Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Who did what first?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I always felt that there was no reason that Surya's landing on one foot backflip shouldn't have been legal.
    Not sure what you mean; it should have been legal or illegal?

They described it as inverting your body head over skates and landing on two feet. SB got around that by only landing on one. Being a former gymnast it was no problem for her. The rule was then changed to all back flips. I can see why, it's more gymnastic that skating.

Especially since no one complained about Bobrin's signature sideways flip, done here at the end of his program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X94k7jshVKs#t=5m5s
    What Bobrin did was a barrel roll not a back flip, it would have been no different if he went right into a spin.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Yes, it was a barrel roll, or, I believe the stunt's actual name is a "Bobrin", but his feet ended up over his head at one point in the roll, just as in a back flip.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    There is a rule now not place your skates above your head?? I dint know there was time when backflips were allowed in competitions!
    And Bonaly's was illegal because she didnt land on two feet??I didnt understand this part

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Yes, it was a barrel roll, or, I believe the stunt's actual name is a "Bobrin", but his feet ended up over his head at one point in the roll, just as in a back flip.
    Actually, his right foot was always well below the level of his head -- he was never completely inverted.

The Wagenhoffer version I posted earlier comes closer to full inversion . . . but I couldn't find an example of him doing it like that in amateur competition.

Anyway...
    Last edited by gkelly; 02-27-2012 at 03:58 PM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Frogsonice is a very cool site, has so many goodies! Thanx for the link!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I don't think Wagenhoffer did that in amateur competition? At least I don't remember him doing it.

Custom Title
    Maybe not. Maybe because its legality would have been questionable.

I wonder, with IJS, if one of the concerns about safety would be mitigated -- moves like this wouldn't be listed elements and wouldn't earn scores except as transitions and what they add to the choreography. And to the extent that they don't focus on actual skating skills they would take time and potentially points away from Skating Skills.

So if skaters who can do these moves reliably did include them in a program, it might be clear from the scores that there's no big reward for doing it and if those skaters are winning it's for other reasons. Therefore there would be less incentive for skaters to try to learn it and put it in competition as soon as possible in the belief it would give them a competitive advantage.

Just as lifts in synchro are only allowed at senior level, maybe some of these acrobatic singles or pairs tricks could be allowed only at senior level.

More likely, if the ISU ever establishes a competition circuit for artistic skating focused on audience appeal, such moves could be allowed there. At the highest skill level only if the discipline also includes lower levels.

Then there's the "Stu-icide" that someone attempted (and completed successfully) at Adult Nationals last year with a Lutz. It was pretty cool and if you have IN, I would recommend watching the Championship Junior Senior Men's event.

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Then there's the "Stu-icide" that someone attempted (and completed successfully) at Adult Nationals last year with a Lutz. It was pretty cool and if you have IN, I would recommend watching the Championship Junior Senior Men's event.
    Out of interest can you descirbe the move?

Basically, it was a Lutz with a twist in the upper body and free leg. It was quite cool and I am sure my description does not do the Stu-icide justice at all. You kind of looked at it and went "do it again!"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4