I've been offered a job | Golden Skate

I've been offered a job

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The Seavey Family (Mushing celebs up here) is persuing me as a web and social media guru. It would require me living in Seward Alaska in the summer months and I could live in Kenai in the winter if I prefered. I have not made a decision yet. I meet with Danny tomorrow to get down to the details. He's not *pressuring* for an answer, but I think he really wants me to take the position. I loved working for Dallas in Anchorage, and I do miss it, I'm just not sure I want to live in Seward (great little community, but it's even smaller than Kenai, and I'd be away from family and friends, and I'm already enough of a wallflower). I have a lot of concerns, even though I am leaning towards saying yes. I'm hoping this meeting tomorrow will give me the information I need to make a decision that I can stick with. It'd be a long term commitment (he says at the minimum he wants three years). I wouldn't mind that, it'd be steady work, and depending on how we work it out photography can still happen.

So Yeah, I dunno... I've been mulling it over for a few days. It came pretty much out of the blue - though I think he hinted at it when we talked a couple months back - but I really just don't know. I'm one of those over planner types, so I think that's what bugs me most. I have never actually been persued like this before for a job.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess this is a tough decision for you, toni. think it over very carefully, and may you be satisified with your final decision. Good luck!

Big decision - but what an exciting opportunity for you to get paid for doing what you love with people you love! Also, it sounds like great experience since your web and social guruhood would now be professional. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but did your experience at Goldenskate have anything to do with this? :thumbsup:) Congratulations on the offer!

Btw - if things should go south and you find you can't stand the job or the place, you would not be forced to stay. A commitment to stay three years is not slavery.

That's wonderful news, Toni. Whether you accept or decline the offer, how great to be pursued by people in a field you love so much.

One point that occurs to me in terms of your relocating. You say that Seward is even smaller than your present community, and you worry about making new friends. I think that a small community is likely to welcome you in a lot more easily than a large one. For one thing, they'll be thrilled to meet someone new! You'll be that fascinating and exotic soul from over yonder. Besides, these days you're able to stay connected to everyone you know, however far away. Look at how we all communicate with you from goodness knows where—Europe and Japan and even Latin America. If you choose to stay where you are, that's fine, but the move might not be as isolating as you fear.

Keep us posted! You'll be a wonderfully articulate media guru for mushing if you take this job. This we can all vouch for here on GS. But if you decide to wait for something else, you'll excel in whatever comes along next. Take your time, mull things over, and then go for whatever you choose. We'll be rooting for you.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Congratulations!!
Ask yourself these questions as you consider: Is this something I want to do? Will not taking the position be something I would regret when I get older?
Good luck!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations!!
Ask yourself these questions as you consider: Is this something I want to do? Will not taking the position be something I would regret when I get older?
Good luck!
Other questions....what can I add to my resume and how will it help with future jobs??? Is the pay good enough??? Do I already feel happy???

3 years is a very short time in a job.

I have other questions, but I have to run right now.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Toni, congratulations on being well and truly pursued. If you take the job, those 3 years will just whiz by--as they will do if you don't take the job.

After 3 years, would you rather be a person with real, live paid for web guru job on your resume, or would you rather have 3 years of whatever it is you think is likely to be on your resume in 3 years if you don't take the job? If this is work you would like, I hope you will think about it very, very seriously.

It is just not that easy these days to find a job you really like, and I know you love mushing and the dogs...nothing is ever likely to be really perfect...and you can spend part of the year in Kenai.

I've lived in a very small town (population 800), and I agree with Olympia, it was easier to get to know people there than in the larger places I've lived and worked, partially because everyone socialized via their churches as much as anywhere else in that small town.

My best wishes on this, really.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Still waiting to get the call that we're ready for our chat... I'm still waffling... I just don't have enough info... hopefully this will give me a more definite idea of whether I will take it or not...

jcoates

Medalist
Good Luck with whatever decision you make Toni. I'm sure you'll be fantastic if you take the offer.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's amazing what can be accomplished when one party is "desperate" to have someone say "yes". At this point I'm all for the job. It's not officially mine just because I wanted one more day to bounce it around with people I trust and talk everything out with, but it's a yes. I have him talked down to a two week on two week off plan for Seward. That gives me the freedom that he and I both want for my photography business (the joys of working with a fellow "small business" owner), but also gives me a steady paycheck. With that in mind he wants me to fall in love with "his" hometown and up my time in Seward, but to start out this is what we have planned. This also puts me at an hourly pay (way more than I expected, though, to start out) and we'll be retooling it once we figure out just what my hours are going to be. With it being social media he's still very new, and we want to figure out what a reasonable goal is for this media as well. He also is talking extra compensation for my photography, but again I don't want to nail everything down until we can see just what it is I will be able to do within all of this.

The biggest perk is the media passes I'll be getting to different events! (Maybe he's right and I am a sled dog race fanantic!)

I feel SO much better now that I know a little bit more about what is to be expected and that I have a little more control than I thought. He's talking way more long term than three, but didn't want to scare me off too soon! LOL But some of that requires a full time move to Seward which at this point I'm not willing to do (obviously) lol... I'd have the job that is being offered now as long as I want it - do it.

Woo hoo! :party2: This is so amazing, Toni - to be able to negotiate the parameters the way you've done AND to look forward to good pay AND to be able to do work that you're going to love AND to be able to keep building your photography business on the side ... magnificently done! I'm very happy for you!

There is a career change book called "Do What You Love, the Money Will Follow." You are a living example of that.

And PS - yes, you're a sled dog race fanatic. ;)

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Toni, that sounds fantastic! Congratulations on getting such a nice offer! Even if you change your mind and don't take it, it was great to be pursued I'm sure. And it sounds like a great opportunity!

I just followed the YQ and of course Iditarod is up next, so this is more fun dog sledding news for me.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well I just sent off my email saying that - per our discussion today - I'm ready and willing to take the job. If everything is still good (I'd forgotten a committment for next race season that could be a conflict) then I would start monday. If you follow the Seavey men at all (Dan, Mitch & Dallas are all running this year) chances are I will be the one doing the official tweeting and blog posts... not out on the trail, mind you, but from the warmth of my room! The more I think about that part of the job the more I'm freaking out excited!

I was bad and didn't follow the Quest. I was having personal issues and just wasn't feeling it... and I was scrapbooking lol

seniorita

Record Breaker
Oh I m sorry I missed this earlier, congrats for the new job, :clap:by your posts it seems exciting for you although I dont quite understood what Seavey Family guru is :)
Doing a job you are excited about is a bless I think!