she has not improved. I guess they must do what thye must and they have 5 skaters who seem like they could be superstars, at least before they mature totally.

Trewyn

Medalist
Russia has 3 spots this year? Alena is definitely going?
Ksenia looked so promising back in 2010...

seniorita

Record Breaker
Yes Russia and Japan have three spots this year. I m sure they will send Leonova for sure, she is more consistent even if she had a worse Euros outcome than Ksenia. The latter has a great sp this season, but Leonova has a fun sp that audience likes, and honestly besides all her other issues Makarova's Lp is so ugly live that surpasses Leonovas requiem for a dream/adagio by Morosov if that's possible.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Yes Russia and Japan have three spots this year. I m sure they will send Leonova for sure, she is more consistent even if she had a worse Euros outcome than Ksenia. The latter has a great sp this season, but Leonova has a fun sp that audience likes, and honestly besides all her other issues Makarova's Lp is so ugly live that surpasses Leonovas requiem for a dream/adagio by Morosov if that's possible.

Leonova has overall also had a MUCH better season than Ksenia. She made the GPF, I believe finished 3rd there. She finished 3rd at Russian Nationals, one spot above Makarova. Last year at Worlds she was 4th. Compare to Makarova who finished 7th and 5th at her Grand Prix outings and 7th at Worlds last year. Makarova did finish one spot higher at Euros, so there is that.

However, even if their records were equal, unlike Ksenia, while Leonova's programs can certainly use some work and she certainly is not immune to mistakes, she has both a lutz and a flip and she rarely makes major jumping mistakes- there is the occasional fall but rarely if ever recently multiple falls, and she rarely if ever gets edge calls or underroatates her jumps. Further, as has already been discussed here, even if Ksenia could cleanly skate her LP which is in grave doubt, it is hideous.

So basically, yes. This year Leonova is safe. Next year we will have to see.

bekalc

Record Breaker
A while back I asked if ksenia might rue her decision to skate for mother Russia. I think she is now, if she is not sick. I loved her skating in Vancouver but she has not improved. I guess they must do what thye must and they have 5 skaters who seem like they could be superstars, at least before they mature totally.

Why? Ksensia got to go to 2 worlds and the Olympics skating for Russia; given her jump content I don't think the same could have been said in the US-maybe but not completely likely. She's gotten something out of skating for Russia.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Why? Ksensia got to go to 2 worlds and the Olympics skating for Russia; given her jump content I don't think the same could have been said in the US-maybe but not completely likely. She's gotten something out of skating for Russia.

I guess I can see both points. She did get an Olympics out of skating for Russia, and you're right that this would not have happened for her in the USA that ear against Mirai and Rachael unless Mirai and Rachael skated differently than they actually did. However, now, with the babies coming up, she's not going to be competitive in all likelihood in Russia and in fact probably could remain more competitive in the USA where, with the exception of Gracie, no one has the kind of jump content that Sot, Tuk, Julia, both Polinas consistently (bordering on always) do. I do think though that she is kind of doomed either way right now unless she can get a lutz or at a minimum a flip... ideally both, regardless of if she wants to skate for the USA or Russia. However, she is a lovely skater at times (her SP this year is my favorite of the season) and if she could improve her technical content she might make a resurgence. I don't think it's likely now though.

seniorita

Record Breaker
However, even if their records were equal, unlike Ksenia, while Leonova's programs can certainly use some work and she certainly is not immune to mistakes, she has both a lutz and a flip and she rarely makes major jumping mistakes- there is the occasional fall but ....

An argument can be made if she has a lutz AND flip but other than that I agree and I like Alena, plus she really fights to keep till Sochi and that is admirable.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Makarova never had the lutz, and in the past two years she has only been about 50% on the flip. She has had decent SPs but not-so-good FSs, and this seasons FS has been horrible both in concept and execution. Her 4th place at Russian Nationals was a superinflated gift, because she is not competitive with the young Russians and IMO in the future she won't be seen at Euros or Worlds again. She will have to be content with any Senior Bs the RFSF deems to give her.

Leonova has a pleasing personality and she is a far better performer than Makarova. She has a decent jump repertoire, ISU judges seem to love her, and I think RFSF will still give her plenty of international assignments.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I don't know what's going on anymore either. Sigh.
Right before the Europeans one of the Russian tabloids (eg.ru) published the article where some conflict between RFSF and Makarova's team were described. The reason of which was the invitation of Zagainov, who is also known as the Black Magician, to work with Ksenia. It was reported that Piseev tried to convince her father, a well-known fskater, to change Ksenia's coach, not to invite some controversial magician. Whatever was going on behind the curtains, the fact is Zagainov was not invited to the Russian Nationals. He also didn't get the accreditation for the Europeans in Sheffield. At that time the article could sound just some tabloid stuff. But now, after Makarova will possibly be kicked out from both the Wolds and Worlds Trophy, I tend to believe there can be some truth in that backstage story. The relationship between Makarova and RFSF doesn't seem like at its best.:confused:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Hopefully they can decide soon. It seems a bit unfair to the skaters to hold off on this decision when all the information they need is already there.

DianaSelene

Medalist
I read that Piseev said the decision will be made after the junior worlds. Maybe if she does well, they will replace Makarova?