Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko's health issues spring 2012

News Plushenko's health issues spring 2012

RT - Figure skating great, Evgeni Plushenko, says that his spine also needs to go under the knife in addition to knee surgery, which was announced earlier.

Banned
    Well, at his press-conference after the charity show he actually said that Russian doctors said that he won't need such a radical intrusion. While German recommended the one. He said the final decision to operate or not will be made in Munich after the examination. The German clinic was originally recommended to him by football players of St-Petersburg team "Zenit". He was operated there previously and he said he trust them completely.

Custom Title
    Oh, my! This is scary! The photo is scary, too. I wish he'll have a successful surgery and a speedy recovery! Pray for him!

By the way, "2008 Olympic gold medalist"?!

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    In FSU someone wrote he has intervertebral disc hernia? what is this? I remember the two hernias before 2006 Olys and I cringe.
    Sometimes I think Plush has escaped from
    Robocop.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    In FSU someone wrote he has intervertebral disc hernia? what is this? I remember the two hernias before 2006 Olys and I cringe.
    Sometimes I think Plush has escaped from
    Robocop.
    I think that's a regular old herniated disc, what we used to call (erroneously) a slipped disc over here. As I understand it, when the fluid-filled sac that's sandwiched between each pair of vertebrae breaks or tears, it can touch against a nerve and cause a lot of pain. I think that's what Kurt Browning had in 1992. Sometimes it resolves itself, but sometimes it needs surgical intervention.

How distressing that Plushy is dealing with that problem! No surgery is easy, but anything near the spine, even with modern methods, is scary to think about.

Custom Title
    I have a herniated disc. It makes you more susceptible to severe back pain but, in my case, anytime I hurt it I recover in about a week or so. Core strength exercises help me but I honestly could not imagine having my condition and being a full-time athlete in a sport that compresses your spine as much as landing triple or quadruple jumps. My doctor says back surgery is truly a last resort for these things because there is a good chance of making the situation worse.

My opinion would be that he retire. Back surgery is just too risky, and his problems are going to get worse with time because of all the punishment he has put his body through already. He has accomplished really everything there is and there is no reason for him to risk an injury that will permanently impact his quality of life.

Oh dear .... wishing Plushy all the best in his operation. I agree with Olympia. No invasive surgery is risk free particularly one near the spine.

Custom Title
    Oh no....I'm really worried now.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I trust the doctors to tell him that he needs to stop or continue with surgery or whatever depending on his injury and they will get the right decision for him. They must know better.
    But I really hope that it is one of the times Mishin exagerates in interviews or something is lost in translation and he just has lumbago.

I agree with drivingmissdaisy. Yes we should live in the moment, but I've seen many an older man who lived for teh moment who are in great pain. My dad is in that boat at the moment and he's in his 50s. He has to go in for neck surgery next month... any big BUMP until then and he could be paralysed or worse!

aw that picture is so sad. poor plushy. good luck to him. i like how they put 2008 olympics instead of 2006.

I have two herniated discs, and soft tissue damage, but I can still be active...I just cant do anything stupid, gotta stay thin and do special PT at home, and wear a brace. Back problems encompass a wide range of issues...some times the herniated jelly presses against a nerve and sometimes not. My neurosurgeon said that if you took MRIs of every's back who is over 40, it would scare you to death. Considering a figure skating jumper lands on one leg with a force of over 6 Gs, I cant imagine how someone with back issues can take it or risk dire consequences.....I wish him well and hope perhaps one of the minor surguries will fix him up. Otherwise, the extruded disc jelly takes years to disolve.
    I have to say again I am thankful to these folks for their art and beauty but after reading Frozen Teardrop and hearing about her medical issues, including her back, I still think anyone who jumps is crazy. Maybe if you are a razor thin lady it isnt so bad. I wonder how much Mr. P weighs?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Oh, my! This is scary! The photo is scary, too. I wish he'll have a successful surgery and a speedy recovery! Pray for him!

By the way, "2008 Olympic gold medalist"?!
    There is no good reason Evgeni, to let the neursurgeons near your spine. Of this I can speak, and can tell you FBS (Failed back surgery as it is known in medical literature) is around 80 percent, and only the surgeons usually gain. Money that is. I am very glad I did not marry that orthopod because I would have rods in my spine I'm sure. I hope he allows no dyes or depo-medrol into the intrathecal space (Cerebrospinal fluid). Any Russians here? Post on his Russian website or Plush forums. Better to see if time allows the disc material to be absorbed...it takes time and it now seems crazy he should try to keep jumping until Sochi. I am always amazed at how these athletes can come back from surgeries and injuries that cripple most everyone else. I hope he decides against. It seems we may be seeing the comeback curtailed. Sanity would dictate it, but i know he is the most driven of skaters. Take care plushy!

Custom Title
    Great post skateluvr!

I know a few people that have had back surgeries, all have gotten worse with time and then had more and more surgeries. Seems like an endless spiral downward from what I've seen. I would be very leery before starting on this path.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I agree with drivingmissdaisy. Yes we should live in the moment, but I've seen many an older man who lived for teh moment who are in great pain. My dad is in that boat at the moment and he's in his 50s. He has to go in for neck surgery next month... any big BUMP until then and he could be paralysed or worse!
    I also agree :( I have a lot of respect for Plushenko, and it is certainly his life and choice, but I think there is no reason for him to isk back surgery at the age of 29. His accomplishments in the sport are enormous; I do understand and believe that he really loves skating and competing but as others have said a low percentage of back surgeries are actually successful and the consequences can be DIRE.

I certainly do wish him well and he'll be in my thoughts...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast