Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who did what first?

Custom Title
    How likely will we see the first 4S4T by the next decade?

Custom Title
    I think a 4T+4T is more likely.

Custom Title
    What counts as first?

In practice? In any competition? In any international competition? In an ISU championship (or Olympics)? In any competition for which there is film or video evidence readily available?

Does it count if it was badly underrotated and/or two-footed or otherwise not ratified or ratifiable by the ISU?

Access to video documentation has changed a lot over the decades, which is why we can see what Mroz did in a nonqualifying US club competition and not what may have been done in world competition half or three-quarters of a century earlier.

If something was done at a national championship, the skating community or fans from that country may be very familiar with the feat, while anyone from outside that country may never even heard of the skater concerned (if they never competed internationally or never duplicated the "first" feat on an international stage).

sasha cohen also did a 4S at '01 skate america practice. sorry if everyone's seen it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oGQEiKst6w

Custom Title
    That's a wonderful list of achievements. What's especially nice is the variety of names on it. We don't owe everything to one person or to people from one country. An impressive number of Canadians, though. Vern Taylor is Canadian, right? I count six, including Donald Jackson and Petra Burka. It's nice to see America's Ronnie Robertson on there (known especially for his spinning, I believe), and as always I sigh with delight on seeing Kurt's name.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Copied & pasted from wikipedia's bio on Evgeni Plushenko:

The first skater in the world to perform a quadruple toe loop-triple toe loop-double loop jump (4𣛨) combination in competition, at the 1999 NHK Trophy (he has since landed his 4𣛨 combination 26 times so far). He is the first skater to have landed a quadruple toe loop-triple toe loop-triple loop (4𣛩) combination in competition, at the Cup of Russia 2002 (he has since landed his 4𣛩 combination four times so far). Plushenko is also the first skater to land a triple toe loop-triple toe loop-triple loop-double loop (3𣛩2) combination, which was at the 2005 "Ard Gala". At the European Championships, he landed a six jump combination (3𣛨𣇼2) in his exhibition program. He has landed a four jump combination; 4 toe loop-3 toe loop-2 loop-2 loop, at the World Championships in 2001. Plushenko has landed a consistent quadruple toe loop in competition, and has also landed a quadruple salchow in Samara, Russia at the 2004 "Second stage of Cup of Russia". It is estimated that he has landed a total of about 100 quads in competition.
    And that is why he is the best athlete to date in FS. And he isn't done. i was not always the fan I am now, given my preference for the style and look of Yagudin. From 6.0 mastery to dominance in CoP (yes he gets rep and legend points, plus he's known to be a generous person/good guy despite the Russian bravaura that all russian champs have.) WOW WOW WOW.

Michelle Kwan is a distant second in medals won, and longevity. There is no male skater that remotely matches his record even if you dislike his style and think he is over rated. I now even like his more normal costumes. All that jumping and he can do a Biellman. FS biggest overachiever. Wish you were going to Worlds Evgeni, just to see you do your best is enough for me, and I suspect most long time FS fans.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    With the advent of the COP, we have other records to consider, such as...

First ice dancing team to score level 4 on all applicable elements in a performance: Davis/White's FD at the 2006 NHK Trophy

Other firsts to consider..

Who's the first male singles skater to get level 4 on footwork? Who's the first female to do so? Who's the first pairs team to do that, too?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    We had said sometime ago that Charlie White was the first to get level 4 footwork when he was at singles. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Who's the first male singles skater to get level 4 on footwork? Who's the first female to do so? Who's the first pairs team to do that, too?
    As far as I know, internationally it was Daisuke Takahashi (2005 NHK) and Carolina Kostner (2007 NHK). No idea about the first pair. Charlie White was the first American man to get a level 4, but it was in sectionals (I think) and not international competition.

For anyone interested in statistics rather than firsts, check out this website. The highest scoring element in their database is KvdP's 4-3-3 from 2010 Worlds.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I believe KvdP was also the first to do 3t3t3t in competition.

And the first man to do 2 different quads in competition (4T and 4S) was Ilia Klimkin.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    ^ KVDP zayaked himself?

Buttercup thanx a lot for the site. It uses results after 2006 though. I ll bookmark it with the other one about music choices statistics Medusa had posted some years ago!
    Last edited by seniorita; 02-21-2012 at 06:31 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Has Daisuke ever gotten credit for his 4F?
    No, I think it was always underrotated. He said himself that his landing of 4F at the warm-up at NHK was the only successful attempt. For now.

Custom Title
    I believe that Herma Szab was the first woman to land an Axel. Has anyone credible sources for Henie having done it?

I also believe that Gaby Seyfert was the first woman to show a triple loop in 1968, but I have no proof for that.
    Last edited by Florian; 02-21-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Custom Title
    This thread is so cool!

I believe I remember hearing that Daisuke was the first man with Level 4 footwork. (Wouldn't Dai's statistic be the one that sticks in my mind!)

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    ^ KVDP zayaked himself?
    I think it was 3S+3T+3T. Here is 2003 Worlds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rosTPrSqjwY

Wikipedia says that he did this for the first time at 2002 World Juniors, but I think that's wrong. His 2002 World Juniors LP is on YouTube and he attempts 3Lz+3T+3T, but cannot get the third jump off. (He won the LP anyway and finished second over all -- to Daisuka Takahashi. )

Van der Perren and Plushenko are the only two skaters who have done 4T+3T+3T. Here is Kevin at 2010 Worlds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flWhZrA7NJM

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast