Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko's health issues spring 2012

I am not saying his life is meaningless, but he is a skater who cannot seem to stay in retirement, Seniorita, would you dispute that? He is a skater, a champion, it is his life's work, and clearly, he does not find show skating or ANYTHING else so far fulfilling enough to let go.

Only Sochi ie Russia makes this even possible for him. Home country skaters often get points. And there might be cheating as there always is in the judged sports, a little help from this judge, from that ally? We look for fairness. If he can skate well enough, I'd love to see him get bronze which is the best he can hope for, especially with this news, and he will need help.

Why can he not retire happily after 3 Olympic medals, 3 WC's countless Gp, Euros, Russians? Clearly skating is EVERYTHING to him. Look at his actions, words after Vancouver. He felt quad should equal Gold medal (he's not alone of course.)

I know you and Nadine would take a bullett for this guy, but what did I say that is wrong? He still feels he must prove himself or he feels life without competition is flavorless. Look at what he is willing to do to his body to skate in Sochi? Who else has tried this -who would but Plushenko? Comp skating and winning is his passion. One way or another he will have to walk away from the ice for good someday. I like seeing him skate, but I wonder if there is another season after the surgeries.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Comp skating and winning is his passion. One way or another he will have to walk away from the ice for good someday. I like seeing him skate, but I wonder if there is another season after the surgeries.
    This is a good point. Although he loves to compete, the end of his career will come sooner or later. I imagine it is frustrating for him, especially as good as he looked at Euros, to have to deal with these surgeries. I cannot imagine a scenario in which he comes back from surgery and doesn't get hurt again from the pounding his spine takes landing jumps. A regular person, who doesn't wear a steel blade and jumps on hard ice, has a tough time recovering from this type of injury.

Custom Title
    I wonder if watching Patrick rack up the wins and the accolades is hard for him too. He hasn't been able to rest on his laurels long before a new kid is nipping at his heels and being called the 'best ever' by some

Exactly, Daisy. I can't imagine he wants to get a bye to the Olympics or whatever they call it is Russia, and be a shadow of his former self. I think of katarine Witt who skated beautifully in 94 Olys, but her motivation was for her parents to see her live for first time on Olympic ice. She knew she'd never medal, and she felt nothing left to prove. Her tribute to Sarajevo was moving. If Evgeni could continue with this attitude no matter what, it would be better for him and his fans. I know he does not want to meet up with Chan, or maybe several others until Sochi, so the pride in result clearly matters. I think he said he would be happy with third or bronze in an interview but I don't know which competition he was referring to. Anyone have an idea where this came from?

Custom Title
    I think it was more along the lines that he didn't have a bronze medal from the Olympics yet.

IP, do you think Plushenko, if he recovers from surgery and skates like he did at Euros has a realistic shot at the bronze in Sochi? I mean earning it, and not some political backroom deal, as I am afraid this will happen at these next Olympics in the judged sports.

Custom Title
    IP, do you think Plushenko, if he recovers from surgery and skates like he did at Euros has a realistic shot at the bronze in Sochi? I mean earning it, and not some political backroom deal, as I am afraid this will happen at these next Olympics in the judged sports.
    .... I'm not the biggest fan of Plushenko, but if he skates like he did at Euros? Absolutely. What the guy is capable of is simply beyond my comprehension. No one competing in Sochi will likely be as mentally strong as he, and that's a significant portion of the battle right there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    .... I'm not the biggest fan of Plushenko, but if he skates like he did at Euros? Absolutely. What the guy is capable of is simply beyond my comprehension. No one competing in Sochi will likely be as mentally strong as he, and that's a significant portion of the battle right there.
    me too. I hate to even think of back surgery or what this means for his recovery, training, and future...but, that I feel Plushenko is one of the strongest male figure skating competitors (emphasis on competitor) ever, I do.

Custom Title
    I think you might be right, Emma. He's got technique, drive, and longevity in the sport. When you take everything together, his career is pretty much unparalleled.

as opposed to any other games? I'm thinking they're all equally suspect, unfortunately.

Custom Title
    These stories based on experiences from some of you scare me, too.

I just hope Evgeni will get proper feedback; prior to surgeries, on both the 'best' and 'worst' scenario from his doctor. And get second opinion by the professional in this area. Even third opinion if necessary.

I know he loves competing which put him on fire. He may feel he left something unsolved and undesired in Vancouver, and wants to prove again to the world and to himself in his own way.

Of course, as a figure skating fan, I would love to see him compete in Sochi. I would be much thrilled if he get the fourth Olympic medal in front of his home crowd. No one can do that feat except Evgeni.

But life and health issue come first. He has a family. He has a much longer life after retiring from competitive skating. He should be very careful about what he is doing concerning injury and surgery.

Evgeni is the Legend in skating, the King of Ice. I just do not want the Legend in a wheelchair in his thirties.

Whichever choice he and his team is to make, my best wishes for a complete recovery.
    Last edited by deedee1; 02-22-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I am not a big fan of his skating either, and I agree with you.

I think even a Silver is possible. With the home crowd cheering for him crazily and putting so much pressure on his opponents; Patrick, Yuzuru, and even on Arthur, who all are aiming and fighting for their very first Olympic medal.
    The tensions created among the competitors at the 'once-in-every-four year' Olympic game is nothing like the usual Worlds.

Considering the reports on his knee injury prior to the competitions, what he did at the recent Nationals and Euro was just amaging.
    The moment he took the ice and looked straight into the eyes of judges at the opening pose, I saw icy flames burning up in his blue eyes, and knew instantly that this guy would never fall or pop any jumps...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I cannot imagine a scenario in which he comes back from surgery and doesn't get hurt again from the pounding his spine takes landing jumps. A regular person, who doesn't wear a steel blade and jumps on hard ice, has a tough time recovering from this type of injury.
    Plushenko is not a regular person. He has proved it numerous times. If anyone can do it, that'll be Plushenko. He might be against all odds, and comeback strong and compete in Sochi and win another Olympic medal.

I absolutely believe that if Plushenko skated like how he skated at this year's Europeans, he'd be on Olympic podium at Sochi.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 02-22-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Plushenko is not a regular person. He has proved it numerous times. If anyone can do it, that'll be Plushenko. He might be against all odds, and comeback strong and compete in Sochi and win another Olympic medal.
    What I meant was that someone who isn't continuing to punish their bodies doing triples and quads would have trouble recovering from back surgery. This really has nothing to do with Plushenko's will or dedication. I think if you have had a back injury you would understand that this isn't a matter of fighting through the pain, because it really isn't about the pain. It's more that you could end up partially paralyzed, dead nerves in your legs, sciatica, and other irreversible conditions. He's 29 and probably has the back of a 50 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    What I meant was that someone who isn't continuing to punish their bodies doing triples and quads would have trouble recovering from back surgery. This really has nothing to do with Plushenko's will or dedication. I think if you have had a back injury you would understand that this isn't a matter of fighting through the pain, because it really isn't about the pain. It's more that you could end up partially paralyzed, dead nerves in your legs, sciatica, and other irreversible conditions. He's 29 and probably has the back of a 50 year old.
    this is where my dad is with his neck. His right side goes numb randomly, and is constantly in that state of "waking up/tingly" feeling. If he takes a fall wrong or has aany type of accident really he could become paralyzed all the way down... it's scary. All because at sixteen he was stupid and didn't wear a seatbelt and he and his buddy went joyriding... and he played hard after that too... still does, except now his body has just said "NO MORE!"

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast