Plushenko's health issues spring 2012 | Golden Skate

Plushenko's health issues spring 2012

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
RT - Figure skating great, Evgeni Plushenko, says that his spine also needs to go under the knife in addition to knee surgery, which was announced earlier.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Well, at his press-conference after the charity show he actually said that Russian doctors said that he won't need such a radical intrusion. While German recommended the one. He said the final decision to operate or not will be made in Munich after the examination. The German clinic was originally recommended to him by football players of St-Petersburg team "Zenit". He was operated there previously and he said he trust them completely.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Oh, my! This is scary! The photo is scary, too. I wish he'll have a successful surgery and a speedy recovery! Pray for him!:bow:

By the way, "2008 Olympic gold medalist"?! ;)

seniorita

Record Breaker
In FSU someone wrote he has intervertebral disc hernia? what is this? I remember the two hernias before 2006 Olys and I cringe.
Sometimes I think Plush has escaped from
Robocop.

In FSU someone wrote he has intervertebral disc hernia? what is this? I remember the two hernias before 2006 Olys and I cringe.
Sometimes I think Plush has escaped from
Robocop.

I think that's a regular old herniated disc, what we used to call (erroneously) a slipped disc over here. As I understand it, when the fluid-filled sac that's sandwiched between each pair of vertebrae breaks or tears, it can touch against a nerve and cause a lot of pain. I think that's what Kurt Browning had in 1992. Sometimes it resolves itself, but sometimes it needs surgical intervention.

How distressing that Plushy is dealing with that problem! No surgery is easy, but anything near the spine, even with modern methods, is scary to think about.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I have a herniated disc. It makes you more susceptible to severe back pain but, in my case, anytime I hurt it I recover in about a week or so. Core strength exercises help me but I honestly could not imagine having my condition and being a full-time athlete in a sport that compresses your spine as much as landing triple or quadruple jumps. My doctor says back surgery is truly a last resort for these things because there is a good chance of making the situation worse.

My opinion would be that he retire. Back surgery is just too risky, and his problems are going to get worse with time because of all the punishment he has put his body through already. He has accomplished really everything there is and there is no reason for him to risk an injury that will permanently impact his quality of life.

spikydurian

Medalist
Oh dear .... wishing Plushy all the best in his operation. I agree with Olympia. No invasive surgery is risk free particularly one near the spine.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I trust the doctors to tell him that he needs to stop or continue with surgery or whatever depending on his injury and they will get the right decision for him. They must know better.
But I really hope that it is one of the times Mishin exagerates in interviews or something is lost in translation and he just has lumbago.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I agree with drivingmissdaisy. Yes we should live in the moment, but I've seen many an older man who lived for teh moment who are in great pain. My dad is in that boat at the moment and he's in his 50s. He has to go in for neck surgery next month... any big BUMP until then and he could be paralysed or worse! :eek:

macy

Record Breaker
aw that picture is so sad. poor plushy. good luck to him. i like how they put 2008 olympics instead of 2006.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have two herniated discs, and soft tissue damage, but I can still be active...I just cant do anything stupid, gotta stay thin and do special PT at home, and wear a brace. Back problems encompass a wide range of issues...some times the herniated jelly presses against a nerve and sometimes not. My neurosurgeon said that if you took MRIs of every's back who is over 40, it would scare you to death. Considering a figure skating jumper lands on one leg with a force of over 6 Gs, I cant imagine how someone with back issues can take it or risk dire consequences.....I wish him well and hope perhaps one of the minor surguries will fix him up. Otherwise, the extruded disc jelly takes years to disolve.
I have to say again I am thankful to these folks for their art and beauty but after reading Frozen Teardrop and hearing about her medical issues, including her back, I still think anyone who jumps is crazy. Maybe if you are a razor thin lady it isnt so bad. I wonder how much Mr. P weighs?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Oh, my! This is scary! The photo is scary, too. I wish he'll have a successful surgery and a speedy recovery! Pray for him!:bow:

By the way, "2008 Olympic gold medalist"?! ;)

There is no good reason Evgeni, to let the neursurgeons near your spine. Of this I can speak, and can tell you FBS (Failed back surgery as it is known in medical literature) is around 80 percent, and only the surgeons usually gain. Money that is. I am very glad I did not marry that orthopod because I would have rods in my spine I'm sure. I hope he allows no dyes or depo-medrol into the intrathecal space (Cerebrospinal fluid). Any Russians here? Post on his Russian website or Plush forums. Better to see if time allows the disc material to be absorbed...it takes time and it now seems crazy he should try to keep jumping until Sochi. I am always amazed at how these athletes can come back from surgeries and injuries that cripple most everyone else. I hope he decides against. It seems we may be seeing the comeback curtailed. Sanity would dictate it, but i know he is the most driven of skaters. Take care plushy!

ivy

On the Ice
Great post skateluvr!

I know a few people that have had back surgeries, all have gotten worse with time and then had more and more surgeries. Seems like an endless spiral downward from what I've seen. I would be very leery before starting on this path.....

tulosai

Record Breaker
I agree with drivingmissdaisy. Yes we should live in the moment, but I've seen many an older man who lived for teh moment who are in great pain. My dad is in that boat at the moment and he's in his 50s. He has to go in for neck surgery next month... any big BUMP until then and he could be paralysed or worse! :eek:

I also agree :( I have a lot of respect for Plushenko, and it is certainly his life and choice, but I think there is no reason for him to isk back surgery at the age of 29. His accomplishments in the sport are enormous; I do understand and believe that he really loves skating and competing but as others have said a low percentage of back surgeries are actually successful and the consequences can be DIRE.

I certainly do wish him well and he'll be in my thoughts...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Great post skateluvr!

I know a few people that have had back surgeries, all have gotten worse with time and then had more and more surgeries. Seems like an endless spiral downward from what I've seen. I would be very leery before starting on this path.....

My ex-husband is a spine surgeon and he won't touch a patient who has already had spine surgery because the success rate of subsequent surgeries is extremely low. I just think it's crazy for someone who has any sort of back injury to continue doing something like quadruple jumps. I can maybe understand in some situations, such as basketball, where the players can make millions more by extending their careers a few years. But Plushy is already a legend and he won't really make much more doing shows as a 2 time gold medalist rather than just a gold medalist (which obviously is a best case scenario and somewhat unlikely if Chan continues to skate well). I hope ego or pressure from the Russian federation don't force him to make a poor decision because back injuries are so unpredictable.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
My mom's best friend had her back fused a year or so ago and she's so much better, so it's not all horror stories.

With skating, it's probably not solely impact that causes spine stress but I think the torque (is that the term I should be using) of the jumps as well. Though we're remarkably flexible (what marvels of engineering we are!), we're not designed to spin like corkscrews. Singles skaters have to snap themselves around in the air so many times a day, not just during performances but during practices. That must take its toll eventually. Pro skaters who maintain their jumps can ease up a bit, and pace themselves, but eligible skaters have to do the maximum to remain competitive. I hope Plushy doesn't wreck himself for an Olympic medal when he already has three perfectly good ones, one of which is gold. But some people seem to have just one speed: full throttle. You can't reason with them. They go until they drop. God bless them, it's what makes them great. Clearly Plushenko is among that number.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Though we're remarkably flexible (what marvels of engineering we are!), we're not designed to spin like corkscrews. Singles skaters have to snap themselves around in the air so many times a day, not just during performances but during practices. That must take its toll eventually.

I think this is exactly right. Many back injuries result from lifting heavy objects while bending and twisting, and it's the twisting that can cause the problems. Not only the snapping during take off but also checking the landing involves unnatural motion, and combined with the downward impact it is easy to understand how jumping can be so dangerous.

My concern for Plushy is that however he is now, it IS going to be worse as he gets older.

Nadine

Record Breaker
RT - Figure skating great, Evgeni Plushenko, says that his spine also needs to go under the knife in addition to knee surgery, which was announced earlier.

Thanks for the article. :)

Most interesting to me are Mr. Mishin's words. I agree with him. Now's the time to get any & all health problems dealt with asap, as the schedule to Sochi will be tight from here on in. And as usual, he and his pupil, Evgeni, have a well thought out plan and are sticking to it, BRAVO! :thumbsup: As always, my prayers are with Evgeni, as is my total unequivocal support. :bow: